Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Kyoko Sakoda interned with Omerta Syndicate? Read more here.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Strange question...  (Read 9243 times)

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
Re: Strange question...
« Reply #15 on: 19 Jul 2012, 18:21 »

Sometimes it'd be nice to have a matchmaking feature here for people who find certain aspects of the game intriguing and wouldn't mind finding other people to be a) simpatico collaborators in world-building, or b) opponents of sufficient worth to goad them into laying out how any right-minded person would see things. Both can be very valuable.

Casi, if Ulf were still around I might try to throw you two together for that crypto chat.

Going back to the original topic, one of the underlying trouble patches is the unresolved stuff about "clones". Are they grown, fabricated, or some combination, like being fabricated and then doped with aggressive donor DNA? Does it vary depending on how much you pay? Why would you choose a customised generic-blank body over a purpose-built one? What are our ones like? I remember reading the Cromeaux Inc. article on cloning closely once, and thinking "Oh, they're A. No, they're B. No, they're A. No.... I don't know what they are."

If you somehow managed to force-grow a true clone body to adulthood, yes, I assume the body would have an intact hymen and no scars, although modifying those could be part of the detailing done on the body before you move in. If the body is built from parts and biomass, what you'd end up with would depend on what the clone-makers could and did do to it, which I expect/hope would be something you'd have some input into as a customer.
« Last Edit: 19 Jul 2012, 18:22 by Matariki Rain »

Mathra Hiede

• Omelette
« Reply #16 on: 19 Jul 2012, 18:59 »

Nope. And ship fittings almost always bore me the same way, yay for industrial (or, even better, freighter) pilots!

However, if anybody wants to talk about the implications of quantum computing on New Eden cryptography and whether our codebreaker modules work because the pirate factions still use asymmetric crypto but the empire factions don't and that's why we can't track down and hack their facilities, I'll be over in the corner with a bottle of good whiskey and two glasses.

Goddamnit Ghost... where do you come up with these!?

Also, that sounds like a really neat little thing to look into >_>

Innocence prooves nothing - Solen Sean

Yoshito Sanders

• Egger
« Reply #17 on: 19 Jul 2012, 21:25 »

I believe there was a reference to some random un-named capsuleer in an EON chronicle who liked getting podded for the reason of taking advantage of her fresh and not-used-to-things nerves exaggerating sensations.

I wrote that. The entire chron was about that, actually. It was called Addiction.

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #18 on: 19 Jul 2012, 21:25 »

*spray*

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #19 on: 19 Jul 2012, 23:04 »

You guys need to read Herko's 'The Poddin' Don't Hurt'.

All kinds of things are new when your clone is fresh.

One day, I hope Aldrith will forgive me for showing up to his wedding in an hours-old clone, excusing myself to go to the bathroom, and having a literally bloody incident full of screaming as I pushed a load of gourmet cuisine through a never-before-used set of intestines...during the reception.

The efforts of the multitudes present to hush the incident up for the Dear Old Cardinal were very much appreciated.
« Last Edit: 19 Jul 2012, 23:09 by Graelyn »

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #20 on: 19 Jul 2012, 23:18 »

Mata recommends sipping a spirulina/blue-green-algae smoothie, a good stretching regime, and then some hard physical work. You'll feel uncoordinated as anything to start with, but you need to get through that and make sure your nerve-mappings are right.

But yes, the whole routine and ritual of adapting to a new body is something some podders do interestingly.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #21 on: 20 Jul 2012, 04:21 »

What the hell is that fuss about circumcision ? Don't tell me there is something like that in Amarr PF...  :bash:

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #22 on: 20 Jul 2012, 05:07 »

There is not.

It is just the Space Yew thing that suggests it.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #23 on: 20 Jul 2012, 05:48 »

While "People of the Book" has a technical meaning in Islam, I was using it as it's used locally; to wave non-specifically in the general direction of the religions which draw on the Tanakh/Old Testament and (more or less) acknowledge the Abrahamic covenant.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #24 on: 20 Jul 2012, 05:53 »

Ok I see... But what does it has to do with Eve ? :confused:

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #25 on: 20 Jul 2012, 06:05 »

Probably nothing.

The example was a string of possible leaps of world-building, starting from a weak (but fascinating!) initial assumption.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #26 on: 20 Jul 2012, 07:19 »

And to think people went o.O at my suggestion that the Udorian Recognition Method might matter in RP.  :eek:
\o/

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #27 on: 20 Jul 2012, 07:39 »

I imagine all manor of physical proclivities and eccentric (or normal) options are available to capsuleers with the right money. 

IE There's probably a lot of 'ron jeremy' options for male clone contracts, and I'm sure an assortment of female modifications they can make during a sculpt/grow.

This would also include all manor of fetishes, etc.

Not an RP area that interests me but I don't see it outside the realm of possibilities in this fictional universe.

The thing with everyone being able to look they way they want though, is that 'standard' ideals of beauty would quickly be destroyed. 

If everyone can look 'perfect' then it has no meaning, as it used to be only a few who could be that beautiful.

I'd imagine you'd quickly, particularly with the Federation, have a super-wide assortment of what 'attractive' is. 

So IE maybe this year being 'heavy' is in and all the popular capsuleers are getting plus-sized models.  Or maybe next year everyone's into big ears.

Who knows.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #28 on: 20 Jul 2012, 08:31 »

There are 'universally attractive' things that are part of the evolution.

To manipulate those things through surgery will mean that there is a possibility that there is an evolutionary dead end in the horizon if the practice persists.
<insert family portrait of two gorgeous people with children that look like that escaped from Chernobyl>
<insert joke about yewish girls getting a nose job for their 15th birthday>

If everyone can be perfect... I think comics with Judge Dredd had a good series about this.
The pendulum swung the other way, being ugly became cool, having warts got people hot, you got cosmetics for that and surgeries.
It was pretty hilarious.

The modifications for the clones would be limited by what is legal within the nation that they are part of.

Age modification beyond certain limits, for example no jumping to clones of minors.

Any modification that would make you unrecognizable as the person that you are.

Of course in 0.0 there would be no limits, but you would not have any rights either...

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Wanoah

• Omelette
  • Sweating spinal fluid
    • Hello!
« Reply #29 on: 20 Jul 2012, 16:03 »

If we go back to the root cause of much speculation, it's that the clone concept was a bit iffy from the outset. They needed a way of death not being permanent and quickly handwaved the cloning process without too much concern for the details. This has had repercussions when they decided they wanted clone jumping and some kind of dumb console tie-in...

In terms of game design and how elegantly that ties into viable lore that sounds right, I wonder if ditching the clone concept altogether might have be viable. It could have been interesting if you had no clones, but perhaps your pod was much harder to target and kill than it is now. So, it would be unlikely people would manage to kill you, but there was a small chance. and that small chance led to permadeath for that character. You'd maybe have some kind of inheritance mechanic so you could make a new character with access to your late character's stuff.
Nothing worth saying is inoffensive to everyone

Blog | Fiction
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4