Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The 'Heaven' constellation in Curse is the former location of the Third Jove Empire and the current headquarters of the vast Angel Cartel?

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: TonyG  (Read 13365 times)

Akrasjel Lanate

• Omelette
Re: TonyG
« Reply #75 on: 09 Apr 2011, 10:43 »

There is a video from Fanfest on CCP Youtube where TonyG is reading a fragment from the new book about young Roden.

Borza

• Kuru Khai
  • Omelette
  • We come for our people
« Reply #76 on: 11 Apr 2011, 07:54 »

Aggressive hegemonising swarms?

Svetlana Scarlet

• Omelette
« Reply #77 on: 11 Apr 2011, 09:38 »

Why not? What has it really added to the story or the game?

I really like the idea of being able to be aligned, officially, some way with the faction powers; that's something CAIN wanted since we started (or at least, since I joined), so the opportunity to do so was welcome. I also think the idea of a war -- in and of itself -- was not a bad one, but the way it was kicked off, storywise, and the actually gameplay mechanics of faction warfare were lackluster (to say the least). I can think of a lot of ways I would have done it better, but the fundamental idea -- allowing characters to declare for the factions, and a way for players to jump into PvP in a low-investment way -- was a good one. I think the idea that there would be some sort of global conflict eventually was something most people expected eventually in Eve, from the start of the game. That's originally why a lot of the roleplaying corps/alliances were founded, after all.

Wanoah

• Omelette
  • Sweating spinal fluid
    • Hello!
« Reply #78 on: 12 Apr 2011, 13:46 »

I won't add anything to the general vitriol other than to say that I think some of us could think of one or two people we'd rather have seen take up the role that Tony Gonzales took on. There were several people with great ideas, talent, and an encyclopaedic knowledge of Eve derived from many hours of gameplay, reading and debating with their peers: prerequisites for producing something pretty memorable I think. Maybe they couldn't have delivered anything better. We'll never know.

There was always a sense that TonyG blithely networked his way into a position while others were wasting their time writing good stuff and, well, getting Eve. Perhaps I am being unfair, but that's my perception of how things went down. The community of actively creative people playing Eve was pretty small. The reaction to the news that some guy writing an Eve novel was mostly: "Who?" It was a decision from left field.

Sure, I feel pretty resentful on a personal level. I loved Eve, and its background and writing bits and pieces of fiction set in that background maintained my interest long after I'd tired of the actual gameplay. Someone waltzing in and bollocksing stuff up was a deciding factor in me not bothering with it any more. It's purely the double whammy of nostalgia and the lack of any credible alternative to Eve that makes me pop back occasionally to see what is happening.
Nothing worth saying is inoffensive to everyone

Blog | Fiction
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]