Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Electus Matari lost over 400 members at the start of its war with PIE Inc?

Author Topic: Cultural infopacks for everyone!  (Read 1216 times)

Kunarian

• Clonejack
Cultural infopacks for everyone!
« on: 28 Oct 2013, 10:02 »

I may be bringing this over late but I was wondering how many people have read this very brilliant post:

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=3762281#post3762281

It got me thinking (or has had me thinking for a long time) and now I've decided to bring this thinking here. I was just thinking how fun/interesting it would be to do this for other races but in more of an overview than in relation to current politics. My interests are more around building a Caldari version, especially since I'm building a character who has spent a good deal of time being a base-liner. The first few paragraphs interest me most as it trails off into Minmatar/Federation happy funtimes.

I think it is actually written by Seriphyn from this forum however I don't know but the coicidence seems too strong and maybe I'm just behind on the times and this has already been discussed but I'm sure I'm going in a different direction.

It would seem that the things he has covered here go in order like so:

First Paragraph
  • Most prevalent career path (male)
  • Average age of denizen
  • Common planetary political situation - including governance, population and where this planet is (most populous region?)
  • Average family size
  • Attitude and prospects of eldest child and youngest child
  • Spousal traits (Most prevalent female career path, relationship situation)
  • Most common location for a home and what that location entails

Second Paragraph
  • Perception of local politics
  • Individual involvement in local politics
  • Media avaliable about local politics
  • Individual interest in planetary politics

Third Paragraph
  • Common social activity
  • Planetary biodiversity

Fourth Paragraph
  • Media exposure to the interstellar government
  • Personal exposure to the interstellar government
  • Exsposure to instellar government policy
  • Reactions to instellar government policy
  • Major local political figure and common personal opinions of said figure
  • Views on the instellar culture compared to local culture

Now if we can take this all and group it better and add in some extra things that are interesting we could create a base from which we could create interesting insights into the lives of base-liners from across the cluster.

What I expect to see, in comparison to the post about the Gallente, concerning the Caldari is that they are:

Younger on average, with tiny families that live in small flat like homes in massive cities on densely populated planets. Not to care much about local politics beyond economic factors and to get all their news from the megacorp to which they belong. Enjoy gambling and betting on sports and to see very little of their planet beyond their home, work and local bookmakers. Constantly informed about the successes of their megacorp and enjoy watching the exploits of their corresponding security firm on tv, see the actions of the megacorp around them daily, hear about megacorp policy at work and react swiftly and accordingly, the executive of the subsidiary corp they belong too would not be seen too much and they would respect and admire him for his abilities and they would also consider themselves Caldari and think the notion of a local culture alien.

Realistically though the differences between the megacorps are so that we could reasonably do one of these for each megacorp. I being one who loves tiny differences and comparison of data both qualitative and quantative would be happy enough to do this all on my own but like any good Caldari lover I'm a sucker for groups. So feel free to join in!

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
Re: Cultural infopacks for everyone!
« Reply #1 on: 28 Oct 2013, 11:21 »

would be nice to have a broad profile of these per soverign nation, including minor ones (ammatar, syndicate, etc).

Kunarian

• Clonejack
« Reply #2 on: 29 Oct 2013, 05:32 »

Well I'm going to start by making a list of things that it'd be interesting to demonstrate in each infopack taking inspiration from the original list.

Things to demonstrate, sorted into related areas:

Employment
  • Education (style, common paths, qualifications)
  • Career path (male and female)
  • Job factors (working hours, pay, benefits, satisfaction)
  • Welfare (prevalence, for whom, from whom)
  • Pension scheme (care for those who've finished working, prevalence, eligibility)
  • Unemployment (prevalence, opinion)

Household
  • Size of home
  • Ownership status (fully owned, with mortgage, tenant renting)

Family
  • Size of family
  • Spousal relationship status (feelings and legal status)
  • Attitude and prospects of eldest and youngest child
  • Raising children (method)

Health
  • Age of denizen
  • Self-consideration of health (viewing oneself as healthy or not)
  • Illness
  • Disability
  • Casual drug use (prevalence, type, age of use)
  • Alcohol (prevalence, type, age of use)

Consumerism (durable goods, non-durable goods)
  • Communication good (access to, common type owned) - e.g. telephones, mobiles
  • Media good (access to, common type owned) - e.g. television, newspapers
  • Technology good (access to, common type owned) - e.g. home computer
  • Transport good (access to, common type owned) - e.g. car or van
  • Food goods (access to, common used, staple foods, luxurious foods (includes drinks))
  • Clothing goods (access to, common used)

Local and Global Politics
  • Planetary political situation (governance, population, what region)
  • Perception of local/global politics
  • Individual involvement/interest in local/global politics
  • Media avaliable about local/global politics
  • Major local figure and opinion of

Interstellar Politics
  • Media exposure to interstellar government
  • Personal exposure to interstellar government
  • Exposure to interstellar government policy
  • Reactions to interstellar government policy
  • Major interstellar figure and opinion of

Culture
  • Social activity (prevalence, type)
  • Local crime (prevalence, type, police reaction)
  • Opinion of culture local/global to interstellar (which they relate to)
  • Religion (prevalence, type, opinion)
  • Other cultures (opinion, immigration)

Services
  • Water (access to, in what form)
  • Electricity (access to, in what form)
  • Gas (access to, in what form)
  • Fuel (access to, in what form)
  • Sewage (access to, in what form)

There we go, seems like a reasonable list. :L

would be nice to have a broad profile of these per soverign nation, including minor ones (ammatar, syndicate, etc).

