Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Grown on a terrestrial world in the Harroule system, the Dryweed plant has fragile, yellowish leaves that burn very slowly, giving off a pleasant vapor that is known to have a soothing effect when inhaled.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: "Out of Game" and le devs  (Read 13352 times)

Makoto Priano

Re: "Out of Game" and le devs
« Reply #60 on: 27 Apr 2015, 08:53 »

So. Here's a thing.

For years, CCP has been stung by IA issues on in-game events and player involvement. Now, finally, we have a new wave of ambition from CCP to try to involve players in the lore, to the point that Max Singularity got a mention in the Scope Video ticker.  :D

The trick? Do something that people love, and it'll get mentioned. If it's in the same vein as current events, if it's not self-aggrandizing, if it's popular or fun, it'll get a nod. Sure, popularity isn't a good filter for this sort of thing, but it's either that or they try to be content- and creator-neutral, which I guarantee will be terrible.

Otherwise, if too many people gripe about CCP's new push, you'll discourage the devs involved and we'll go back to a time when player activity is roundly ignored.  :cry:

I know that we don't want this, and I know that's not the intent of people here? But y'know.
« Last Edit: 27 Apr 2015, 09:17 by Makoto Priano »

Anskek

« Reply #61 on: 27 Apr 2015, 08:58 »

So. Here's a thing.

For years, CCP has been stung by IA issues on in-game events and player involvement. Now, finally, we have a new wave of ambition from CCP to try to involve players in the lore, to the point that Max Singularity got a mention in the Scope Video ticker.

The trick? Do something that people love, and it'll get mentioned. If it's in the same vein as current events, if it's not self-aggrandizing, if it's popular or fun, it'll get a nod. Sure, popularity isn't a good filter for this sort of thing, but it's either that or they try to be content- and creator-neutral, which I guarantee will be terrible.

Otherwise, if too many people gripe about CCP's new push, you'll discourage the devs involved and we'll go back to a time when player activity is roundly ignored.

^^^^^ THIS

Lyn Farel

« Reply #62 on: 27 Apr 2015, 08:59 »

I am not sure people are trying to push against player-dev interaction or collusion... That would be stupid...

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #63 on: 27 Apr 2015, 09:09 »

Silas no offense, and I'm sorry if this seems mean, but this entire situation has just seemed to me like a bunch of passive aggressive suggestions of favoritism presented in a 'civil' way for the sake of discourse that led to my thread being closed, our work being basically muddied, and now probably going to lead to another IA incident. If you really don't mean to stir shit as Morwen said, please let this fucking topic drop.

I'm already discouraged as it is.

No I don't need your reassurance. No I don't fucking want your explanation. If you actually do respect me and the others, drop this bullshit, all of you. At this point I don't even know if I wanna bother with this again given all the shit it got. I don't care about the intent behind your discourse in all this. Intent is irrelevant. How the message is received is all that matters.

I wanted to do something fun, I wanted to move the story along, I wanted you all to see the potential of what could happen here. But no, jealousy, bitterness, and nit picking at pointless details won the day. Congrats. You all won. I learned my lesson.

My issue is this:

Love me or hate me, I don't give a fuck

How is this hard to understand.

Save a NPC freighter, everyone congratulates you. Move the story along and everyone bitches.
Funny how this shit works, isn't it?
Mods, you can close this thread. Don't know why I fucking bother.

PS, you don't like that we got canonized?

Then do better scrubs.

I'm sorry but you know what pisses me off? That a frivolous thing like faction hoping and communication with CCP is being focused on instead of the hours of work WE PUT INTO THIS SHIT SO YALL COULDD HAVE FUN. There's more BITCHING and ungrateful petulant anger in here about fucking stupid ass details that could easily be seen as desperate times desperate fucking measures. To those who have gave constructive feed back, you rock. To those who thanked us, we will continue working. To those who can't see anything but a half empty glass, please butt out and rain on another parade. Jesus fucking Christ.

I like you Anslo but I find these comments less than helpful or inclusive.  This has the exact opposite effect of getting people to participate.

And 0 passive aggressive here. It's the internet, if I'm aggressive it will be obvious. If I'm giving congrats I mean it. If I'm critical it doesn't mean I don't like a thing.

Makoto Priano

« Reply #64 on: 27 Apr 2015, 09:13 »

Anslo's a lovable guy once you get his tendency to wave e-peen or beat his chest. ;)

(<3 Anslol.)

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #65 on: 27 Apr 2015, 09:19 »

Anslo's a lovable guy once you get his tendency to wave e-peen or beat his chest. ;)

(<3 Anslol.)

Oh I know, that's why I don't mind calling it out when I sees it.  He knows hes good people.  :yar:

Anskek

« Reply #66 on: 27 Apr 2015, 09:25 »

Wave seriously? You think this is about epeen?

Hah. Hahaha. Wow.

Fuck you all. I'm out o/

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #67 on: 27 Apr 2015, 09:34 »

No, Lyn, it's not.

People got mad that Anslo of all people got favorable attention from CCP for something cool that he and several other people did. His point about the freighters post-Caldari Prime was entirely valid - why do some people get a "\o/ yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay" thread for getting recognition while he gets flames and attacks and accusations of collusion and favoritism under some thin guise of "wait what's Slack"?

