Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The number of young, idealistic scientists found in Verge Vendor is disproportionately high? (Region Description)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Spoiler tags, the topic of rape etc.  (Read 3629 times)

Laerise [PIE]

• Definetly not a Khanid !
  • Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums
Spoiler tags, the topic of rape etc.
« on: 19 Apr 2013, 03:29 »

Dear moderation team,

I'd like to raise the issue of the irresponsible use of the word "rape" on these forums.

First off a question: Does the moderation team in any way or form condone the rape of men, women or children?

Because if that is the case I'll just leave.

Now to my next question, does the use of spoiler tags make the mods less likely to moderate one's comment (be it in written form or as a picture/animation?).

Thank you for clearing this up.

Lyn Farel

Re: Spoiler tags, the topic of rape etc.
« Reply #1 on: 19 Apr 2013, 03:53 »

For the use of the rape word, I think it is a more complicated question. It just goes back to the universal variable, extremely present in the english speaking internet community even if it's something probably universal on the internet (in my opinion), which is minimalizing the strong meaning behind some very vulgar slangs, "fuck" being the first one to come in mind, or like in the eve community "ass rape", "rape train", "stfu", "htfu", or even "it's gay" or the extremely offensive misogynist "you don't have balls / he had the balls to do that", or whatever. Everything then tends to quickly get into hyperboles to express a feeling or a thought, which means that people will usually tend to use stronger, violent, connoted words to express the same feelings that could have been expressed with more moderate, peaceful words. It does not mean that people are themselves violent, disgusting, or else (even if a lot of them actually are but that's just my misanthropic side speaking), it just means that they do it unconsciously because everyone did it and lessened somehow the bearing of these words/phrasings.

Often too, it can be used in a funny way actually meant to make all these strong things a lot more bearable, when taken with a smile (in a positive way). It somewhat a double edged sword to my eyes, but well...

Overall on this topic in particular, I have already reported a significant amount of posts containing that kind of slang that I consider sexually offensive or violent, and that contribute to my opinion to an oppressive atmosphere where I feel surrounded by intense, aggressive words and phrasings. The reported posts never really got moderated, which might point at cultural differences or just a thin skin on my behalf, I honestly don't know. But I am quite weary of the use of that kind of words every time for everything.

For the offensive images in spoiler tags somehow not being moderated, I didn't notice in the first place but I agree, so why not reporting it in the first place ?

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #2 on: 19 Apr 2013, 03:57 »

So, because you got in trouble... you're pointing to the other kid in the room and saying "But he did ______!".

... because that's what this thread seems like.

If you have a problem with Ember's signature, report it. Don't start a tattle thread.

Laerise [PIE]

• Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums
« Reply #3 on: 19 Apr 2013, 03:59 »

So, because you got in trouble... you're pointing to the other kid in the room and saying "But he did ______!".

If you have a problem with Ember's signature, report it. Don't start a tattle thread.

I did, several times.

Also please stop the personal attacks, there's a thread regarding the "YDIW" stuff already, use that one.

Also some food for thought: http://evenews24.com/2012/02/28/corelins-mad-haberdashers-sexism-in-eve-online/

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
« Reply #4 on: 19 Apr 2013, 04:01 »

Also some food for thought: http://evenews24.com/2012/02/28/corelins-mad-haberdashers-sexism-in-eve-online/

That was actually a very good article. I remember reading it a while ago and generally agree with much of what is said in there.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #5 on: 19 Apr 2013, 04:06 »

You know, that's something I have always had a bad experience with in this community. Every time you want to express something that you believe to be true, and when someone is violently opposed to your view, you often get slandered by such comments, which are kind of ad-hom : instead of speaking about the issue at hand, the people answering start pointing at your own failings - even if they may be true.

Yes, even if that thread exactly looks like that.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
« Reply #6 on: 19 Apr 2013, 04:08 »

You know, that's something I have always had a bad experience with in this community. Every time you want to express something that you believe to be true, and when someone is violently opposed to your view, you often get slandered by such comments, which are kind of ad-hom : instead of speaking about the issue at hand, the people answering start pointing at your own failings - even if they may be true.

Yes, even if that thread exactly looks like that.

This is why one should wait until later before expressing the viewpoint.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #7 on: 19 Apr 2013, 04:14 »

Waiting is not going to change anything. As much as I would like to believe that people have short memories, they actually do not when it comes to remembering things like that.

