Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The system Old Man Star is named for the lone crew member who survived a sub-light trip there to set up a stargate?

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Movies and assorted crazyness in high school  (Read 2857 times)

scagga

• Everything for Vaari
  • Pod Captain

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
Re: Movies and assorted crazyness in high school
« Reply #16 on: 02 Apr 2011, 06:28 »

I think we watched Ronja in the primary school.

Three colours at some point.

That was in 12 years of school.

People waited to be preggers after they graduated.

There was no such thing as unplanned classes in my school.

But this was Finland.

It's odd. We must be doing something right to be one of the top countries in casual sex and yet not have a lot of teen pregnancies (there was none in the two high schools I saw when I was that age and I have never seen a pregnant teen elsewhere, though I've heard about them). Just thought about that oddity.

As for movies, yeah we watched Ronja as well... but also Schindler's List, Les Quatre cents coups and I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #17 on: 02 Apr 2011, 07:08 »

in teh UK, sex education by schools is often a bit of too little too late, with most of it being aimed at 15-16 year olds, when at that point, usually the ones that are most at risk of such things have already been exposed to any number of half-truths, falsehoods and bad habits, regarding chances of conception, contraception methods, disease transmission, etc. "condoms make it less fun", "you can't get pregnant standing up", and so on.

Not helped by various outcrys from different groups. e.g. the Section 28 shenanigans a while back.

Or how the vaccination against that virus that causes cervical cancer, that was being given free to schoolgirls in Scotland, was being opposed because it would make the vaccinated girls promiscuous.

it is also complicated further in Scotland by the existence of the seperate schools for Roman Catholics, which have their own restrictions about what they are allowed to teach.

E.g. the non-denominational schools, they have these dolls that are fitted with various instrumentation. Pupils are given the doll to care for for a period of time, and the doll records things like how long it takes for it to be picked up when it starts crying, and various other things, like if people yell at it and stuff. Looking after it is quite hard work.

The RC schools were not allowed to run the doll program, due to objections from the priests.

Guess which schools have the higher pregnancy rates.
\o/

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #18 on: 02 Apr 2011, 07:55 »

I went to a magnet high school, which means a public school that had admission requirements and a specific academic focus (science / engineering / mathematics in my case). So the students that attended generally had lots of motivation for their education and, at least at the time, I recall no teen pregnancies while I was there.

Not that I didn't know any teen mothers, but those tended to come from the poor neighborhood where I grew up.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #19 on: 02 Apr 2011, 12:42 »

I recall no pregnancies cases either for me (France). Though I have heard of one someday, I think. Maybe rumor, maybe not.

Vieve

« Reply #20 on: 03 Apr 2011, 03:55 »

Some teachers in my school sometimes passed my classmates' ultrasound pictures around in class.  Not as a 'this is what a baby looks like' lesson, but as part of encouraging classroom congratulations of my pregnant classmate.

This always made me feel uncomfortable as hell.
« Last Edit: 03 Apr 2011, 03:58 by Vieve »

Wanoah

• Omelette
  • Sweating spinal fluid
    • Hello!
« Reply #21 on: 14 Apr 2011, 12:16 »

We always watched films at the end of term. Sometimes in the middle, too. ^^ Memorably, we watched If.... in RE (Religious Education) class.

Still, I went to a private school, so things were sometimes a bit different. In many cases, we had rattled through the entire two year syllabus in the first year to give the teachers some time to concentrate on actual education.

Nothing worth saying is inoffensive to everyone

Blog | Fiction

Ember Vykos

• Not so bitter bitter fucking vet...
  • Pod Captain
  • I bring nothing to the table.
« Reply #22 on: 18 Apr 2011, 06:58 »

PS : Lion King in french is worth it just for Jean Reno voicing the dad.

It wasnt that bad. We watched it along with Beauty and the Beast(I think) in my HS French class.

Saw both versions of Romeo and Juliet. Watched the classic one in class then took a trip to see the Leo version. Also watched Macbeth in my senior English class.

I would say the most constructive thing I did was build a trophy case in one of my shop classes. At the end of the year that teacher and the beauty arts teacher(hairdresser) took their classes to a theme park called Dollywood. They did it pretty much every year, and since I was friends with the shop teachers son I got to go all 4 years of school whether I was in shop or not. :D

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Current active RP character(s) - Kairelle
Past RP characters - Ember Vykos, Simca Develon

Borza

• Kuru Khai
  • Omelette
  • We come for our people
« Reply #23 on: 18 Apr 2011, 09:28 »

Not a cheeseburger-inhaling yank but sometimes one end-of-term half-days our history teacher would play the Germans episode from Fawlty Towers  :lol:
Pages: 1 [2]