Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Silphy enDiabel of the Syndicate used to be one of the Sisters of EVE? For more, read here.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Gaming Together / Inspiracy Servers  (Read 3496 times)

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
Gaming Together / Inspiracy Servers
« on: 01 Jan 2012, 13:17 »

Everyone has their own angle in EVE and some of us (myself included) don't even play it right now/any more, but OOG this forum tends to attract gamers with similar qualities: intelligent, RP-focused, patient and challenge-loving/masochistic (EVE players and all...).

So, I've been thinking that this place needs more co-op.  We like many of the same games.  We have a steam group already.  It's natural!

Do we have a combined listing of the various Minecraft/Terraria/L4D/otherstuff servers or groups that Inspiracy regulars run and/or frequent?  If not, we ought to have one.  This seems like as good a place as any.

On that same note, if we don't have Minecraft/Terraria/L4D/otherstuff servers or groups going, we ought to.  Who would be interested?  Who would be interested if I said I had two free Steam copies of Terraria to get people started?

And in a broader sense, what are your thoughts on building a more cohesive gaming group out of the fine gaggle of folks we have here?

Games that are being discussed here so far:

Battlefield 3
Gameplay
Wat is?? military FPS, large server team PvP

Borderlands
Cinematic/Gameplay
Wat is?? sci-fi FPS, 4-player co-op w/ PvP on the side

Brink
Cinematic Gameplay
Wat is?? modern/sci-fi FPS, large server team PvP

Freespace 2
Modded Cinematic
Wat is?? SP space flight sim, various MP mods

Left 4 Dead 2
Gameplay
Wat is?? zombie horror FPS, 4-player co-op/vs/survival

Magicka
Cinematic
Wat is?? isometric fantasy "RPG", 4-player co-op/PvP

Minecraft
Gameplay
Wat is?? sandbox game/persistent world

Portal 2
Co-op
Wat is?? puzzle "FPS", 2-player co-op

Project Reality
Gameplay
Wat is?? various military FPS mods

Team Fortress 2
Cinematic/Gameplay
Wat is?? FPS, large server team PvP

Terraria
Gameplay
Wat is?? sandbox game/persistent world

Trine
Gameplay & Trine 2
Wat is?? puzzle platformer, 3-player co-op
« Last Edit: 02 Jan 2012, 19:29 by Ken »

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
Re: Gaming Together / Inspiracy Servers
« Reply #1 on: 01 Jan 2012, 14:17 »

What exactly is Terraria? I saw it for sale on steam today and scratched my head a bit. Currently downloading BioShock 2 and L4D2, but have been wasting most of my time lately with Brink, having way to much fun with the silly team shooter.

Desiderya

« Reply #2 on: 01 Jan 2012, 14:25 »

Terraria is a fun little game, maybe best described as a sidescroller minecraft with more focus on RPG elements than construction. It's 2D and it doesn't feature (at this point) all the mechanical stuff that let's you build those contraptions.
On the other hand you have a (imho) way better crafting system than minecraft - and you can go out on real adventures.

Myrhial Arkenath

• Omelette
  • One does not simply walk into Curse.
    • Diary of a Pod Pilot
« Reply #3 on: 01 Jan 2012, 14:51 »

I'd like to see a TF2 server, because it's free, and fun.

CEO of Ghost Festival :: Executor of Naraka.
Diary of a Pod Pilot

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #4 on: 01 Jan 2012, 19:41 »

Terraria is a fun little game, maybe best described as a sidescroller minecraft with more focus on RPG elements than construction. It's 2D and it doesn't feature (at this point) all the mechanical stuff that let's you build those contraptions.
On the other hand you have a (imho) way better crafting system than minecraft - and you can go out on real adventures.

Yea, pretty much a 2D Minecraft with less SandboxTM and more AdventureTM.

have been wasting most of my time lately with Brink, having way to much fun with the silly team shooter.

I gave Brink a shot during one of the free play weekends during the summer, but felt rather :meh: about it.  What hooked you?

I'd like to see a TF2 server, because it's free, and fun.

