Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

One of the first ways to crack safe spots was to warp past the person and hope your bookmark landed you next to them?

Author Topic: Dev Post [Kronos] Phoenix and Citadel Missiles  (Read 1860 times)

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
Dev Post [Kronos] Phoenix and Citadel Missiles
« on: 07 May 2014, 10:22 »

Mighty Phoenix dunk source

Quote from: CCP Fozzie
Hey guys, we have a pass on the Phoenix and Citadel Missiles for your feedback. The goals are to significantly improve the Phoenix for use against other caps (especially moving caps) and structures while avoiding turning it into some kind of subcap blapping monster.

First big change is to the skill bonuses on the Phoenix. We'd be swapping the kinetic damage bonus to a 4% per level shield resistances bonus. This lets the Phoenix choose any damage type, and gives it a great tank improvement.

The loss of the damage bonus is more than compensated by a change to Citadel launcher RoF. We're improving the RoF of Citadel Cruise Launchers by 20% and Citadel Torp Launchers by 25%. This equals a 25 and 33% increase in dps respectively, more than making up for the loss of the kinetic bonus.

Although the Leviathan titan isn't the focus of this change, we will be tweaking its kinetic damage bonus down to 100% instead of the previous 125% to keep it from becoming too powerful with the launcher RoF changes. This means that it still sees a reasonable dps increase from current values, 11% when using Cruise and 19% when using Torps. Its bonus will remain Kinetic only for now. I won't rule out changing that in the future, but this a Phoenix pass not a Titan rebalance.

To get the missiles onto their target faster, we're increasing the missile velocity of Citadel Cruises by 34% and Citadel Torps by 100%. Flight time is being reduced to keep overall range about the same.

Now onto damage application. I realized that we have a lot of room to make Citadel missiles better at hitting unwebbed moving capitals without making them much better for hitting webbed/painted subcaps by improving their explosion velocity significantly and then nerfing their explosion radius to a lesser degree.

We're buffing the explosion velocity of Citadel Cruises by 38%, and nerfing their explosion radius by 14%.
We're buffing the explosion velocity of Citadel Torps by 75%, and nerfing their explosion radius by 50%.

One side effect of such significant changes is that the Torps would start doing reduced damage to starbase modules and to small towers themselves. So we're increasing the sig radius of all starbase structures that sit outside the shields from 2000 to 3000, small towers from 2000 to 4000 and medium towers from 4000 to 5000.

After these changes the Phoenix should have quite a strong role as a dread that can apply solid damage to caps and structures with a great tank, damage selection and capless weapons.

Let me know what you think.

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
Re: Dev Post [Kronos] Phoenix and Citadel Missiles
« Reply #1 on: 07 May 2014, 13:45 »

Double Plus good, congrats to them finally trying to make Caldari Dreads useful.

Not sure about increasing sig radius of many things to fix one weapon system though?

And if the other dreads are blapping sub caps that are webbed, then this one should too.  All ok or none ok.

Ayallah

• Kameira
  • Egger
« Reply #2 on: 07 May 2014, 15:30 »

Now that you have a tank and selectable damage caps can no longer speed tank you!

(they can sig tank you though so...)

:psyccp:

DeadRow

• Bit of a Dick
  • Omelette
  • Loyal to herself
« Reply #3 on: 07 May 2014, 17:44 »

Double Plus good, congrats to them finally trying to make Caldari Dreads useful.

Not sure about increasing sig radius of many things to fix one weapon system though?

And if the other dreads are blapping sub caps that are webbed, then this one should too.  All ok or none ok.

The sig radius on structures is rather moot, all the other dreads/ships in game can already apply full dps to them and the only thing that can't (now) is the Phoenix.

Looks good on paper, will have to check it out on Sisi though.

[12:40:50] Kasuko Merin > He has this incredible talent for making posts at people that could be <i>literally</i> quoted straight back at him and still apply.

Desiderya

« Reply #4 on: 08 May 2014, 05:41 »

Now that you have a tank and selectable damage caps can no longer speed tank you!

(they can sig tank you though so...)

:psyccp:

Sure about the sig tanking? Explosion size should be at 2250. Considering your average dread sits between 2900 and 3100 skirmish links should top drop it to ~2000, which is nothing a single TP can't fix.

Ayallah

• Kameira
  • Egger
« Reply #5 on: 08 May 2014, 08:28 »

Sure about the sig tanking? Explosion size should be at 2250. Considering your average dread sits between 2900 and 3100 skirmish links should top drop it to ~2000, which is nothing a single TP can't fix.

Not in triage or siege.

Desiderya

« Reply #6 on: 08 May 2014, 08:45 »

True, but then it's still like 90% of the damage applied.

Ayallah

• Kameira
  • Egger
« Reply #7 on: 08 May 2014, 09:13 »

Starting off with ~10% of your damage removed from your ideal target (lol structures jk not really I'm just serious) is what had people complaining about them in the first place.

add in x-instinct or halos or rag links (all unlikely ofc on an example archon) and travel time and they really haven't changed the phoenix at all. 

It is tankier though, and selectable damage types are very appealing.
I just don't think it is the groundbreaking buff everyone was hoping. 

And I doubt when they get to capitals that they are going to buff it much more while all the rest get changed. 

Once again leaving it behind :colbert:

Just my two cents on it.

Desiderya

« Reply #8 on: 08 May 2014, 10:28 »

Put Rigor in, use hardwiring. Either bite the 10% - it's not like paper dps wins in the end - or work around it. Making it better than others in every way is kind of retarded, too. Or use it against shield caps. vOv

Ayallah

• Kameira
  • Egger
« Reply #9 on: 11 May 2014, 22:40 »

I am not saying there aren't work arounds

I am saying it is not a straight buff like many people seem to think.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
« Reply #10 on: 12 May 2014, 01:01 »

Do not forget, or underestimate, the Phoenix's ability to apply damage while moving. A bad bump on jump in can render a Moros or Naglfar almost useless, the Phoenix does not have this issue.

Desiderya

« Reply #11 on: 12 May 2014, 02:31 »

You pay for it through delayed damage application. But it'd be a shame if every dread would be a simple copy - we could just have generic ones instead.

Makoto Priano

« Reply #12 on: 12 May 2014, 09:42 »

Dreadnaughts' sigs just went up ~38%, 39%.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
« Reply #13 on: 12 May 2014, 09:51 »

Quote from: CCP Fozzie
Hey everyone.

I can honestly say that I am not overly worried that carriers being able to reduce a portion of citadel missile damage through the use of gang links and/or halo implants will break the balance involved with these ships. The Phoenix is going to be doing a lot more damage in virtually all realistic situations compared to today and it will be doing it while also benefitting from the resist bonus and omni damage.

That being said, I think there is an opportunity here to both reduce the impact of skirmish links on Phoenixes while also differentiating dreads and carriers a bit. The fact that dreads and carriers have almost identical signature radius has never made much sense, and it is entirely appropriate for stationary dreads to have a much harder time mitigating missile damage.

So we're going to go ahead and increase the sig radius of all four dreads alongside this change:

Revelation:
Signature Radius: 4100 (+1125)

Naglfar:
Signature Radius: 4000 (+1140)

Moros:
Signature Radius: 4300 (+1255)

Phoenix:
Signature Radius: 4200 (+1100)