Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That cleaner bombs can remove small messes, including lingering aromas?(The Burning Life p 33)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Outlaw Lifestyles  (Read 10958 times)

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
Outlaw Lifestyles
« on: 15 Apr 2011, 17:54 »

Interesting mission text from "The Uprising - The Disappearance (1 of 4)", a mission I received from an L2 Intaki Space Police agent.

With the population explosion in recent centuries within empire space many people have found themselves without homes or jobs, and have been pushed into leaving their homeworld for greener pastures. Many of these settlers have wound up in neutral space, and some even in space historically controlled by the outlawed "pirate" organizations. These settlers often have to fight a very difficult battle to survive, against both the forces of nature and those of man.

Although the empires generally consider the areas outside of their own realm being lawless and do not recognize them as sovereign states, there actually are rules to be followed even in the most bloodthirsty and barbaric nations. Each of the pirate organizations has their own culture and history, but one thing most of them do have in common is their willingness to milk the settlements in "their" solar systems for tribute. Sometimes these settlements consist entirely of slaves which have been captured elsewhere, or free people who decided to take their chances and settle on a promising planet despite its hazardous location. Either way, these settlements are a great way for the pirate factions to recruit new members, find new slaves and extract tribute in the form of credits, foodstuffs or manufactured goods.

Normally, the pirate organizations ban all settlements in their territory from having any form of high-tech weaponry in their possession, diligently enforcing this rule. This prevents the suppressed peoples from fighting back most of the time ... but with all rules, there are exceptions.

Sadly the other three missions in this series are somewhat uninspired Mordu's turkey shoots, but from this first mission's text, I gather than in many places life outside of empire space has a decidedly Wild West feel to it a la "Firefly".  What are your thoughts on civilization beyond the borders of the great powers and the average person's reasons for going or staying there?

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
Re: Outlaw Lifestyles
« Reply #1 on: 15 Apr 2011, 18:42 »

I get this frequently as a level 3 Sansha mission.

I find it something of a wall banger for it to be in the Sansha mission pool, honestly.

I imagine the greatest reason people have to go out to the outlaw regions is for profit$$$, since 0.0 planets have truckloads of resources. Next big reason is probably freedom of (thing here), such as expression/religion.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #2 on: 16 Apr 2011, 01:55 »

Terminus Systems

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #3 on: 16 Apr 2011, 04:30 »

Down and out settlers, colonists from failed lawful system colonies, miners looking to make their fortunes, scrappers and traders eking out a living, criminals and vagabonds living the life they know best, bounty hunters, hit men, pushers, junkies, dregs, brigands, privateers, mercs, mad scientists. All the ingredients you'd expect in a nullsec spice rack.

Also, interestingly, similar to the recipe for the Roman Empire.
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Kybernetes Moros

« Reply #4 on: 16 Apr 2011, 06:50 »

Ghost and Senn managed to sum up my initial thoughts on it quite neatly; I'm under the impression that larger corporations would also conduct some of their more shady / less legal research outside the auspices of the empires and CONCORD -- if I recall correctly (and I may not, what with being entirely dependent upon second-hand accounts for this) much of the Angel Cartel's epic arc is about kicking an unauthorised Boundless Creation research operation out of Curse?

Aside from that, yeah, the typical assortment of people seeking a quick buck, criminals of all sorts, failed colonists, the odd cultist, and the rest of the rogues, ruffians and rapscallions one might expect.

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #5 on: 16 Apr 2011, 08:51 »

Yea, the above is why I face palm every time I see some new kid going for the Guristas because he wants to rebel against the evils of the Caldari State.  

I mean seriously kid, did ya not see the slave pen in that last Gurista's mission?  Or did you not make the connection when you picked up the damsel and assorted exotic dancers from the pleasure hub that they were being forced into prostitution?