:D  Team Fortress is a given for this sort of thing.  Let's see, some other fine co-op titles that come to mind are Borderlands, Magicka, Trine (2), and Portal 2...  Not free and not really the sort that would require dedicated servers, but I wonder what the interest level is around here for those games and others like them. 

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #5 on: 01 Jan 2012, 19:55 »

have been wasting most of my time lately with Brink, having way to much fun with the silly team shooter.

I gave Brink a shot during one of the free play weekends during the summer, but felt rather :meh: about it.  What hooked you?

Team-based play, coordination required for success (particularly as the attacking team given how horridly imbalanced the missions are), frantic action rather than crawling on your belly, mix of realism (recoil mechanics, etc) and non-realism (big guys, little guys, baseball sliding while shooting someone with an smg). It's not mind blowing but it is a ton of fun multiplayer, particularly with friends.

Also quite fond of the story, particularly the fact that both sides of each mission cast themselves as the good guys, and the game never really tells you who is telling the truth.

I've never played TF2 but from what I've seen/heard it'd be lovely for this. And terraria sounds interesting, I think Steam has it on sale, maybe I'll grab it.

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #6 on: 01 Jan 2012, 19:58 »

I woulda been fond of Brink if the finished product was even close to what it was originally supposed to be.
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #7 on: 01 Jan 2012, 22:15 »

Frankly, TF2 is horribad. Next to no precision, real tactics or skill involved. It's a 'casual' shooter at best.

BF3 has serious potential in the FPS department, providing team-based/squad-based FPS with decently high requirements for skill, teamwork, tactics, communication and diversity. What I'm curious about is whether or not someone here is familiar with NWN RP-campaigns or Freespace 2 multiplayer campaigns?

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #8 on: 01 Jan 2012, 23:28 »

I woulda been fond of Brink if the finished product was even close to what it was originally supposed to be.

Ah. I have no idea what it was supposed to be, I just picked it up cheap when Steam had a holiday sale. So far, it's been worth the $5, though I have noticed that there are not a lot of regular players, I see the same names a lot in online multiplayer.

Out of curiosity, what was it supposed to be?

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #9 on: 01 Jan 2012, 23:52 »

Ah. I have no idea what it was supposed to be, I just picked it up cheap when Steam had a holiday sale. So far, it's been worth the $5, though I have noticed that there are not a lot of regular players, I see the same names a lot in online multiplayer.

Out of curiosity, what was it supposed to be?

I'm gonna turn really bitter for a minute, so, I apologize in advance.

Brink, in its concept stage, was described as a revolutionary FPS that would include the then-famous "free running" system, stuff we saw pioneered to some extent by games like Prototype and Mirror's Edge, moreover the latter. Brink was supposed to combine these and make an FPS that focused less on the "realistic" combat of something like BF3 - human speeds, bursts of action, etc - and instead by a constant stream of fast-paced ridiculousness.

In fact, the alpha footage looked obscene. The system that's currently used is basically what was used there, but what's changed is the depth. I don't really know how to describe it, but... eh.

Look, here's gameplay from 2009:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qT0vOEjF-ig

Here's gameplay from the released version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9djC8bFJ4Q

There's a strong chance I'm just seeing things and being a bitter gamer, but, the alpha footage of Brink was amazing. It was a dark, gritty, excellent graphics, a new style of gameplay. What was released is just... it's TF2 with a semi-functioning freerun system.

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
Will never happen to you

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #10 on: 02 Jan 2012, 00:20 »

Frankly, TF2 is horribad.

Not a sentiment I often encounter.  It's got a certain charm to it, or it did at least in 2008.  Haven't played TF2 a whole lot recently.

What I'm curious about is whether or not someone here is familiar with NWN RP-campaigns or Freespace 2 multiplayer campaigns?

I don't have said familiarity, but what's this about Freespace 2 co-op?  Old, old title, but I remember Freespace and its sequel as being unparalleled fun at the time.

There's a strong chance I'm just seeing things and being a bitter gamer, but, the alpha footage of Brink was amazing. It was a dark, gritty, excellent graphics, a new style of gameplay. What was released is just... it's TF2 with a semi-functioning freerun system.

