Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

a lone miner was detained and executed on 29.11YC105 for "suspicious curiosity" after asking passing Imperial Fleet ships "where they were going with all those guns".

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Pirate militias MkII  (Read 2911 times)

Rodj Blake

• Egger
  • Amarr Victor Meldrew
Re: Pirate militias MkII
« Reply #15 on: 06 Dec 2010, 06:55 »

Once Internet Walking goes live, you could have pirate agents in seedy bars in high-sec stations..

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #16 on: 06 Dec 2010, 18:44 »

I wouldn't make nullsec areas part of FW. Mechanics wise, FW has always been differently flavoured due to the lack of bubbles and bombs (which is why I like it tbh).  An aggressive expansion by various pirate groups into lowsec would spice things up a bit I reckon.

I disagree. Empire FW should be an entirely different thing to pirate FW. Empire FW is supposed to be a way for individuals and lone corps to try out larger scale PvP, no?

Pirate FW should be a way to complicate things for the 0.0 powerblocks.  Also to let individuals and lone corps get a decent crack at trying out 0.0 without grovelling to the people that are already there. The backup from NPC's would compensate for the lack of support from a full alliance (hopefully).
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Jikahr

• Egger
  • Grumpy Cat Amarr
« Reply #17 on: 21 Dec 2010, 17:16 »

I really like the idea of Pirate Militias, as well as Pirate nations.  :yar:

I disagree that this is something that should be done in Null-sec.

I agree that it should be done in low-sec.

I suggested an idea similar to this on Mynxee the Pirate's "Making low-sec matter" blogsite. Mynxee is the player liason to CCP. The game developers are currently looking for ways to increase interest in low-sec, which they will be reviewing this February.

http://criminallowsec.ideascale.com/

My suggestion (a bit wordy).

http://criminallowsec.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Make-faction-war-about-actual-FACTIONS/79300-9665

Why low-sec and not Null-sec? (or, AND null-sec).

Several reasons.

For one, CCP considers low-sec 'NPC ruled space', and null-sec 'Player run space'.

Currently, CCP thinks low-sec is 'broken', and they are looking for solutions to fix it. They don't think there is anything wrong with Null-sec at the moment, since it is space which is completely player run. If players want to blob, that's the way it happens. If Null-sec is boring, that's just the way it happens. CCP has a 'hands off' policy in that part of the sandbox.

Your suggestion of having NPC Pirate Navy rats protecting Pirate space really would be like creating islands of 'Pirate high-sec' in the middle of null-sec. It would also be using NPCs to do it, which is exactly the opposite of what CCP intends.

Secondly, consider from a role-playing perspective where Pirates would come from.

Pirates are, by and large members of the Faction Navy or Militia that desert or mutineer. The only thing that prevents them from doing this in high sec is the stringent security/ survelliance. Once they get into low-sec, it becomes a different story, since low-sec is the place where the Empires have difficulty enforcing their own boundaries. It's the very first place your character would have the opportunity to mutineer. All of the Pirates in low-sec were once presumably part of the Navies of Empire. Of course, some 'Privateers' are Pirates that are still loyal to Faction war.

NPC Pirates that desert from the Empire's Navies would naturally be drawn to those Pirates within their own faction (e.g Amarr/ Blood Raiders). These pirates would likely set up camp in a contested system within their own Empire's space, so a contested system in Amarr low-sec could become Amarr, Minmatar OR Blood raider space for example.

If this happened in a plex, as it currently does in Faction war, it could make for some quite vicious and meaningful PvP fighting without all the blobbing of null-sec.

Instead of having a system switch over from Amarr to Minmatar sovereignty, (Gallente/ Caldari) you could have a stage where the system could be claimed by a Pirate faction. As a player Pirate, you might even team up with one Militia just to decontest certain systems, only to quit the Militia and capture the plex for your Pirate faction when the moment is right.

So instead of a map of low-sec being 'Amarr/ Minmatar' or 'Gallente/ Caldari', it would look more like a patchwork as NPC Pirate factions fought with Empire and each other to create their own little low-sec nations. The Pirate nations would rush in to fill the power void in contested systems.

I'm not sure about creating a Pirate high-sec defended by Uber pirate rats, but I would like to see Pirate faction owned stations. These stations would have LP stores, you could do missions for the pirates, etc. Those with a terrible rating with that Pirate faction would not be allowed to dock. Normal destructable Pirate rats might do well enough for these systems.

As a player you now have a choice when going into low sec faction war. Fight for your own Empire faction, join the other Factions Militia, or join one of the four Pirate factions.

Yes, you can still be your own independent Pirate corporation, but you will lose out on some of the benefits such as LP stores and docking rights. However, Pirate factions/ Alliances would also be fighting the other factions for control over territory, and there is strength in numbers. Also, if you fight on behalf of your Pirate's militia you might even get your own 'private' Pirate system and station that only you and your alliance (and allies) can dock in.

It also promotes some role playing guidelines for being a Pirate. You aren't just the 'YARR-KILL' caricature, but shape your Pirate character around the NPC factions from the Prime Fiction, such as a blood-drinking religious zealot Blood Raider, a wise-cracking Anarchistic Gurista, and so forth.

Natural places for these Pirate stations would be already well known Pirate systems, such as Amamake, Rancer, Old Man Star, etc. High->Low-sec systems, or Low->Null-sec would be suitable locations as well.

Of course, the Sanshas will also be pushing into high-sec and might actually be able to capture a high-sec system or two, establishing a station there.

Currently training Verbosity to level V.

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
« Reply #18 on: 21 Dec 2010, 18:24 »

Once Internet Walking goes live, you could have pirate agents in seedy bars in high-sec stations..

I'd appreciate L1 and 2 'in-space' pirate agents in Lowsec. imo it'd really ease up starting standings grind for people who want to go 'pirate' without opening up easy pirate LP farming.

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #19 on: 21 Dec 2010, 18:55 »

I'd appreciate L1 and 2 'in-space' pirate agents in Lowsec. imo it'd really ease up starting standings grind for people who want to go 'pirate' without opening up easy pirate LP farming.

And coincidentally good for druggists. \o/
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Myrhial Arkenath

• Omelette
  • One does not simply walk into Curse.
    • Diary of a Pod Pilot
« Reply #20 on: 22 Dec 2010, 06:02 »

CCP has hinted at this in the past, but as even what we have of FW is hardly getting any love I don't think we are going to see this stuff anytime soon. I really wish I'd be proven wrong there, but looking at what is planned for the future, nope, maybe in 2012 or later. /bittervet

CEO of Ghost Festival :: Executor of Naraka.
Diary of a Pod Pilot

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
« Reply #21 on: 22 Dec 2010, 06:31 »

I'm not in favor of this, but that is primarily because I'm against standings as a loyalist tool altogether. For a shades-of-grey world like EVE, the mission-based standings number is completely inappropriate.

Merdaneth could betray the Empire tomorrow and still have them in good standing as long as he doesn't do missions for any 'opposing team'.
Pages: 1 [2]