Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that hovercraft are common vehicles on stations? (p. 88)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Anette the pop star! (?)  (Read 5383 times)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
Anette the pop star! (?)
« on: 08 May 2011, 18:41 »

I came up with an idea. Some of you have, to my lasting appreciation, been playing along to the RP of 10-year old Anette Inhonores, as a rising cultural icon amongst the Gallente Federation (and to contrast her father's reputation). Her "GalNet entry" and the score are located here and a picture of her can be found here. She exists in-game as a "face" but otherwise has a blank portrait (just a nebula), and is not intended to be a "capsuleer", even though technically (as far as game mechanics are concerned) she is.

Right now, she's an actress and charity activist, and a preteen idol for girls. What I propose, and what I want to get your thoughts on, is her busting out into the music industry as a pop star, and touring New Eden, performing concerts for the masses (assuming they accept a Gallentean icon) and so forth. In terms of RP, this would be represented by hosting various events for capsuleers, regardless of affliation (except Sansha, sorry*), as "penthouse parties", or whatever. Each would have a different theme depending where they are at. For example, in lowsec Minmatar, she would perform a concert for the men and women of the Republic Fleet and TLF (not sure if she's old enough to catch an adult audience, but she currently has the approval of parents in the Federation), and then host a party for TLF capsuleers and Minmatar loyalists. She would go to the Empire and State as well, but places that would be marked as having some levels of Gallenteanization. Obviously, she is surrounded in impregnable layers of private security, to prevent any godmodding. There are problems with this, however...

Though people have been gracious so far in interacting with her as a player-character in-game and on the IGS, the moment she might physically move around in-game might put some schticks into it, and people might go "No it's all liez". What would she fly around in? A Gallente Shuttle or Exequror (an Opux Luxury Yacht would be great plzkthx)? It would not be "flown" by her, but what happens if someone ganks her? Out comes a pod onoes. Maybe a secure cabin ejected from the ship before explosion, and is small enough to not appear on capsuleer scanner?

I have a feeling this might polarize people into two opposite ends. The two things I want to know is 1) Would you be interested and enjoy such RP events and 2) What are the problems and how can they be overcome?

I leave you with a picture of Ranka Lee

*that said, it's meant to include everyone anyway, so feel free to provide workarounds that are not immersion-breaking. Will have to be good!
« Last Edit: 08 May 2011, 18:59 by Seriphyn »

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
Re: Anette the pop star! (?)
« Reply #1 on: 08 May 2011, 18:59 »

In the mission The Anomaly, there are multiple escape capsules at a  wrecked ship that have the same exact model as the Capsuleer Capsule. The description identifies it as a 'mundane escape capsule', however.

It may be entirely believable that she is using a normal escape capsule and not a Capsuleer one. Of course if she's podded and you don't biomass, the suspension of disbelief is getting stretched like superglue.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Ember Vykos

• Not so bitter bitter fucking vet...
  • Pod Captain
  • I bring nothing to the table.
« Reply #2 on: 08 May 2011, 19:13 »

I think it could be a pretty cool thing to do. It might get a bit old after a while, but as said in Gladiator the mob is fickle so thats to be expected.

Moving her around shouldn't be all that hard. Given that she is a 'pop star' moving around from show to show she could probably just charter her own private InterBus shuttle to move around in. If you need/want her to physically be in the local of the venue then as long as it isn't in 0.0 you shouldn't have a problem moving her around in a shuttle.

I do agree with Ghost that in the unlikely event she does get podded and isn't biomassed you are stretching things a bit thin.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Current active RP character(s) - Kairelle
Past RP characters - Ember Vykos, Simca Develon

Crucifire

« Reply #3 on: 08 May 2011, 19:18 »

In before that one guy comes along and calls her delusional for thinking she's a capsuleer.

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #4 on: 08 May 2011, 19:38 »

I eagerly await the release of her first single, "Friday."
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #5 on: 08 May 2011, 20:15 »

It's your character, Seriphyn, you do what you please.

I will say this though, if I had such a daughter character, they would have remained an important subplot piece for my main character and not a character all on her own. In other words, are you going to give this character the range and dimension of a main character, or are they just going to be a set piece for a side story? She makes a good plot development point for Seriphyn, but I don't think she merits a status all on her own. But ultimately that's for YOU to decide...