Well if you can formulate a list it'll make things quicker as I'm not too familiar with minor sovereign nations beyond Khanid, Ammatar and such. I must say I'm tempted to do this extensively, maybe even one for each gallente political alignment

Kunarian

• Clonejack
« Reply #3 on: 29 Oct 2013, 09:06 »

Organising into paragraphs:

Paragraph 1
  • Career path (male)
  • Age of denizen
  • Planetary political situation
  • Spousal relationship status
  • Career path (female)
  • Size of family
  • Raising children
  • Education
  • Attitude and prospects of eldest and youngest child

Paragraph 2
  • Size of home
  • Ownership status
  • Water
  • Electricity
  • Gas
  • Fuel
  • Sewage

Paragraph 3
  • Transport good
  • Job factors
  • Pension scheme
  • Unemployment
  • Welfare
  • Technology good
  • Communication good
  • Social activity
  • Clothing goods

Paragraph 4
  • Self-consideration of health
  • Illness
  • Disability
  • Casual drug use
  • Alcohol
  • Food goods

Paragraph 5
  • Media good
  • Media avaliable about local/global politics
  • Local crime
  • Major local/global figure
  • Perception of local/global politics
  • Individual involvement/interest in local/global politics
  • Opinion of culture local/global to interstellar
  • Religion
  • Other cultures

Paragraph 6
  • Media exposure to interstellar government
  • Personal exposure to interstellar government
  • Major interstellar figure
  • Exposure to interstellar government policy
  • Reaction to interstellar government policy

I think this covers everything. I might try doing one for a Caldari megacorp citizen later but this at least makes it into a more natural and comparable structure.

Kunarian

• Clonejack
« Reply #4 on: 29 Oct 2013, 18:18 »

Sukuuvestaa Corporation Infopack

I am an industrial engineer in my early fifties living on a temperate planet, owned largely by Sukuuvestaa, of a population of several billion in the Okomon constellation. I'm married to my spouse who is civire like myself, she is a teacher at a local school and takes great effort in disciplining our only child. Despite this they are largely raised with other civire children at a child care centre provided for by the corporation. When they are of age for proper education, I expect them to take after me or their mother in their courses. They are a bit rebellious at the moment but they'll soon calm down with proper instruction and I expect them to bring us honour by performing their duties well.

We live in a small flat, provided freely for us by the corporation, in one of the many huge high rise skyscrapers that overlooks the city. In the skyscraper there are various services available including stores, banks and entertainment facilities most of which I tend to use on a daily basis. Basic utilities like water, electricity, gas, fuel and sewage are all provided for by the corporation along with our accommodation.

I use public transport to get to and from work and don't own any vehicles of my own as I have no need of them, those who do own them normally are technicians or executives who have to have that personal transport for the demands of their job. As an industrial engineer I work long hours at the nearest Sukuuvestaa industrial plant, I am paid enough scrip to easily sustain myself and have some spare for social acitivites and find the work very satisfying. With my employment to the corporation comes many things, my home, all the utilities I use, healthcare, my childs education and other things even I do not know about.

I also put some of my pay into a retirement fund that I have with Caldari Funds Unlimited, in fact everyone I know has a similar arrangement as employment is the only thing required to be eligible for one. I have no plans to retire in the future but having a reward for my work when I can no longer fulfil my duties gives me comfort. Despite the general stability of the work and benefits some still cannot rise to the challenge, I don't think much of those who are too lazy to do even the most basic labour.

With what I earn I also purchase various items that help keep my day to day life going. I have a personal computer which I often use to catch up on work or to perform financial housekeeping tasks although beyond this I don't use it much. We also have a general comms device which can be useful for keeping in touch with work, colleagues and realtives, I also use it to organise outings with friends. When we go out we normally go to a bookmakers and wager scrip on the managery of different events going on, gladitorial events are the most commonly avaliable. On outings I normally wear what I would wear any other day, a uniform with a jacket for warmth, most people I know are the same.

I consider myself to be quite healthy, most people do not get ill or sustain a dehabilitating injury thanks to the corporate healthcare readily provided. Those who sustain physical disabilities can normally overcome them with various treatments and technologies however those who sustain mental disabilities are less treatable and normally result in early retirement. Those born with such disabilities can survive through treatment on the back of their parents employment or their scrip.

There are very few legal highs on the market and there is also little alcohol in stores, these items are generally considered to be both detremental to health and productivity but there are rumours of a underground drugs organisation in the area. However there is a wide selection of foodstuffs, by and large you can buy traditional and modern caldari foods and there is also a small section of staples from other parts of the galaxy. There isn't what you'd call luxury food, it isn't very right to lavish on consumables and generally speaking all the food is of good quality. There is also a selection of beverages avalible but the section I'm most interested in would be that containing tea, from which I buy often.

P5

P6

----

I may have taken some liberties here but help me make it a bit more canon if you can. I imagined that the manufacturing focus of the Sukuuvesta would lead to Civire being more common (if only slightly) than Deteis which is why the couple and family are so. Also due to the mentioned cultural differences between the Deteis and Civire it makes sense to raise them in different environs.

EDIT: Okay paragraph 3 went on for a bit.
« Last Edit: 30 Oct 2013, 09:24 by Kunarian »

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #5 on: 30 Oct 2013, 02:05 »

Ask Graelyn about CCP and fanmade worldbuilding and how it turns out.

Odelya

« Reply #6 on: 30 Oct 2013, 02:10 »

How does it turn out?

Kunarian

• Clonejack
« Reply #7 on: 30 Oct 2013, 02:28 »

I'm not really world building, more of contextualising and using poetic license where there is no fluff.

Desiderya

« Reply #8 on: 30 Oct 2013, 03:23 »

Or as we call it, Operation Whitewash.  :lol:

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
« Reply #9 on: 06 Nov 2013, 03:21 »

How does it turn out?

Everyone dies except for one virginal girl who shows up in the sequel.
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events