Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Sebiestor has embraced the pet-name Sinister Ones, given to them by the Amarr? Read more here

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Breaks from EVE  (Read 2919 times)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
Breaks from EVE
« on: 17 Apr 2011, 12:40 »

So I've been gone on a training deployment for two weeks with the Navy, mostly in preparation for a P2000 SQUADEX that occured at HMNB Portsmouth. First Sea Lord/Chief of Naval Staff and lots of brass was there, I even opened the car door and saluted him in! Lots of highlights that I won't bore you with.

Anyway, coming back onto my laptop is very bizarre. It's my first deployment ever, and two weeks isn't long (maximum someone of my rank has done is 2 months), and it was very interesting to get some perspective and whatnot. To think of it, I've had no break from EVE for a year or two? Talking about logging in every single day...as such, one gets very invested into EVE, the channels, the Spacebook, the interactions (mostly negative WRT myself). Having a break, coming down to sit on my laptop and typing really feels...strange. Logging into EVE too...the only computer screen I've been staring at is my phone, a radar, and a WECDIS.

I made a comment in Red's about being gone for two weeks and saying how nothing has changed (other than the patch). Same people in channel list, and so on. Immediately, I was served two hostile, passive-aggressive comments from a pair of individuals...despite being gone for two weeks and not causing any trouble in any capacity whatsoever. It was endearing, in a way, I smiled and decided to resign myself from all the OOC channels. We'll see how long that lasts.

But to think, if I spent the last two weeks in EVE, it would have gone by quickly, and similarly not much would have happened. The past two weeks were something else, really long, eventful, and a complete world away. I can't believe I'm back here, and I'm almost excited to pass through education and rank up in a couple of years (if I make it, of course).

How has breaks from EVE served you?

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
Re: Breaks from EVE
« Reply #1 on: 17 Apr 2011, 12:52 »

Wasn't exactly anything 'passive' about it. Incoming 'u mad bro' from Morwen in three... two... one...

... oh wait, Morwen moderates here. Bugger.

Benjamin Shepherd

« Reply #2 on: 17 Apr 2011, 13:14 »

How about you define all of these military terms, you speak as if we know.

Kelsy Talan

• Clonejack
« Reply #3 on: 17 Apr 2011, 13:17 »

How about you define all of these military terms, you speak as if we know.

I'm sure there are people reading this that do know

For everyone else, there's Google.
« Last Edit: 17 Apr 2011, 13:20 by Kelsy Talan »

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #4 on: 17 Apr 2011, 13:26 »

Seri went to Her Majesties Naval Base Portsmouth, for a squadron exercise aboard a P2000 class vessel.
the wecdis is a Warship Electronic Chart Display and Information System.

welcome back and sounds like you enjoyed it.

Breaks help, with inspiration and stuff, I think.
\o/

scagga

• Everything for Vaari
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #5 on: 17 Apr 2011, 17:13 »

Approaching a year since my last log in, real life surges forward in leaps and bounds  8)

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #6 on: 17 Apr 2011, 19:05 »

Sounds like the exercise was enjoyable, Seri.  Glad to hear it!  Also, not surprised if you got a good ribbing just for showing up in "OOC" wearing a nametag that said, "Hi, I'm Seriphyn" regardless of the length of your absence.  :P

I think breaks from any particular activity can be refreshing and inspiring, as Louella said.

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
« Reply #7 on: 17 Apr 2011, 19:09 »

I think breaks are definitely needed to keep your perspective fresh.

I took a 3 year break until I recently came back, though I did keep abreast of events and was somewhat involved through forums. I don't think I really missed much, but I'm glad to be back. I'm sure I'll take another break sometime in the future, too.

Benjamin Shepherd

« Reply #8 on: 17 Apr 2011, 19:23 »

I was going to take a long break until Incarna, in February. But then the drug took me back.

Breaks are nice, though. I don't plan on playing on EVE this summer, save a few hours during the weekends.

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #9 on: 17 Apr 2011, 20:32 »

I wouldn't let mouthy DBs ruin your excitement for the game. They only have as much power as you let them, and worst case scenario the block button is pretty handy.  And yes, breaks can be handy to regain some perspective, and occasionally some inspiration. The rp community can be rather stagnant at times, so it's nice to step back and try new things.

Too many breaks and you may not come back. ;)

Akrasjel Lanate

• Omelette
« Reply #10 on: 18 Apr 2011, 01:06 »

I haven't got a typical brake like yours, rather when im burned out a bit byt still log to see whats up just don't play.

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #11 on: 18 Apr 2011, 01:58 »

Chief of Staff visiting sounds like a major pain in the posterior. That said, back when I served, any high-ranked officer meant trouble. I remember that one of our comms stations was ordered to deploy in the yard next to the HQ, so they would be easy to show to visiting brass. They were doing otherwise fine, but got told that their camo required more work. Hello, (1) deployment to a location with very little cover and (2) the local big shots had ordered to give some of their camo equipment away so that the HQ could camouflage their trash.

Anyway, good to hear you enjoyed your time anyway. As for breaks, I've had several - though it's different these days for me, because I have very little time to play. Usually I change the direction a bit after a break to keep it fresh, but should I have a new break, it'd be less likely now, since I'm getting rid of extra accounts, so not that many slots to play with.

Mathra Hiede

• Omelette
« Reply #12 on: 18 Apr 2011, 03:02 »

I have had a few 'breaks' where I may log in and be partially active but I dont undock or actively go out and play the game for its content.

I have also had breaks where I simply stopped playing, these where usually the result of severe dissatisfaction with something or rather.

In the former case, it took alot of motivation (<3 KP-V/Silas for providing that) to actually start being active again.

In the latter case, I came back completely revitalised and fresh with seemingly boundless enthusiasm that led to my introduction into RP in general, and the resulting awesome that I continue to find around with you guys (despite the bitchfits we all get into sometimes  :lol:)

Glad to hear about your stuff Seri - I hope your newfound enthusiasm gives you a new look on EVE and then go and enjoy it!

Innocence prooves nothing - Solen Sean

Boma Airaken

• Egger
« Reply #13 on: 19 Apr 2011, 05:08 »

Pretty easy. Do what I did and get infected by nasty rogue drone nano brain eating things. Then have UNIT cure you.

Best eve vacation ever.

Usagi Tsukino

• Wetgraver
  • Fail RPer; Doing It Wrong.
    • Usagi's Seldom Updated Twitter Account
« Reply #14 on: 19 Apr 2011, 23:03 »

I've taken several breaks from EVE, ranging from 1yr breaks to 2-5 week breaks. Each time when I come back I realize how no other game can satisfy my many needs like EVE.  :P

Make sure you keep training. You will regret not doing so. I am missing 25m +/- skill points due to about 12-15 months of missed training time. Makes me cry.

Stimulus :: Multispectacular
<3 Gurista raised, Caldari Navy trained, Bacchanalian alt. <3
Chaotic Dreams | An IC Blog Experiment
Pages: [1] 2