Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Band of Brothers killed the first titan in EVE?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: The accuracy of our Roleplay - Capsuleers mindset.  (Read 18858 times)

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
Re: The accuracy of our Roleplay - Capsuleers mindset.
« Reply #15 on: 22 Apr 2010, 11:00 »

I'm honestly considering to have my character assume that there is practically no crew on EvE ships, NPC and player ships. There is no verifiable evidence that there is crew, and a lot of evidence that there isn't any crew.
The Chrons "Hands of a Killer" and "All These Lives are Fit to Ruin" explicitly state capsuleer ships are crewed, or the short story thing that explains how the capule eliminates the need for bridge/command crew on a ship which strongly implies non-capsuleer ships are fully crewed.

Let us just say that I consider Chrons, PF and other source just as much an opinion as yours or mine. If my character doesn't notice any crew, they might just as well be not there. In the past our own PF stated that the world was flat, and that the sun revolved around the earth. And woe to those challenging RL PF!

In short, if I don't see evidence for crew, and see evidence for a lack of crew, I might consider playing it like I don't have crew, and in a makebelieve world like EVE, if enough players get convinced there is no crew, there won't be, since large parts of the world do reside just in our imaginations. The only NPC that regularly speaks to me is Scotty the docking manager.

Some things we need to handwave, but I'm just wondering if its not easier to assume few or no crew which should reduce the need for handwaving. I wouldn't want to answer a question like: 'how much do you pay your crew', or 'can you give me a manifest of your officers'

Additionally, the fact that I can build a ship without spending a single isk (except for the blueprint) sort of suggest to me that the crew salaries are definitely not included anywhere.

Of course, I wouldn't want to force my views on anyone and deny their crew as well, so I would probably explain them that I have had my battleships especially slave-rigged to require only a minimal crew.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #16 on: 22 Apr 2010, 11:08 »

As it stands, ship crews (according to TBL) basically just handle cleaning, maintenance, and related lower-order functions, remaining in stasis until needed. But then again, Blood Raiders do harvest the crews of our wrecked ships to such an extent that it's a significant portion of their activity.

For whatever that's worth, anyway. But players who consider official lore as "opinions" may not necessarily play in the same universe as those that consider them IC fact.

Laerise [PIE]

• Definetly not a Khanid !
  • Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums
« Reply #17 on: 22 Apr 2010, 11:10 »

Or we all just to decide to be a bit more flexible and ignorant and regard people whose world view differs from ours as plainly insane :) imo thats the more fun way.

Saxon Hawke

• Omelette
    • Free Intaki
« Reply #18 on: 22 Apr 2010, 11:27 »

Let us just say that I consider Chrons, PF and other source just as much an opinion as yours or mine. If my character doesn't notice any crew, they might just as well be not there.

This is a very dangerous line to walk. I think PF can be interpreted in many different ways, but to simply dismiss it seems unwise as it is the foundation on which all RP is based, the gravity which holds everything together.

Your examples of flat-earth and geo-centric universe theories are good points that accepted wisdom isn't always correct, but I don't think they apply in terms of something like ships' crews. As a capsuleer, you are loaded into you pod which is then implanted into your ship. It's true you never see or interact with the crew, but that doesn't mean that they don't exist.

And if there isn't a crew, then who are all these windows/lights for?
« Last Edit: 22 Apr 2010, 11:59 by Saxon Hawke »

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #19 on: 22 Apr 2010, 11:28 »

Is that a chromed up Dominix?   :eek:

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Saxon Hawke

• Omelette
    • Free Intaki
« Reply #20 on: 22 Apr 2010, 11:30 »

Is that a chromed up Dominix?   :eek:

Xzibit hooked me up. That's how I roll, yo.

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #21 on: 22 Apr 2010, 11:33 »

Yo dawg!  I herd u liek dronez so we put some ogres in ur gardes so u can carebear while u carebear

:brilliant:

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #22 on: 22 Apr 2010, 14:05 »

And, I've often thought that assembling a ship should impose a fee and that all assembled ships should have a residual maintenance cost, like office rent, to cover things like crew salaries and fuel cell replacement/recharging. A repackaged ship, "mothballed" as it were, wouldn't have the fee.

I try not to fly ships that aren't insured. I count the insurance cost as covering crew and maintenance costs.

