Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The last time someone attacked the Jovians, it was the Amarr, at Vak'atioth, and the Amarr fleet was crushed?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: War... huh, what is it good for?  (Read 10996 times)

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
War... huh, what is it good for?
« on: 27 Dec 2010, 12:24 »

I thought this particular IGS post might be worth a 120+ days Necroposting. (Then I realized I necro'd the entirely wrong thread, but that's a whole different facepalm issue.)

Basically, we've chased off a fellow from the RP community. How? Well, someone made a few... ambiguous statements in a thread of his that could be construed as an incoming wardec or possibly just a Red status. After reading the thread, I've also heard of others being threatened with petitions (for Harassment I assume) if they wardec him/his corp as a result of his Sansha Incursion activities.

Apparently a wardec or other in-space consequences for RP standpoints doesn't hit the spot for some players.

The reason I'm necroing this thread (attempted to, but failed miserably) is quite simply because I'm curious to see if things have changed in the time-period between the OP and the time of writing this post. Are in-space consequences for RP still in fashion or is it something that's frowned upon?

Give us your opinions on the matter, people. It'll be interesting to see if things have changed.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
Re: War... huh, what is it good for?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Dec 2010, 12:33 »

I read that thread, couldn't figure out what was going on, went v0v
\o/

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #2 on: 27 Dec 2010, 12:34 »

I largely believe it's people who aren't familiar with the concept of war decs being started over purely moral based reasoning.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #3 on: 27 Dec 2010, 12:36 »

Guy's probably a little on the younger side.

As for a wardec, sometimes I see it as a little pointless. If Seriphyn wanted to make a dent against Sansha's Nation, ratting in Stain, taking anti-Sansha missions and running Sansha plexes will do FAR more good, fiction-wise, than inconsequentially blowing up True Slave Foundations pilots. Unless your intention was to disrupt the operations of a certain group of capsuleers, such as mining in a system you don't want them to.

In the end, one of the biggest reasons the capsuleers are so important to the empires with their borders is because of PvE, not the fact that they blow each other up.

Borza

• Kuru Khai
  • Omelette
  • We come for our people
« Reply #4 on: 27 Dec 2010, 13:28 »

OTOH PvE is shit and pointless. And one can make the argument that capsuleer loyalists are a far bigger asset to a faction than almost any number of [NPC] standard ships.

Kazzzi

• Egger
« Reply #5 on: 27 Dec 2010, 13:40 »

But an enemy capsuleer can kill lots of your own faction's npcs. So shouldn't we as capsuleers, the only people who can really slow down another capsuleer, focus more on enemy capsuleers?

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
« Reply #6 on: 27 Dec 2010, 14:07 »

I totally had no clue what that was about. Then again, haven't read the earlier thread(s)...

People have different expectation from RP. And many of us like to spin our story as we like it, and sometimes war isn't included in that picture.

However, it seems that some parties might be more trigger happy than others. I can't say I've ever caused a war dec myself, and I would think I'd be plenty abrasive to some people.

Borza

• Kuru Khai
  • Omelette
  • We come for our people
« Reply #7 on: 27 Dec 2010, 14:36 »

People tend not to bother wardeccing 2-man corps Merdaneth... Not worth the isk.

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
« Reply #8 on: 27 Dec 2010, 14:44 »

People tend not to bother wardeccing 2-man corps Merdaneth... Not worth the isk.

Thought we were talking war-decs for RP reasons here. In that case the odd 2mil or so to dec a corp is nothing, right?

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #9 on: 27 Dec 2010, 14:46 »

Wait, somebody is leaving something because of wardecs?

That sounds like a victory for his opponents.

I'm sorry that whoever this is really feels hurt, but this is EVE. Non-consensual PVP happens, and people may shoot you for any reason or no reason. That includes RP, ISK, or lulz.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #10 on: 27 Dec 2010, 14:46 »

But an enemy capsuleer can kill lots of your own faction's npcs. So shouldn't we as capsuleers, the only people who can really slow down another capsuleer, focus more on enemy capsuleers?

Hm, yeah, this could work also.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #11 on: 27 Dec 2010, 14:55 »

Wait, somebody is leaving something because of wardecs?

That sounds like a victory for his opponents.

I'm sorry that whoever this is really feels hurt, but this is EVE. Non-consensual PVP happens, and people may shoot you for any reason or no reason. That includes RP, ISK, or lulz.
It's EVE.  RP, pewpew, trading... none of it is consensual and we've all had our party shat on at one time or another.  (I once lost ~700m ISK in a suicide gank because I was being a dumb newb.)  You either HTFU or GTFO. 

This individual has opted for Option 2.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #12 on: 27 Dec 2010, 15:10 »

with game mechanics as they are, there are a number of things.

Fixed, in-space assets - POS and stations, are things that wars actively threaten.
Mining is the only activity that can be really shut down by a war.

The rest of the time, then there are so many things that come into play, that a war can be rather pointless.

3rd party covops, 3rd party Guardians, 3rd party logistics and income. Alts, 2nd accounts, whatever. Intel, money, material is provided without any real payment, because who pays their alts?

E.g. Corp A has ships and isk provided by unknown Corp X. What would anyone have to gain by declaring against them?

With so many things to avoid consequences for those that know how to use them, then it means the opponents have to want to fight, have a reason to, inorder for there to be a war, instead of lots of evasion.

Unless they don't know all the means of evasion, in which case it's a war against the less competent, which could be a turkeyshoot rather than a war.

So... v0v.

Wars are good at being able to clear out POS that you don't want to be there, and against less skilled/crafty players. Against anyone/anything else, it could be an exercise in frustration and pointlessness. Who gets bored first, loses :\
\o/

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #13 on: 27 Dec 2010, 15:12 »

I don't understand this. Its happened twice in my time on EVE, or at least twice that I've seen, and its been the same thing both times...

Someone jumps on the IGS, says something they ought not say, someone else takes offense ICly, and take military action. The response of the offender is always the same; they freak out, and seem to not understand how someone could ever dare to wardec a fellow RPer.

I don't know why RPers think they're exempt from responsibility from their actions... like, somehow, saying what you've done was "RP" is a magic phrase like "social experiment" that erases your transgressions and makes you immune to repercussions.

When you talk on IGS, people listen. They might not respond, they might not like what you say, but your words are sitting there for quite a long time, being observed by other sets of eyes.

Shockingly enough, theres an

IN GAME MECHANIC

Which allows anyone, anywhere to take sanctioned military action against you and your corp, as long as they can afford the wardec costs. So lets put the pieces of the puzzle together; someone with more funds and resources than you, has the opportunity to, at any time, fundamentally change your gameplay based on what you said on IGS. I'm not saying its the answer to everyone's problems. I'm just saying, I take no pity on people that basically ask for a wardec, let alone when those people are devastated to discover that other RPers won't excuse their actions on the grounds that its RP.

Actually, thats the reason you're getting wardec'd.
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Kazzzi

• Egger
« Reply #14 on: 27 Dec 2010, 15:23 »

Jesmine is my new hero btw
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5