Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The 'Crystal Boulevard' of Caille is both a high end shopping center and a vast shield of manufactured diamond for bunkers underneath?

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: December 2012: CSM Minutes  (Read 1974 times)

Lyn Farel

Re: December 2012: CSM Minutes
« Reply #15 on: 17 Jan 2013, 14:04 »

CSM should be reminded why they are elected.

To give feedback, like a game tester gives feedback to a company about their games (because they do not obviously have thousands of monkeys to test it constantly).

Not to do the job of the gamedesigners themselves, where they obviously do not know a bit about gamedesign.

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #16 on: 17 Jan 2013, 15:25 »

I think this statement "Unifex reminded the CSM once again that this group, the lurking single players who are already
subscribed, are the majority of characters on Tranquility" should written on a paper and put in front of every CSM member as a constant reminder.

It is a bit bad that the majority group will never have a representation in the CSM, but such is the nature of the beast. :| Though, I could be without the constant snarking remarks from both CSM members and CCP that this group isdoingitwrong.
« Last Edit: 17 Jan 2013, 15:28 by Myyona »
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #17 on: 17 Jan 2013, 15:27 »

The majority group, in this case, is the unengaged group.  By and large they are "lurkers" because they do not want to play this game with other people, in which case I really question the idea that CCP should be catering this multiplayer game to them.  They lack representation on the CSM because they do not vote for the CSM, and when they do, they do not do it in an organized fashion, because they are disengaged.
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #18 on: 17 Jan 2013, 15:38 »

Yes, it is rather obvious why they cannot have representation in the CSM. At least Unifex acknowledge they exist, and CCP financial department probably do too, so they will not be completely ignored.

I refuse to acknowledge that a certain level of socialization or interaction with other players are required before you "matter" in the EVE Universe; anybody who has ever logged in has participated in the shared game in my book.

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #19 on: 17 Jan 2013, 15:41 »

It certainly matters as to whether you can have a voice on the CSM or not, and it also matters in that people who are not engaged are likely to continue to play (or not) regardless of features, until you touch the one or two things they are doing.

Also, if your only interaction with the wider community of EVE is to buy your Caldari Navy Raven, fittings, and ammo, and then do missions for the rest of your life, your impact is so minimal as to be non-existent.
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #20 on: 17 Jan 2013, 16:04 »

Also, if your only interaction with the wider community of EVE is to buy your Caldari Navy Raven, fittings, and ammo, and then do missions for the rest of your life, your impact is so minimal as to be non-existent.
Impact of the individual should not be a measure if CCP should allocate resources to support/improve a certain play style. Especially as the single individual might have a low impact but accumulated it matters greatly for everybody (ex. the ISK inflation).

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #21 on: 17 Jan 2013, 16:08 »

Yes, it is rather obvious why they cannot have representation in the CSM. At least Unifex acknowledge they exist, and CCP financial department probably do too, so they will not be completely ignored.

I refuse to acknowledge that a certain level of socialization or interaction with other players are required before you "matter" in the EVE Universe; anybody who has ever logged in has participated in the shared game in my book.

You have to remember. As a game, eve absolutely bites. It has a terrible UI, lackluster mechanics, horrible player direction, and overall would probably be the most unfun RPG on the planet if it existed as an RPG. What makes EVE Good isn't the game, its the players, its the community, its the crazy emergent gameplay that comes along when people do something unexpected. If the height of your EVE career is to sit and mine rocks and not interact with anyone, then why don't you just go play farmville or Sim City or something that provides deeper gameplay for the same level of action? EVE is a game about interacting with people and those players who chose not to interact aren't going to matter when it comes right down to it.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #22 on: 17 Jan 2013, 16:20 »

Miners who get suicide ganked do also interact...

What I am opposing against is the (sadly) common sentiment that the miner chewing rocks is somehow less worth/important than the suicide ganker. If somebody wants to pay for a subscription and spend his time mining, then by all means let him do that. And there is no reason why his field of gameplay should be neglected for any other, especially not when there is many miners like him around.

This is what I like about the new stance of CCP; they appear to want to evaluate features on how much value they have for all players and not just the subsection the feature is aimed at. Of course, not all players carry the same weight, but at least they are being taken into consideration.

Btw. here is a story: I once mined ore deep within the Amarr FW zone. I turned all that ore into a wide range of frigates, destroyers, weaponry and ammunition in an location that otherwise was devoid of stock and sold plentiful. A one point I stopped because... mining is boring. I might not have chatted or socialized with many (if any) during my time there, but one could speculate on the impact of my actions. Maybe the Amarr militia would have been doing better if mining was not so boring. :)
« Last Edit: 17 Jan 2013, 16:32 by Myyona »
Pages: 1 [2]