Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

As part of its political goal to make the State stronger economically, Lai Dai is the primary supporter of the School of Applied Knowledge. Check out more here!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Gallente "cyberpunk" Aesthetic  (Read 11351 times)

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
Re: Gallente "cyberpunk" Aesthetic
« Reply #15 on: 10 Feb 2012, 00:16 »

When I think of Cyberpunk in EVE, I actually think of the State, specifically the Guristas. 

Outcasts from a grinding, domineering, and cutthroat state utterly controlled by corporations, a large and sharp gulf between the rich and the poor, the emphasis on technology, all of it, it seemed like the State could serve as a solid backdrop for a lot of Gibsony themes.
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #16 on: 10 Feb 2012, 01:15 »

Oh, certainly - like was said, the Gallente aren't neccesarily the best examples of Cyberpunk themes in their PF. However, aesthetically, they did seem to have something of cyberpunkish thing going for a while.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Repentence Tyrathlion

• Omelette
  • RIP?
« Reply #17 on: 10 Feb 2012, 02:20 »

Serpentis?

Whenever Serpentis have had a cameo in my story arcs, it typically means something batshit is about to happen.  The sort of people who'll make something freaky just because they can, and will then sell it or use it to the best of their ability.  It's not quite cyberpunk in the classic sense, but it's not a million miles off.

Of course, actual Serp RPers might disagree :P

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #18 on: 10 Feb 2012, 05:18 »

All of eve had a cyberpunk aesthetic for a while.

Publius Valerius

« Reply #19 on: 10 Feb 2012, 07:44 »

Maybe it's because I'm freaking ancient1, but when I looked at the old art for the Gallente, I didn't think 'influenced by cyberpunk', I thought 'influenced by 2001, Space:1999, Logan's Run, Buck Rogers in the 25th Century and Aeon Flux'.

1To hear it suggested that cyberpunk is 'classic sci-fi' makes me twitch:  'cause Neuromancer dropped when I was a freshman in high school, y'all.

Logan's Run, Space:1999, to many straight linies; the clothes arent funky enough (but how ever with the current clothing option they come closer again)

Aeon Flux and Buck Rogers in the 25th Century; I can see both of them... ehm I would say they are closer to the mood.

Now to 2001. Nothing comes closes to 2001. Nothing... end of discussion for me. :P

P.S. And yes; you are to old :P
P.P.S Can someone write for me a hate comment on the EVE Forum :lol: I havent a activ account... it is just two little things here and here. I would like a change from "autonomous realm" to "independent realm", and "together with satellite states the Ammatar Mandate and Khanid Kingdom," to "together with satellite states the Ammatar Mandate and the independent Khanid Kingdom," thats it; but dont forget me the hate :P.  Maybe add the comment here.

When I think of Cyberpunk in EVE, I actually think of the State, specifically the Guristas. 

Outcasts from a grinding, domineering, and cutthroat state utterly controlled by corporations, a large and sharp gulf between the rich and the poor, the emphasis on technology, all of it, it seemed like the State could serve as a solid backdrop for a lot of Gibsony themes.

So true... from the story outline, it would fit nicely, like Lallara said: "In the cyberpunk genre there usually is monolithic entities (corporate/criminal/governmental) that actively oppress the subcultures that search for freedom within the confines of the society that survive by living on the cutting edge." But aesthetics of the old character creator hasnt give that mood for the Caldari, and like I said... It was just a general feeling on the first sight, with minium amount of information. With that on the backround their where the "Sci fi technokraten".
« Last Edit: 10 Feb 2012, 10:52 by Publius Valerius »

Bastian Valoron

• Egger
« Reply #20 on: 10 Feb 2012, 13:47 »

Firstly, it's not true that cyberpunk themes are not being explored in the Federal context, there are for instance bounty hunters, self-acclaimed police forces and many others who are doing interesting role-playing out there.

I see the Gallente PF pretty much the same way as Lallara. It's all about corruption, manipulation, secret deals and misdirection. One aspect of how Caldari State's cyberpunk/capitalism might differ from that of the Federation, is how much things seem to be out of control. For me the State feels the ultimate pinnacle of state monopoly, perhaps with flavors from Half-life 2, 1984 or Gattaca/In Time. I tend to associate works like Deus ex, Brave New World or Blade Runner more strongly with the Federation.

Besides player preferences, there are practical considerations that drive people away from darker themes. When you start a new character or project, you are literally easy to shoot down and the community will ignore you because you are most likely doing something 'wrong' and it is not clear whether you will be worth of anyone's time. Easiest way to get rid of these obstacles is to be nice, amusing and stand for nothing. I don't think there's much that can be done to address this issue, it's just the way it works.

