Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Gradient (GRD) is an independent elite capsuleer unit affiliated with the Minmatar Republic?  Read more here

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: My struggle  (Read 3081 times)

Lyn Farel

Re: My struggle
« Reply #15 on: 22 Aug 2012, 04:36 »

This is absolutely repulsive to Azdan and he called them out on it but there's absolutely nothing I can do about it beyond that point because I'm one person, in a Punisher against an entire corp and alliance.

This makes it very difficult, if not impossible, to actually do anything with Azdan apart from sit in channels and on the forums and shake his finger at people while trying to preach a different message. Not only is this not fun, it will eventually be used against him in RP as well. So, I have no idea how to proceed. I didn't actually write this post to rant (though I guess it seems like that's exactly what I'm doing), but simply to share some of my personal struggles and frustration with those that want to listen.

Make contacts, find friends, build strong relationships and ties with other people that have access to more projected power than your young character. If you can bring your friends on the negociation table, it might change a lot of things.

Look at the ILF for example. Not that the ILF can't defend themselves, but when that minmatar militia corp came ICly derping with them, quickly transforming itself into a war, the ILF got a lot of support and help offers. Or well, I know that I was part of them, even if the war stopped just before I started to move in their area of operations.

Also, what Merdaneth said is probably a good advice. I never thought about it that way but there is also the fact that whoever your character seems to be, he tends to answer to most of the related posts on the IGS to his faction, be them trolls or not. Just don't. Be more selective. I used to do that too in my first months on the IGS and it's well... I can't find the word for it but it may be also a reason why you feel so much that way.

Just pick up more carefully the discussions in which you want your character to take part.

Off topic, I know - but was the title of this thread a conscious reference, or completely unintentional?

This is totally out of mein kampfort zone.  :D

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #16 on: 22 Aug 2012, 04:50 »

Off topic, I know - but was the title of this thread a conscious reference, or completely unintentional?

This is totally out of mein kampfort zone.  :D

*groan*

( ;) )

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #17 on: 22 Aug 2012, 08:12 »

Azdan is a three-dimensional character who is a joy to interact with, who sticks to his beliefs and defends his people without being an asshole about it. In short... youre doinitrite.

Remember, a lot of people who play Amarr do so because "I WANNA BE THE BAD GUY HUEHUEHUE" not because they want to play the faction to its utmost. You get this in the Minmatar side, to a lesser extent.

Best to just ignore and/or kill them, when the chance arises.

Ava

Halete

• Egger
  • Just wants a friend...
« Reply #18 on: 22 Aug 2012, 09:39 »

You really bring Azdan to life and that's what's important.

The unfortunate side-effect of being in a minority is that yes, you will feel as though your hands are tied, speaking from personal experience. But rather than working against the grain, work with those who will interact meaningfully with your character and build from there.

I wish I could offer more helpful advice, but just know that your character is a pleasure.

Red

• That Flighty Broad
  • Clonejack
  • Live every week like it's Shark Week.
« Reply #19 on: 22 Aug 2012, 12:33 »

I'm gonna go ahead and hop on the "I love Azdan" boat, even though I might be a little late to the thread-party :3

Every time he gives us all that little frown of his when someone says something uncouth, it makes my heart soar XD

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #20 on: 22 Aug 2012, 12:42 »

dat frown

Lyn Farel

« Reply #21 on: 22 Aug 2012, 15:42 »

He started to frown again ?

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #22 on: 22 Aug 2012, 17:19 »

* Matariki Rain contemplates a Summit metric--much like weather reporting--based on Azdan's expressions.

Khloe

• Silent Watcher
  • Egger
« Reply #23 on: 22 Aug 2012, 17:39 »

30% chance of blasphemy, and a slight dusting of disapproval during the evening hours.

ArtOfLight

• Retired Combat Pilot
  • Omelette
  • Bright Stars, Clear Horizons
« Reply #24 on: 22 Aug 2012, 17:54 »

I love you guys. 8)
"A man's courage can be measured by what he does, his wisdom by what he chooses not to do and his character by the sum of both."

Valdezi

• Pod Captain
    • Stories by me
« Reply #25 on: 22 Aug 2012, 18:23 »

Make contacts, find friends, build strong relationships and ties with other people that have access to more projected power than your young character. If you can bring your friends on the negociation table, it might change a lot of things.

Look at the ILF for example. Not that the ILF can't defend themselves, but when that minmatar militia corp came ICly derping with them, quickly transforming itself into a war, the ILF got a lot of support and help offers. Or well, I know that I was part of them, even if the war stopped just before I started to move in their area of operations.

I've always thought that the strength of the ILF is in its diplomacy - on the friends and allies it can call on if some filth pirates decide to wardec. Valkyr was the latest example, but DAMARCARES when the militias temp blued to protect the ILF tower was pretty special also. I guess Saxon has a number of admirers out there.

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #26 on: 22 Aug 2012, 21:52 »

Do I need to make another throwaway frowny alt?  >.>

Lyn Farel

« Reply #27 on: 23 Aug 2012, 04:51 »

If I were Azdan, me would create an Azdan's Frown character asap...

I've always thought that the strength of the ILF is in its diplomacy - on the friends and allies it can call on if some filth pirates decide to wardec. Valkyr was the latest example, but DAMARCARES when the militias temp blued to protect the ILF tower was pretty special also. I guess Saxon has a number of admirers out there.

Oh in my case it was more an issue of piracy, really. Invoke piracy with proofs and you will be surprised to see how many NRDS supporters answer to the call.

ArtOfLight

• Retired Combat Pilot
  • Omelette
  • Bright Stars, Clear Horizons
« Reply #28 on: 23 Aug 2012, 05:12 »

To be fair, you do have something of an advantage. The Intaki are pretty well liked and they're "rebelling" against a group of people that aren't so well liked (the Federation).

The Amarr are neither well liked, nor are they rebelling against a greater enemy. They are the enemy to most people. Heck, I've seen enough people say that the Empire is Public Enemy One even moreso than Sansha or any of the other threats in the cluster.
"A man's courage can be measured by what he does, his wisdom by what he chooses not to do and his character by the sum of both."

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #29 on: 23 Aug 2012, 06:46 »

That's why it's so much more fun to gain that support: It's a challenge.

I think the 'monolithic nature' of the Empire has been overemphasized by the Amarrian community as well as by others. That makes it hard for people to differentiate between Amarr and Amarr and results in a "either you're against or for all Amarr" outlook.

You'd have to either work against that and gain various support for you or roll with it and gain support within the  - at the moment imho weak - Amarrian bloc.
Pages: 1 [2] 3