Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Imperial Human Resources is a well-known Amarrian slave company.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: TenTonHammer talks with TonyG about DUST514/New Book  (Read 2940 times)

Julianus Soter

• Pod Captain
Re: TenTonHammer talks with TonyG about DUST514/New Book
« Reply #15 on: 13 Apr 2011, 20:28 »

"It'll also explain a lot about the Amarr Empress."

Yeah, we really need more super psychic witch Empress. Yeah, I'm not exactly pre-ordering this shit.

I'm really looking forward to IGS being filled with even more characters having knowledge that simply wouldn't be available to them.

This so much^

Which is partly the reason for not reading Empyrean Age. Burning life had nothing it that was off-limits to in-character knowledge. But sekrit funding by Federation for Minmatar supercapitalship fleet led by mystical tribal leaders? Our characters don't have a clue about that.

Which is why we're all confused by TonyG. The short and sweet of it: He's not writing the book for us. We best get over it, lest we get our blood pressure worked up over something so obvious.

The book is for the 99% of eve players that don't roleplay and want their fill of dramatic plot development in flash-bang sci fi battle formats.

Chowda

• Egger
« Reply #16 on: 14 Apr 2011, 14:28 »

He isn't a full-time novelist.  The decks are stacked against him writing a great scifi novel.  Maybe one day, EVE will have a Black Library.  Until then, set your expectations low.  He could surprise us, though.

So if the tie-in novel is getting done now, does this mean DUST 514 will be out sooner rather than later? 

Amann Karris

« Reply #17 on: 14 Apr 2011, 15:33 »

So if the tie-in novel is getting done now, does this mean DUST 514 will be out sooner rather than later? 
The game already has a community manager... so I'd say signs point to, "WHY DON'T THEY PROMOTE THIS MORE!?"  When I talk to my friends that play FPS games they don't seem interested at all.

It's a great idea on paper, but I'm not sold that CCP can sell the game to hardcore FPS gamers.

Chowda

• Egger
« Reply #18 on: 14 Apr 2011, 16:15 »

It's a great idea on paper, but I'm not sold that CCP can sell the game to hardcore FPS gamers.
Not against the A+ shooter du jour, no.  That takes millions thrown into ads saturating every commercial break for 2-3 weeks and the game to back it up.  Is there anything that points to CCP's willingness or ability to do that? 

CCP's only shot is to make the first successful MMOFPS for the console.  That will require a few things in my opinion:

1.  At least an A- shooter at launch, and still be B+/B level a few years in when all the main MMO features are implemented and tweaked appropriately based on experience.  We really don't know what to expect from CCP Shanghai at this time in this regard.

2.  Marketing tie-ins with the PSN and XBOX Live.  They need people subscribing for the long-term.  It needs to be marketed through the game industry as something special.     

3.  Cool skill advancement unique to the FPS genre.  This is actually something I'm expecting. 

4. The link with EVE to be something that gets the FPS "pros" interested on succeeding at (i.e. being the most sought-after mercs to have contracts with).

There's probably a few more, but they do indeed have a tall hill to climb.  The thing is, DUST sort of has to succeed or it will signal the slow death of EVE.  I mean, how would they recover from launching a game like DUST and then abandoning it.  How would you play that off in the EVE world?   

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #19 on: 14 Apr 2011, 17:05 »

You could assume that they got tired of orbital strikes from the guys hiring them...

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #20 on: 14 Apr 2011, 18:23 »

In my opinion, this is why CCP are not planning for, but are not writing off a PC release.

If the console market fails them, or if after a few years the console players move on to something new, then and only then will a PC version of the game be made available.

CCP will never pit PC vs Console gamers while DUST is in it's prime. Many experiments on this have been done in the past, and it unerringly drives away the consolers. A PC version could be possible only if that console market is already gone.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #21 on: 15 Apr 2011, 03:39 »

Well, I have moved from being a TonyG pessimist after reading 'Theodicy' to just being generally sceptic about his work.

I have come to understand that the goals set for his work is not entirely up to him and I have sort of learned to appreciate his idea about trying to strengthen EVE as an IP.

I am proberly only going to read it once (like TEA and TBL) I will buy the new book and read it. Though, personally I would have loved to learn more about the Jove and Sleepers from in game sources instead of a book.
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Invelious

• Reshjvajarr Man
  • Omelette
  • Plays the Roll
« Reply #22 on: 19 Apr 2011, 14:02 »

"It'll also explain a lot about the Amarr Empress."

Yeah, we really need more super psychic witch Empress. Yeah, I'm not exactly pre-ordering this shit.

I'm really looking forward to IGS being filled with even more characters having knowledge that simply wouldn't be available to them.

She talks to me in my sleep......in RL  :eek:

scagga

• Everything for Vaari
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #23 on: 19 Apr 2011, 15:18 »

CVA got mention!

I liked the formatting of the website, and the pretty pictures.

/positive
Pages: 1 [2]