Kohiko Sun

• Duckling
  • Egger
« Reply #21 on: 10 Feb 2012, 22:51 »

Hmm, I'd always felt the State was cyberpunk, and the Gallente were biopunk - Poteque and most other cloning megas come from there, organic-looking ships, rogue drones having biological bits sometimes, "cellular immolation used by the Federation to put to death the traitor Eturrer" (from Evelopedia), etc.
Will work for pretty sig.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #22 on: 11 Feb 2012, 12:39 »

Good points everyone. 

I think my claim was entirely limited to the 'visual' realms.  The Gallente PF just seems to be of a very different flavor than the first few years of 'artwork' we saw related to the Federation. 

That's given me an idea though, I think we should have a capsuleer detective agency ;)  Gallente-run capsuleer private investigators. Neo-future noire! :)  Now to see about getting an appropriate hat and jacket for the character creation screen...

http://www.zastavki.com/pictures/1920x1200/2011/Games_Detective_LA_Noire_029933_.jpg

:P

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #23 on: 11 Feb 2012, 14:10 »

There have been several times when my PC could have used a PI. I approve of that idea.
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Publius Valerius

« Reply #24 on: 11 Feb 2012, 14:17 »

Good points everyone. 

I think my claim was entirely limited to the 'visual' realms.  The Gallente PF just seems to be of a very different flavor than the first few years of 'artwork' we saw related to the Federation. 

That's given me an idea though, I think we should have a capsuleer detective agency ;)  Gallente-run capsuleer private investigators. Neo-future noire! :)  Now to see about getting an appropriate hat and jacket for the character creation screen...

http://www.zastavki.com/pictures/1920x1200/2011/Games_Detective_LA_Noire_029933_.jpg

From me too I mean... from the 'visual' and 'aesthetic' of the old character creator.

About the noire style detective.... looks nice....I like it^^...

Besides player preferences, there are practical considerations that drive people away from darker themes. When you start a new character or project, you are literally easy to shoot down and the community will ignore you because you are most likely doing something 'wrong' and it is not clear whether you will be worth of anyone's time. Easiest way to get rid of these obstacles is to be nice, amusing and stand for nothing. I don't think there's much that can be done to address this issue, it's just the way it works.

I think one way out is: You can be nice and dont mean it :P

Silas can you or someone else write for me a hate comment on the EVE Forum :lol: I havent a activ account... it is just two little things here and here. I would like a change from "autonomous realm" to "independent realm", and "together with satellite states the Ammatar Mandate and Khanid Kingdom," to "together with satellite state the Ammatar Mandate and the independent Khanid Kingdom," thats it; but dont forget me the hate :P.  Maybe add the comment here. It would be really nice.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #25 on: 11 Feb 2012, 14:43 »

Publius, if CCP says its an autonomous realm, it's an autonomous realm.

Publius Valerius

« Reply #26 on: 11 Feb 2012, 14:56 »

Publius, if CCP says its an autonomous realm, it's an autonomous realm.

I know.... I know they are with their...B-Sh*t... worst than any army... I know... they will before change the main page.... change anything else.... what mean... since the change.. my Charakter is for shit.  :cry:...And it isnt even like a little baseling problem... because before Abraxes we had no infos.. thast why I wasnt going to far with my char....

But that the Kingdom is independent was canon before:
"While acknowledging the rightful reign of Jamyl I as Empress of Amarr, the Khanid Kingdom will remain an independent nation." khanid kingdom granted privy council seat

or implied here:

amarr empress announces massive investment package for caldari state
The Khanid Kingdom (Chronicle)

So thats I have style my char this way... so annoying... plz add least: Someone write a comment... so that it is in the forum....

It would be really nice..

-Fly save PV
« Last Edit: 11 Feb 2012, 14:59 by Publius Valerius »

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
  • The Dark Powers Are Always Happy To Help
« Reply #27 on: 11 Feb 2012, 16:18 »

Good points everyone. 

Psst.

*points at Silver's Syndicate Files*  http://silvernight-fiction.blogspot.com/

Valdezi

• Pod Captain
    • Stories by me
« Reply #28 on: 12 Feb 2012, 01:21 »

I know this prolly isn't what you meant but has anyone here played the pen and paper RPG Cyberpunk by R.Talsorian? It's a great system. I am going to run a campaign using those rules set in the Federation once my current DnD game finishes.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #29 on: 12 Feb 2012, 03:19 »

I know this prolly isn't what you meant but has anyone here played the pen and paper RPG Cyberpunk by R.Talsorian? It's a great system. I am going to run a campaign using those rules set in the Federation once my current DnD game finishes.

I have, quite a bit. 

Love the gameworld and the source books.  Amazingly well done, very intricate. 

Loathed the system.  At a certain level, your character would do one of two things, succeed or utter critical failure. That said, their empathy/cyberpsychosis rules were brilliant. 

My favorite RPG campaign of all time was a Cyberpink campaign actually, playing cops of all things.
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov
Pages: 1 [2] 3