Not matter how you turn or twist it, that kind of report will always look like the kid caught pants down and complaining that another one is doing the same thing. Well, I believe if another one is doing it too, he should be subject to the same rules, no matter who pointed at it.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
« Reply #8 on: 19 Apr 2013, 04:19 »

Waiting is not going to change anything. As much as I would like to believe that people have short memories, they actually do not when it comes to remembering things like that.

Not matter how you turn or twist it, that kind of report will always look like the kid caught pants down and complaining that another one is doing the same thing. Well, I believe if another one is doing it too, he should be subject to the same rules, no matter who pointed at it.

Wait what?

I'm saying Laerise should have simply reported the signature instead of making this thread.

Are you saying she should not report the signature, and make a thread instead? The exact opposite?

Or are you suggesting neither? Both? I'm confused.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #9 on: 19 Apr 2013, 04:30 »

I am confused by your own answer to be honest. xD

No, as you say it should have been reported instead, but since Laerise says it actually has been... Maybe the mods have not taken action yet if it was yesterday or this morning anyway, which is quite to be expected, they are not omnipotent.

My basic issue is with the statement about that post looking like a kid saying "But he did !". It's ad-hominem, it's like if I said that you only came to that thread to defend your friend Ember, which would be kind of speculative to being with, and offensive, and would not even actually address the point. It's kind of gratuitous.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #10 on: 19 Apr 2013, 05:35 »

I did, several times.

You might be able to lie to Katrina, who can't see the report section of the forums, but you can't lie to me or the other moderators. You have not reported it even once.

It was reported a grand total of two times as of this writing: the first was a complaint about possible "NSFW" - the response was that a) it wasn't, b) the user probably shouldn't be reading the forums at work if that is a problem, and c) there's an option to disable avatars and signatures in the user control panel.

The second report came in less than three hours ago. It was not made by you.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Laerise [PIE]

• Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums
« Reply #11 on: 19 Apr 2013, 05:39 »

I did, several times.

You might be able to lie to Katrina, who can't see the report section of the forums, but you can't lie to me or the other moderators. You have not reported it even once.

It was reported a grand total of two times as of this writing: the first was a complaint about possible "NSFW" - the response was that a) it wasn't, b) the user probably shouldn't be reading the forums at work if that is a problem, and c) there's an option to disable avatars and signatures in the user control panel.

The second report came in less than three hours ago. It was not made by you.

Wow, hold your horses there  :lol: "lying" is a rather strong word and I was pretty certain I had reported it at least twice v0v.

It doesn't change the matter at hand though, the ability to disable signatures and avatars does not either.

Edit: Also cut back on the hostility...  :s Also reported for violation of rule 3.
« Last Edit: 19 Apr 2013, 05:55 by Laerise [PIE] »

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #12 on: 19 Apr 2013, 05:47 »

It is not a strong word at all. It is very accurate.

You said you did something. You demonstrably did not.

Being passive-aggressive and mentioning signatures without naming names does not count as reporting.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Laerise [PIE]

• Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums
« Reply #13 on: 19 Apr 2013, 05:56 »

It is not a strong word at all. It is very accurate.

You said you did something. You demonstrably did not.

Being passive-aggressive and mentioning signatures without naming names does not count as reporting.

The only who is passive-agressive, Morwen, is you...?

ArtOfLight

• Retired Combat Pilot
  • Omelette
  • Bright Stars, Clear Horizons
« Reply #14 on: 19 Apr 2013, 06:06 »

The only who is passive-agressive, Morwen, is you...?

Laerise, I mean this sincerely and not as an attack on you. Arguing with a moderator and playing blame games is not the most intuitive way to make your case. I understand you feel you've been slighted by the moderation and you don't agree with their decisions and you feel like they target you with their moderation but making a public show of it is only going to worsen the situation, not improve it.

Maybe you didn't lie and you really thought you reported the post twice; the point is that you didn't report it twice so rather than becoming defensive and antagonistic, you should apologize for blaming the moderators for not acting when you hadn't actually reported anything because it wasn't their fault for not acting.

Maybe you truly feel like the signature of Ember is inappropriate because of the language used; report the signature properly, state your reasons and leave it to the moderators to do their job or explain to you their reasoning for disagreeing with you. Continuing to argue it here and getting into a back-and-forth with a moderator is not going to accomplish your goal.

In fact, the only thing it is likely to do is make you look like you're crying foul for attention.

For the record, I dislike the signature myself but my personal tastes aren't the guidelines by which this board is moderated.
"A man's courage can be measured by what he does, his wisdom by what he chooses not to do and his character by the sum of both."
Pages: [1] 2