Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That capsuleers frequently communicate by means of dataprojectors? (The Burning Life, p 30)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: SWTOR's genius guild search.  (Read 3567 times)

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
Re: SWTOR's genius guild search.
« Reply #15 on: 09 Apr 2011, 22:14 »

Funny, their crafting design is the main thing turning me off about the game.

Amann Karris

« Reply #16 on: 10 Apr 2011, 08:04 »

Funny, their crafting design is the main thing turning me off about the game.
It's an interesting concept, but I understand the main concerns coming from a game like EVE, and I know you played SWG as well.

The way I see it is more like a single player RPG crafting mechanic, expanded to an MMO.  In KOTOR, you could craft an item yourself with your own skills or use your NPC allies to craft.  It worked pretty well, especially playing a warrior type where you had to really consider which skills to focus on.

I think the crafting/harvesting mechanics in SWTOR really liberate a character to focus on playing the "role" it was meant for.  On the other hand I do hope they include an option for the PC to do the crafting, because it's something I enjoy myself.  I play Star Trek Online (two maxed Federation characters) and crafting/harvesting is one of the things I've mastered at the end game.  Star Trek Online is going to implement a similar mechanic as SWTOR (probably to try and stay competitive with it's most likely major competitor) and hopefully it meshes properly.

Anyways, I'm going to work on some background and fluff for my guild this week (schedule permitting).
« Last Edit: 10 Apr 2011, 08:18 by Amann Karris »

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #17 on: 10 Apr 2011, 08:19 »

It's not that I mind the option for, say, a trooper to have somebody else do his crafting for him.

But I dislike having the option to fiddle with all the stuff myself. If it turns out that having the companions do it all is only one way and PCs can still craft directly.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #18 on: 11 Apr 2011, 05:32 »

Honestly their crafting system concept is one of the only things that got my attention in swtor. It looks interesting (and quasi passive, anti farm !).

The rest looks like wow-crap to me, consisting mainly to put characters (with little customization) in boxes with etiquettes everywhere. Whatever could be opposed to realism and coherence (thus roleplay), they take it and put it in their game.

NB : btw I am a starwars EU bible and a bitter original trilogy fan, having played to broken SWG too.
« Last Edit: 11 Apr 2011, 05:35 by Lyn Farel »

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #19 on: 11 Apr 2011, 05:58 »

I figure SWTOR will be, for me, an adventure game I play with RL friends from time to time. "Hey, this Friday after work, we're going to play some SWTOR guys. See if you can log in for a couple of hours and we'll finish that next leg of the storyline," or summat.

Unlike EVE, it's a game we'll play rather than a world we live.

Amann Karris

« Reply #20 on: 11 Apr 2011, 06:34 »

Unlike EVE, it's a game we'll play rather than a world we live.
This is pretty much my take on it.  It's why I play Star Trek Online.  :)

Lyn Farel

« Reply #21 on: 11 Apr 2011, 12:33 »

My take on it too.
Pages: 1 [2]