Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Evanda Char's voluval mark is the "Track of the Wolf"?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Everyone is a clone  (Read 12246 times)

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
Everyone is a clone
« on: 29 May 2011, 04:09 »

Aura tutorials on Duality atm. select number 01 - How Tutorials Work. Listen to Aura

Mentions how brain is modified, and Aura is installed in a doodad and will always be there. ALWAYS.

Anyway:

There is a section about:

"Now that your original body has been euthanised without complications, you are ready to begin your new life as a capsuleer"

So...
\o/

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
Re: Everyone is a clone
« Reply #1 on: 29 May 2011, 04:17 »

This document is issued to all graduate capsuleers, regardless of their ethnicity or background.

In the document, various fundamental human rights are outlined and defended, including the freedom to travel, freedom to work for a corporation of one's choosing, and freedom of speech within Gallente Federation borders.

The document is somewhat redundant for capsuleers, who enjoy these freedoms and others even greater. Despite this obvious fact, the Federation authorities have chosen to issue the license all the same, viewing it as a symbolic gesture, and a reminder of the Federation's core values.

Freedom of Operation License
These documents clear the holder from numerous by-laws and responsibilities within the Caldari State and abroad.

They are issued to capsuleers, who typically operate above the law and are accountable to few people. All this document does is formalize that reality, and as such, is entirely redundant and pointless.

The hypercapitalist corporate state of the Caldari is awash with these sorts of documents, however, and the tendency towards needless bureaucracy is simply a part of corporate life.

Clearance Documents
Tribal sponsorhip is a longstanding tradition within the Minmatar Republic. Typically sponsorship is sought by an individual before embarking on a journey away from their tribe, or as part of a corporation's employment process. After a sometimes lengthy approval process, a Minmatar is then able to proceed with the full support of their tribal peers.

Typically, a citizen of the Republic will seek sponsorship from only their family tribe, and this is usually sufficient to last their lifetime, barring any dramatic changes. In some rare circumstances, sponsorship is granted from all of the seven tribes to particularly promising individuals.

In the unique case of the capsuleers, the seven tribes of the Republic have agreed to blanket-issue sponsorships as an attempt to encourage loyalty and cooperation.

is an item called "Tribal Sponsorship"
A document representing submission to the authority of the Amarrian Empress, Jamyl Sarum.

Notably, the language surrounding capsuleer fealty has been significantly watered down, revealing that even the Amarr Empire is willing to acknowledge the reality of capsuleer freedom and autonomy.

is the showinfo description of an item called "Token Of Submission", from the introductory mission on Duplicity test server atm.

Capsuleers now have no physical, family or legal connections or obligations to their origins.
\o/

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 29 May 2011, 04:22 »

Then why would an Amarrian become a capsuleer?

You commit suicide and become a clone as part of the program.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Ciarente

• Owner of the thickest rose-colored glasses in the Cluster
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #3 on: 29 May 2011, 05:05 »

I'm going to go with 'This is how they do it now, but when I became a capsuleer ...."
Silver Night > I feel like we should keep Cia in reserve. A little bit for Cia's sanity, but mostly because her putting on her mod hat is like calling in Rommel to deal with a paintball game.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2011, 05:49 »

All of those four documents are very interesting tbh, but I'd still point out...

"They are issued to capsuleers, who typically operate above the law and are accountable to few people"

The scope is still there, not some arbitrary "No, never" from CCP.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #5 on: 29 May 2011, 06:52 »

Aura tutorials on Duality atm. select number 01 - How Tutorials Work. Listen to Aura

Mentions how brain is modified, and Aura is installed in a doodad and will always be there. ALWAYS.

Anyway:

There is a section about:

"Now that your original body has been euthanised without complications, you are ready to begin your new life as a capsuleer"

So...
Relevant topic is relevant
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #6 on: 29 May 2011, 07:27 »

I'm going to go with 'This is how they do it now, but when I became a capsuleer ...."

This tbh. I'm not retconning a couple years' worth of RP just because of some tutorials I'll never take.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #7 on: 29 May 2011, 08:39 »

Then why would an Amarrian become a capsuleer?