I am going to repeat myself another time.

Slack is an IRC analogue (just like EVE's chat system!) with server-side logging and in-line image and video support.

Slack has been openly discussed or mentioned in OOC, many times, since it was set up. Some people have asked about what it was, or googled it themselves, as a result. Some of them signed up afterward. Some people have done neither of those things. It is no more difficult than finding out about or signing up for Backstage, or any other internet forum that is not widely advertised.

And claiming Backstage is advertised in comparison is a bit disingenuous, while we're at it - it had a community spotlight 3 years ago done by Eterne, which didn't increase member count much, and is linked in the MOTD for OOC and Red's District. Beyond that, it's people mentioning it when people have things they've posted, and little else. Which is more or less what slack is getting, minus the MOTD mention - and nobody really reads MOTDs anyway, as I'm sure most of us are aware.

As for my personal irritation, I think Makoto summed it up well.

Someone goes out of their way to create high-quality content, CCP acknowledges it, then haters just crawl out of the woodwork and get mad that their stuff didn't get any attention when it was likely neither relevant to the storyline or sufficiently interesting to be worth a mention, or start throwing around insinuations or outright accusations of favoritism or collusion or gatekeeping, instead of being congratulatory for four of our own getting a whole fucking Scope video and a very small event ingame to occur based on that work, and politely - I stress politely rather than the passive-aggressive sniping that occurred - inquiring about the process by which it happened, or where discussion was taking place.

So Anslo's response really should not be surprising. I've already been pretty near to that point for a few months.
« Last Edit: 27 Apr 2015, 09:35 by Morwen Lagann »
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Liuni Kalthis

• Wetgraver
« Reply #68 on: 27 Apr 2015, 09:34 »

*sighs* and then people wonder why I never mention backstage to new players. The level of salt could rival a Roman salt mine and the past few days seems people have taken to forum pvp. I'm out for a bit too, send questions to eve mail if you have any and enjoy rubbing that sand into pearls.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #69 on: 27 Apr 2015, 09:46 »

So Anslo's response really should not be surprising. I've already been pretty near to that point for a few months.

I'm surprised by both of your replies lately.  You have to admit the above reply from A
Fuck you all. I'm out o/

is a bit beyond the pale, yes?  Is there an obscene amount of bitter coming your way privately lately or what?

« Last Edit: 27 Apr 2015, 10:07 by Silas Vitalia »

Lyn Farel

« Reply #70 on: 27 Apr 2015, 10:15 »

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #71 on: 27 Apr 2015, 10:18 »

There is a lot of bitter all over the place lately, Silas. Just keep it in mind a wee bit when you are in conversation with someone. Since I came back to EVE recently, even I was blindsided by some of the bitterness I saw in-game. It's not Morwen.

Edit: The toxicity I have noticed since coming back has shifted my opinion on this whole topic. It used to be that I would have been one of the naysayers about much that seems to be happening. Now? We are lucky that people are even talking to each other or that CCP is taking notice of anything. If I don't like something I just won't be involved, but bless whoever makes content at this point.
« Last Edit: 27 Apr 2015, 10:20 by Glitter »

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #72 on: 27 Apr 2015, 10:26 »

There is a lot of bitter all over the place lately, Silas. Just keep it in mind a wee bit when you are in conversation with someone. Since I came back to EVE recently, even I was blindsided by some of the bitterness I saw in-game. It's not Morwen.

I understand there might be a wider context of 'bitterness' I'm not privy to, thank you for pointing that out.

That needs to be directed back at or around those particular people though; we're all nice adults typing into the internet about a computer game, let's not lose context.

My day and my life (and none of yours) is materially effected if Morwen or Anslo or Graelyn is on the eve front page for assassinating Jamyl or marring Tibus Heth or making babies with the Drifter Queen. Head shaking and internet criticism yes, real life anger or upsetness, no.

None of this is that important to be telling people to fuck off or to let some stranger on the internet get you that upset.

Edit: Is it that bad lately for real?

« Last Edit: 27 Apr 2015, 10:32 by Silas Vitalia »

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #73 on: 27 Apr 2015, 10:32 »

I understand there might be a wider context of 'bitterness' I'm not privy to, thank you for pointing that out.

That needs to be directed back at or around those particular people though; we're all nice adults typing into the internet about a computer game, let's not lose context.

Edit: Is it that bad lately for real?

In my experience since returning, yes. It is possible that a roll of the dice meant that I saw more than is representative when I returned, but that would have to be something others confirm.

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
« Reply #74 on: 27 Apr 2015, 10:54 »

honest question

which In-game chat channels are actually aimed to talk about roleplaying these days? i left #live-events and other similar channels once it became clear everyone was a little too eager to participate ...

It's the first time i've seen the #lore channel mentioned....i know corps have channels for each of them (which are listed in a neat sticky somehwere in the site)....but the rest is just "here be dragons" kind of situation....

Don't quite have the time to do much research (a 2 year old kid and plenty of work) but i would still wish to be in the loop of the cool RP things happening....so to whom should i send a PM with inquiries?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6