Someday soon maybe we'll see a game that properly combines the freeform movement of Mirror's Edge (and what Brink aimed for) with tight gunplay.  Maybe that sort of thing is just naturally better suited to a single-player or co-op experience than team PvP.  In any case, I know I'd be thrilled to hear about a Mirror's Edge sequel at the very least.

With what's out there right now, what does interest you in the co-op/general multiplayer realm?

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #11 on: 02 Jan 2012, 00:37 »

Someday soon maybe we'll see a game that properly combines the freeform movement of Mirror's Edge (and what Brink aimed for) with tight gunplay.  Maybe that sort of thing is just naturally better suited to a single-player or co-op experience than team PvP.  In any case, I know I'd be thrilled to hear about a Mirror's Edge sequel at the very least.

With what's out there right now, what does interest you in the co-op/general multiplayer realm?

Just, in general terms?

Well, to be perfectly honest, most cooperative systems don't jive with me. I haven't actually played a co-op since I was playing Halo 2 back in the day with an old school buddy. I want to buy Portal 2, but knowing that a lot of work went into a co-op mode I'll never use and wouldn't enjoy, eh, its keeping me from putting the money into it. Left for Dead-style co-op doesn't interest me either, something about insular grouping just turns me off... probably flashbacks to Hunter: The Reckoning, or as I called it at the time, "Frustrating Cameras: The Game."

Multiplayer, I stick to my military FPS's. I get to be the butt of a lot of jokes around my friends, talkin' about it being unoriginal, never changing, etc. I don't see a reason to fix what ain't broke. BC2 was badass, BF3 has improved on the game's mechanics immensely. COD4 was good times, MW2 improved on the game. MOH was badass, multiplayer coulda used a little work I guess.

I dunno, I prefer a depersonalized multiplayer atmosphere. I can run around as an assault class, shoot whatever targets I find, loosely guide my team with my body language and the objective specifications, etc. If someone goes down, I clear the area and try to defib them. If they die, I'm not totally fucked and the team can easily keep moving forward. I mean, I vastly prefer at least being in a clan, because comms turn those games into ferocious experiences, especially once the squad dynamics come into play. Get one of each class who knows what they're doing, you can take every objective on your own. Not to mention, the maps are so damn open and there's so many options for approaches... vehicles and the like.

Thats my bag, anyway. I like to be a soldier with an objective, and I like shooting down other players. I don't like being heavily dependent on others.

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
Will never happen to you

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #12 on: 02 Jan 2012, 00:43 »

I'm not too familiar with Freespace 2's multiplayer/coop stuff myself. I just read an article about how the unofficial patches/graphics upgrades and so on apparently made Freespace 2 fantastic in multiplayer. Back when I actually played it much myself, I was just in it for the singleplayer, but it could be fun multiplayer I suppose.

One thing with co-op games: They'd better be made for multiplayer (Q3A, UT, BF3 and so on). Singleplayer campaigns with coop systems are almost always hatefully bad. Balance, immersion and so on goes straight out the window. Again, it's for casuals just like TF2.

I'm not limiting myself to military FPS games (they're actually nowhere near as good as most of the old-school FPS games) but I do recognize that they're the most prolific of the multiplayer games out there. Personally, I'd love to get some good old Q3A or UT99 going.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #13 on: 02 Jan 2012, 01:28 »

I used to follow the fs2_open project, but it's been a while.

I don't recall Freespace 2 (or the original Freespace) having a co-op mode, offhand. Their predecessors did - at least, I know for a fact that Descent 2 did. I think 3 might have, and I'm not sure about the original.

If I could set that stuff up again I'd probably be all for dicking around with it with other people.

Also, the BSG conversion for FS2 (Beyond the Red Line) was p cool even when it was just in alpha/beta. Should check on that too.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
« Reply #14 on: 02 Jan 2012, 05:27 »

Played a lot of Minecraft, some Freelancer. Less, now the servers I was a regular on for both games have done down.

Backstage Minecraft server anyone?
Pages: [1] 2