Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the war between Electus Matari and PIE Inc started when -EM- pilots destroyed a slaver vessel in The Bleak Lands?

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Problem with Pony Planet?  (Read 4495 times)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
Re: Problem with Pony Planet?
« Reply #30 on: 22 Apr 2013, 14:47 »

After a whimsical conversation with Des, I got thinking. I have been using Celtic, Hellenic, and Romantic naming themes for Elusenia (Elusen is Welsh, capital of Caerleon is a village in Wales, etc.), as I feel this is a good source of influence for the Gallente in general. The two goddesses on the flag are called Eleimosyni and Elpida, basically Greek works for something (charity is one of them). The military harbour in Caerleon I called Tintagel, after the castle where King Arthur was presumably born. And so on.

Noticing people's general reactions, it seems this is viewed far more pretentiously than doing something similar with, say, the Minmatar, Caldari, or even the Amarr.

Why is that? It is mildly frustrating. I know our Reddit-derived opinion of current modern democracy and American pop culture, but doing anything classical-oriented with Gallente is looked on with some derision.

Yet doing something weaboo with the Caldari is not.

Anslol

« Reply #31 on: 22 Apr 2013, 15:18 »

Pretentious ICly or OOCly?

ICly people would say hurrhurr pretentious because they think it's overly dramatic in terms of names and such. Like why is a colony being so aristocratic and blablabla etc.

OOCly, how the hell is that pretentious?? Those are some epic names and you've clearly put a lot of work into this, good work O_o

Adreena Madeveda

• What's your favourite thing about space ?
  • Egger
  • Mine is space.
    • A Blog !
« Reply #32 on: 22 Apr 2013, 15:38 »

Eleêmosynê is charity
Elpida is hope

Not a bad choice :)
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more; it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Shakespeare, Macbecth

Lyn Farel

« Reply #33 on: 22 Apr 2013, 15:48 »

After a whimsical conversation with Des, I got thinking. I have been using Celtic, Hellenic, and Romantic naming themes for Elusenia (Elusen is Welsh, capital of Caerleon is a village in Wales, etc.), as I feel this is a good source of influence for the Gallente in general. The two goddesses on the flag are called Eleimosyni and Elpida, basically Greek works for something (charity is one of them). The military harbour in Caerleon I called Tintagel, after the castle where King Arthur was presumably born. And so on.

Noticing people's general reactions, it seems this is viewed far more pretentiously than doing something similar with, say, the Minmatar, Caldari, or even the Amarr.

Why is that? It is mildly frustrating. I know our Reddit-derived opinion of current modern democracy and American pop culture, but doing anything classical-oriented with Gallente is looked on with some derision.

Yet doing something weaboo with the Caldari is not.

Maybe because people actually expect that kind of things from the Amarr with their aristocracy and Holders.

But for Caldari or Minmatar I am pretty sure that most people would have the same reaction, even calling the guy delusional and "NOT CALDARI / NOT MINMATAR".

More seriously, I think that it might be tied to the fact that you are playing on a direct trope (don't know which one it is) where megalomaniac vilains often create their own wicked societies/mansions/lairs where they stand in the middle with roman clothes and surrounded by giant statues of greek gods like Zeus. Even if that's definitely not what you are doing, players will see it that way unconsciously. There is also the "Buckingham Palace" trope too. It may come more natural to british culture, but for many people it might also sound very cheesy.

I like what you are doing though, there is a little something that makes it unique.

Shintoko Akahoshi

• Red Mom of War(?)
  • Pod Captain
  • Red Mom of War!
« Reply #34 on: 22 Apr 2013, 16:46 »

I think a lot of people have this internal image of the Gallente Federation as Their Favorite Western Democracy In Space™. The Amarr and Minmatar are both fairly alien, with the Caldari coming in a distant third, in that we don't have modern day major nations (i.e.: nations in the G8) that resemble them. The Gallente Federation just feels like a natural extension of France or the US or the UK or whatever. I think that leads to both people having an instinctual distrust of anything that would make the GalFed seem more alien, as well as a dismissal of the idea of a real Gallente culture - "They don't have culture, they have pop culture!"

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #35 on: 22 Apr 2013, 21:55 »

I think that leads to both people having an instinctual distrust of anything that would make the GalFed seem more alien, as well as a dismissal of the idea of a real Gallente culture - "They don't have culture, they have pop culture!"

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssss +10000000

Also for everyone else interested, I'm working on a wiki page, but it's an utter mess right now. Bit by bit.

Anslol

« Reply #36 on: 23 Apr 2013, 06:39 »

The only reason the Fed doesn't seem to have culture is because we haven't really fleshed it out. Supposedly there's so many freaking cultures so..I dunno.
Pages: 1 2 [3]