You commit suicide and become a clone as part of the program.

from the amarr epic arc, committing suicide is a way to avoid a name/reputation being tarnished.

e.g. "Your actions have brought great shame upon your family, however we will offer you a choice:
Plead innocent, and your name and family will be ruined, and you will end up a slave
Plead guilty, and you will be executed and turned into a capsuleer, and none of this will ever be mentioned"

Which would have odd implications, and would also explain why so many Amarr capsuleers go "lol" and do typical capsuleer activities of exploding things.

vOv
\o/

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #8 on: 29 May 2011, 09:41 »

Capsuleers now have no physical, family or legal connections or obligations to their origins.

Nothing in those item descriptions seems to suggest a character has no family or connections to their origins.  Merely says they aren't bound by the laws of the land any longer.

But yea, with most here in saying, "Back in my day we had to use our prime body til the thing wore down to a nub... BOTH WAYS!" :anti-whipper-snapper:

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
« Reply #9 on: 29 May 2011, 09:57 »

Very interesting louella, thanks for the info

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #10 on: 29 May 2011, 11:00 »

So...

That is bad and CCP should feel bad.
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #11 on: 29 May 2011, 13:41 »

it just feels like stuff that I think Ken? mentioned in another thread not all that long ago:

"Here is a sci-fi setting of space exploration, interstellar corporate intrigue, mercenary wars and stellar political manouvering. You aren't part of it, go and shoot each other for lols."

:s
\o/

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #12 on: 29 May 2011, 14:34 »

This tbh. I'm not retconning a couple years' worth of RP just because of some tutorials I'll never take.

This.

A small thing, but fundamental to Mata's RP for nearly three years. Since this wasn't mentioned when I went through training, if it becomes "the way things are done now" I'll assume Mata went through it the old way. The cultural implications of all new pilots being ghosts, though, are... considerable. And alienating... and not in a good way.

I'm wishing we could sit down somewhere with whoever's guiding this stuff -- Abraxas? Dropbear? TonyG? -- talk through their ideas and come up with some responses which work for all of us.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #13 on: 29 May 2011, 16:21 »

From one perspective this new development can be seen as something that gives more freedom to the players in relation with their characters not being bound by any NPC entity.

On the other hand, it can be seen as something that actually restricts people ability to choose where their loyalties lie.

Personally I feel that it's pretty dumb.

Why would the empires create these 'demigods' to roam the stars freely?
Why would they create something that can come and compete with them?
Why would they kill the people that they have trained?

First one, of course they wouldn't.
Second one, for no reason at all. They have most of the pirate factions as examples what happens to mavericks.
Third, for legal reasons. Plausible deniability and all that.

To me this paints a picture where a capsuleer can be terminated for no repercussions whatsoever, legally they are dead and they have no possessions outside of the economy that is strictly controlled by CONCORD.

Jeepers, this whole new development can get pretty restrictive and grimdark when you put your mind to it.

But basically it means, there is nothing that you can own, outside of what you have in your hangars.
(Capability to owning anything is debatable, dead people have no possessions.)
« Last Edit: 29 May 2011, 16:23 by lallara zhuul »

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #14 on: 29 May 2011, 17:05 »

I think I'm going to stick with the "this is how it's done now" line as well, for the reasons above, but also something else I considered:

One of the things it is nigh-impossible to train a capsuleer for is the experience of being podded. Mind-body transfer is a horrifically traumatizing experience, and if the schools could prep capsuleers for it, they probably would. Furthermore, the initial implantation - which has the potential to cause brain damage if performed even in the slightest way incorrectly - wouldn't be half as bad if you could grow a clone around the implants and then transfer the subject into that body.

Here's the thing - one of the constants in EVE PF surround mind-body transfer is that it can and will screw you up if the most fractional slip in data, the most minute error, the tinyest delay is made in the process. Hence, the two desired abilities above - exposing the capsuleer to mind-body tranfer in a non-violent environment, and tranferring the capsuleer to a new body to avoid implantation damage - wouldn't be entirely safe, and in all likelyhood excessive reclonings/clone jumps would be avoided at all costs. In the intermediary years, however, the massive industry surrounding capsuleers will undoubtedly have come out with better, more accurate, and less accident-prone scanners, making controlled recloning in the schools feasible.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5