IRL the running cost for a RL carrier is about 20% of it's buy price per year

That's a bit daft in some ways, but hey, my alt charges me isk to carry stuff for me in her hauler...
Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

Natalcya Katla

• Captain farkin' Cardboard
  • Omelette
« Reply #23 on: 22 Apr 2010, 18:25 »

I imagine that my characters have all switched out the little red crosses on the overview with little orc faces, and that those little orc faces all have tags next to them reading "EVIL". And that makes my characters able to sleep at night, despite the xp value for killing fake orcs in EVE being shitty.
Ava Starfire > There is evil.
Ava Starfire > Outright evil.
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!

Goshien

• Wetgraver
« Reply #24 on: 22 Apr 2010, 20:11 »

My character is something of a transplant. Taking my earthly personality and placing it in the situation that is being an eve pod pilot. Elevated to the position of immortality and given control of a ship life suddenly becomes, lo and behold, one big game. Non-capsuleers would be treated the same way I would think of anybody else who died that I didn't know existed, or was only aware of on an intellectual level. That is to say, when they die, it's a footnote at best and not even a thought at worst.

So when I pop into the character and am loaded onto that ship, the crews are so much distant people. Dying away in someplace, while I'm here enjoying immortality. It's just like in life, a lot of people die every day, do you care about all of them? Or even know about it? Capsuleers who hang around other capsuleers all the time (for the most part) would end up thus. People they don't know about or are only vaugely aware of are dying but the things they care about are other capsuleers, whom don't die.

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #25 on: 22 Apr 2010, 21:31 »

I've always envisioned capsuleers as the 'necessary evil'. They carry with them an aura, or a presence of strength, especially amongst their non-pilot counterparts that either inspires or cringes. Given their perspectives, they would be socially awkward, too used to melding directly with a ship and forgetting some of the etiquette of actually having to physically do things than simply think and achieve instant gratification. In that sense I would see them already losing their attachment with reality, becoming increasingly impatient with having to 'waste time with such formalities'.

Personally, I see players living it up on planets and having normal lives/families is a bit of a stretch. Something in prime fiction that has always stuck with me is that due to physical adjustments required to be pilots, capsuleers are much more susceptible to infections and viruses, so trolling around bars and nightclubs a bit immersion-breaking for me these days. And yes, I'm one of those people that encouraged/engaged in it way too often myself.

But, you know, I'm one of those people that likes dark, gritty science fiction.  :o

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #26 on: 22 Apr 2010, 21:34 »

Given their perspectives, they would be socially awkward, too used to melding directly with a ship and forgetting some of the etiquette of actually having to physically do things than simply think and achieve instant gratification. In that sense I would see them already losing their attachment with reality, becoming increasingly impatient with having to 'waste time with such formalities'.

So... yeah, like gamers? :)

Ciarente

• Owner of the thickest rose-colored glasses in the Cluster
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #27 on: 22 Apr 2010, 21:35 »

Something in prime fiction that has always stuck with me is that due to physical adjustments required to be pilots, capsuleers are much more susceptible to infections and viruses

Now that I either never knew or forgot about it. If you have a link, I'll pop it in the 'did you know?'
Silver Night > I feel like we should keep Cia in reserve. A little bit for Cia's sanity, but mostly because her putting on her mod hat is like calling in Rommel to deal with a paintball game.

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #28 on: 22 Apr 2010, 21:39 »

Personally, I see players living it up on planets and having normal lives/families is a bit of a stretch. Something in prime fiction that has always stuck with me is that due to physical adjustments required to be pilots, capsuleers are much more susceptible to infections and viruses,

They are? (Serious question). Where can I find more about this? Cos that could affect Ulf quite a lot.

Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

Misan

• Shady Thukker & Ninja Admin
  • Pod Captain
    • Serious Thukking Business - Blog
« Reply #29 on: 22 Apr 2010, 22:40 »

There are references to it in the Booster article, but that's more supporting why Boosters don't affect capsuleers while in pod too negatively. I didn't see any suggestions there that pointed to having a weak immune system in general. That is something I would find a bit odd, especially considering the presence of nano-machines and implants in the setting. Though maybe I'm taking too many cues from a book I read recently, Infoquake?. As nano-machines were used there to regulate pretty much all bodily systems.
EVE Blog and Project Status: on hold -- busy being Thukker-esque IRL.
Twitter
What I'm busy with, if you're curious.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6