Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Black Nova Corporation (BNC) and others still retain some offices in the Jovian Empire when it was opened during EVE's starter years?

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: TenTonHammer talks with TonyG about DUST514/New Book  (Read 2939 times)

Major JSilva

Yes I know many of you have senitments about TonyG's writing and will wanna restate all your problems about TEA. Still I'm gonna post this about the Dust 514 book

http://www.tentonhammer.com/eve/guides/politics/gonzales-interview

Thoughts ?

Silva

Akrasjel Lanate

• Omelette
Re: TenTonHammer talks with TonyG about DUST514/New Book
« Reply #1 on: 11 Apr 2011, 03:16 »

Thoughts ?

Nothing comes to my mind.

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
« Reply #2 on: 11 Apr 2011, 04:17 »

Expressing my opinions on this interview would probably get me moderated.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #3 on: 11 Apr 2011, 06:01 »

I'm semi gratified to see he took at least some of the criticism on board. Perhaps Templar One will be...

...no, I won't even let myself think it. No use setting myself up for disappointment. I'd rather be pleasantly surprised if it doesn't totally suck.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #4 on: 11 Apr 2011, 08:41 »

"It'll also explain a lot about the Amarr Empress."

Yeah, we really need more super psychic witch Empress. Yeah, I'm not exactly pre-ordering this shit.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #5 on: 11 Apr 2011, 09:57 »

I'll give my three major concerns this interview raises in brief:

Big reveals vs. progressive reveals -
I'm personally a fan of the latter, as I feal that BIG REVEALS can very, very easily come off as hamfisted and thoughtless without a very, very skilled writer at the helm. Progressive reveals, on the other hand, allow you to feal that subtly increaseing "uh-oh..." feeling you get as things just keep coming to the surface. I'd point to the Sansha revival arc here - it went from "Sansha are in wormholes? This is going to be bad..." to "Sansha can generate wormholes on their own?! Very bad!" to "Sansha are hunkered down around a Jovian station with a massive fleet they ported there through a wormhole! Oh, @I#(#*^$&!!!" If we'd started with Kuvakei doing a broadcast from the Jovian system and THEN explained how he got there, it could easily have felt like an ass-pull (for lack of another way of putting it) - "Hey guys, Kuvakei's in a Jove system! How'd he get there...? Uh, Wormholes!"c

Ancient mysteries 'n' stuff -
This is more a personal sinking feeling, given how CCP's handled this category in the past. Once again, space illuminati can very easily end up looking like (I won't comment on them actually being) an ass-pull substitute for a longer, more interesting storyline development. Walking plot devices, in short.

Disconnection with the community -
This is probably the only concern I'll voice about TonyG directly. He seems rather... out of touch with the EVE community, and especially the RP community, at times. Tony, CVA doesn't fly Amarr-only anymore. In fact, I think that policy was gone before TonyG joined CCP.
One interesting note here is that TonyG admits that character development suffered in the writing of Empyrean Age due to plot demands. Unfortunately, this is juxtaposed with "Ooooh, sleeper reveals!" and "Ooooh, suddenly new technology makes DUST soldiers, big stuff happens!" which seems to read to me as "Well, we've heard your complaints, and acknowledge they're reasonable complaints... and then do the exact same thing." It again shows me a... troubling disconnect with the thoughts of the community.

People will say I'm being hard on CCP and TonyG, and in truth I probably am. I do apologize for that, as realistically it isn't fair to base my raeg solely on the handful of articles, snippets of text from fanfest, and couple of interviews/live dev blogs we've had. Thing is, CCP and TonyG have a track record now, and for better and for worse my thoughts are biased by past performance.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #6 on: 11 Apr 2011, 10:23 »

My bet: immortal soldiers, bioengineered hive mind, potential for cross-cluster planetary control, one man fights against the system, gunfight, gunfight, softcore, everybody dies.
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 11 Apr 2011, 10:54 »

CVA never was Amarr-ships only.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #8 on: 11 Apr 2011, 11:17 »

CVA never was Amarr-ships only.

I think he has CVA confused with PIE. :lol:
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #9 on: 11 Apr 2011, 12:29 »

Or maybe with Imperial Dreams. I was pretty sure at least a part of the CVA was amarr tech only a the beginning.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #10 on: 11 Apr 2011, 16:36 »

So much contradiction in this interview.
« Last Edit: 11 Apr 2011, 16:38 by Graelyn »

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #11 on: 12 Apr 2011, 00:51 »

Or maybe with Imperial Dreams. I was pretty sure at least a part of the CVA was amarr tech only a the beginning.
PIE is one of the CVA founders.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #12 on: 12 Apr 2011, 02:15 »

Yes I know but I was not refering to PIE. Or maybe I am confusing them with someone else...

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #13 on: 12 Apr 2011, 03:25 »

PIE is Amarr hulls only.

Not sure if Dark Seraph was Amarr hulls only, because they kind of faded out after Doriam became the Emperor and that was the time I joined PIE.

Imperial Dreams was always flying ships from all races.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Rodj Blake

• Egger
  • Amarr Victor Meldrew
« Reply #14 on: 13 Apr 2011, 07:18 »

"It'll also explain a lot about the Amarr Empress."

Yeah, we really need more super psychic witch Empress. Yeah, I'm not exactly pre-ordering this shit.

I'm really looking forward to IGS being filled with even more characters having knowledge that simply wouldn't be available to them.
Pages: [1] 2