Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

In YC110 Mixed Metaphor corporation declared war to stop distribution of the NHB Ultra Happy Chip™? It didn't work out.

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: CSM Pre-election open!  (Read 2668 times)

Lyn Farel

Re: CSM Pre-election open!
« Reply #30 on: 07 Apr 2013, 15:47 »

So they decided to spent another few millions to develop another new engine of their own ?  :psyccp:

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
-OOChé

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #32 on: 08 Apr 2013, 08:32 »

Mike Azariah(sp) is also an RPer, although a rather low key one. And I believe Malcanis supports incarna development.

As RPers go, Azariah is pretty freaking awesome, he just doesn't bother to attract a lot of attention. He also runs one of the more entertaining and thoughtful blogs, although it doesn't fit the usual mould of an EVE blog. If I were still subbed, he'd get all my votes.

http://mikeazariah.wordpress.com/

Edit: another, more shameless plug.
« Last Edit: 08 Apr 2013, 08:36 by Victoria Stecker »

DeadRow

• Bit of a Dick
  • Omelette
  • Loyal to herself
« Reply #33 on: 09 Apr 2013, 07:04 »

Voted for the few I know and I like then randomly selected the rest D:

[12:40:50] Kasuko Merin > He has this incredible talent for making posts at people that could be <i>literally</i> quoted straight back at him and still apply.

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
« Reply #34 on: 09 Apr 2013, 16:08 »

My ballot so far:
  • Roc Wieler
  • Malcanis
  • Mike Azariah
Thanks for the suggestions.
-OOChé

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #35 on: 09 Apr 2013, 23:49 »

According to the news linked in this eve-o post (and not refuted by CCP) World of Darkness no longer uses the Carbon engine. I am guessing poor performance with handling multiple avatars as one of the major reasons. Further, that so called "prototype" that CCP presented appears in no way feasible with the current Carbon character engine, so if they are determined to take that path, a new engine is required.

Personally, I think the prototype is a piece of hogwash and just an excuse to not bother with WiS. I cannot comprehend how instanced arena battles in anyway resemble PvP combat normally found in Eve. Also, I am convinced people will still try to ignore the combat element of these instanced arenas and instead use them for other kind of social interaction. Social interaction* is an element that CCP is vastly underestimating the potential gain from.

*: By social interaction I mean something else than jerks trying to cause each other grief.

ADD: Mr. Kidd from Center for Advanced Studies appears to have come to the same conclusion as me.
Uh, Carbon is the back end stuff, like databases and connections between nodes and clients. Not sure how you'd want to use a database server to render avatars. I am not aware what the engine drawing avatars is even called, but the rest of the graphics engine is still mostly based on an evolution version of Trinity II as far as I am aware. As for functionality, the walking in closets engine feels very, very clunky - CCP probably wants something that looks and feels a lot more smooth movement wise, even outside of choreographed tech demos.

Bacchanalian

• Omelette
« Reply #36 on: 10 Apr 2013, 00:20 »

Ripard Teg, Malcanis, don't give a fuck about the rest.
Pages: 1 2 [3]