These  aren't people who left the Caldari State because they wanted to stick up for the little guy.  They left the State because they have a strong urge to rape and murder the little guy and the state frowns on that sort of thing.
« Last Edit: 16 Apr 2011, 08:55 by Hamish Grayson »

Julianus Soter

• Pod Captain
« Reply #6 on: 16 Apr 2011, 09:32 »

They frown on it because it's a form of illegitimate competition. ;)

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #7 on: 16 Apr 2011, 09:36 »

:roll:

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #8 on: 16 Apr 2011, 11:20 »

Yea, the above is why I face palm every time I see some new kid going for the Guristas because he wants to rebel against the evils of the Caldari State.  

I mean seriously kid, did ya not see the slave pen in that last Gurista's mission?  Or did you not make the connection when you picked up the damsel and assorted exotic dancers from the pleasure hub that they were being forced into prostitution?

These  aren't people who left the Caldari State because they wanted to stick up for the little guy.  They left the State because they have a strong urge to rape and murder the little guy and the state frowns on that sort of thing.

Yeah, I'm not big into this either. Whether State or Federation, going to join something with far less redeeming factors because of disillusionment is eh. "the Federation has lost its way, instead of doing something about it, I shall leave"...HOWEVER, it can be seen the same way as joining a revolutionary organization. Not necessarily thinking you've joined the actual good guys

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #9 on: 16 Apr 2011, 11:31 »

There's two main reasons people join gangs, and that's survival or respect.

The Guristas offer both these options. To the citizens that can't make it in a meritocracy, gangs are the best remaining option for income, food, shelter and protection. While you could join any insular gang to get this same effect, the Guristas are the biggest, toughest, meanest, and best equipped - and, to my knowledge, the only guri organization with access to spacefaring vessels. Could be wrong though.

That covers survival. The other half would be the percentage of citizens present in every society that, due to factors of environment, upbringing, neighborhood, and if you subscribe to the belief, genetics, cannot function normally. Some children may be raised in guri neighborhoods, or by a guri brother, or even parents. Some individuals might simply be averse to normal society and seek out the underground. Some might be brought in by friends after living in the club scene for too long. Whatever the reason, some people would see gangs as a means to get the respect other citizens get from serving the State and bettering themselves.

Rebelling against the State was Fatal and Rabbit's goal. As the organization grew, however, I imagine that simply remained the leader's goal. The hoard of soldiers, probably owe their membership to one of the above two origins.
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #10 on: 16 Apr 2011, 11:54 »

Do the Guristas share the homophobia of the State?

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #11 on: 16 Apr 2011, 12:02 »

Do the Guristas share the homophobia of the State?
Judging by the fact that one of the four Guristas officers is widely known to be gay, no:

Quote from: Kaikka Peunato
Peunato, an extremely competent pilot, was forced out of the Caldari Navy when he revealed he was gay. Since joining the Guristas, Peunato has been instrumental in expanding their power and influence. Threat level: Deadly
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #12 on: 16 Apr 2011, 12:14 »

I seemed to recall something about that. So it might be that the Guristas appeal to a subset of the GLBT population within the State?

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
« Reply #13 on: 16 Apr 2011, 13:48 »

Seems there's a lack of understanding of the "pirate" mentality in this thread. It seems entirely feasible to join the Guristas as a reaction to perceived injustices in the State. The person in question feels wronged or unfairly condemned. He can also have come to the conclusion that the State is actually just as bad as those it demonizes. So, the Guristas seem like the better choice, having none of the pretenses of civilized society. "So what we hold slaves? It's not at all different from how they treat their minions." Obviously, it's not for everyone. But for some it makes perfect sense. It's the 1%er viewpoint.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."

That time comes when you've been betrayed by those who you now know to be hypocrites. That's one perspective and PF has asserted that it is a common one for the Guristas. I'd argue it's a common one for all pirates everywhere as well.
« Last Edit: 16 Apr 2011, 13:50 by GoGo Yubari »

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #14 on: 16 Apr 2011, 14:00 »

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."

This.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5