Another point to make is: if you've made her a physical character in the world of eve (through the capsuleer character creation system), it means you want them to interact with capsuleers in space some way. If she's supposed to be a pre-teen idol and only ten years old, I'd cringe to discover what kind of capsuleers would show up at one of her shows. Also, other than combat or the risk of death, I'm not seeing much purpose to having her in space. If it was my daughter, and I was a capsuleer, you bet your rear she'd be on MY ship, not some generic shuttle or transport vessel. Capsuleers have lots of enemies, especially Generals embedded in an interstellar war. So other than parties, how is she going to interact? Do you plan on letting her die, or are you secretly hoping that happens?

So, yeah, other than the obvious conflicts Ghost pointed out, those are the main reasons I wouldn't be all that excited about it.

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #6 on: 08 May 2011, 20:16 »

I eagerly await the release of her first single, "Friday."

or even "Tuesday"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCApGE7JeSI
Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #7 on: 08 May 2011, 23:44 »

or even banana

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #8 on: 09 May 2011, 01:20 »

Vincent's current avatar (for posteriority: it's a bear) is a bit creepy for this thread.

And well, I think we've had children characters and non-capsuleer characters before. Chat channels pose no problems (no - the character wouldn't show on the capsuleer guest list, as she isn't a capsuleer), and the character could be roleplayed to take a chartered flight, or moving on board someone else's ship. Of course, Incarna will break this, as all characters there are same-size, and to be there you must be there.

As for being a child star, like some people pointed out, there's no problem with that. She can either be a genuine star, or then daddy's money can buy her stardom (including a singing voice by someone else). A ten-year old performing for adults - well, that'd depend on a lot of things and of the show concept. For comparison of our current teen stars, oh well: Miley in 2003 (age 11).

Akrasjel Lanate

• Omelette
« Reply #9 on: 09 May 2011, 01:43 »

Anette again... she still wan't to be president... Don't have my vote yet  :|
Would you be interested and enjoy such RP event
Post it about on IGS and you will see :eek:

Vieve

« Reply #10 on: 09 May 2011, 03:31 »

I will say this though, if I had such a daughter character, they would have remained an important subplot piece for my main character and not a character all on her own.

Because as Celeste can tell you, daughters with minds and storylines of their own can be quite the pain in the ass -- and parents too: just look how poor Andreus' dad is trying to get him killed!

I wouldn't have a problem with this plot.  Sure, some of my characters would shake their heads (and none of them would buy "Whip My Hair"when it comes out), but they wouldn't actively intervene.

Obviously, she is surrounded in impregnable layers of private security, to prevent any godmodding.

Pre-emptive godmodding to prevent godmodding.  I like it!  One question, though -- since it looks like you might not want to deal with the possibility of her being kidnapped or killed while she's on a station or planet, why would Seriphyn ICly consider sending her anywhere that he isn't exactly welcome (e.g. the State, the Empire)?

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #11 on: 09 May 2011, 06:18 »

Well, I know a lot of capsuleers are deviant oddballs, but I know that none of my characters would have any interest in interacting with a ten year old teen idol. On the contrary, they would highly suspect indecent motivations if a "demi-god" found the musings of a child "interesting".

Not saying you cannot RP a teen idol but unless other children are present on IGS I would suspect very limited response.
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #12 on: 09 May 2011, 06:46 »

You would think, Myyona, but I was surprised with how people positively responded. Since Anette is a child and not a capsuleer, she doesn't pose a "threat" to others, perhaps.

Anette was previously a background, subplot character within Seriphyn's RP, but sometimes it ended up too plot devicey (there's a lot of child kidnapping arcs and whatnot). She's also not the only child player-character kicking around, so I figured I'd take it up a level and do something interesting with her as opposed to some "go-go-ga-ga" item that she was beforehand.

She wouldn't perform the concert to capsuleers of course, just a bunch of groundpounders. The afterparty though would be hosted for capsuleers. IC/in-universe, I'm not entirely sure why it would be exactly, but OOC, it's for an RP inclusive event for everyone

Chowda

• Egger
« Reply #13 on: 09 May 2011, 09:05 »

Got a Minmei feel to it.

Sinjin Mokk

• Egger
  • One Kingdom, One King!
    • Dark Amarr
« Reply #14 on: 09 May 2011, 09:49 »

Gallente pop star?