Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That docked frigates are hooked in with massive electromagnetic anchors? (The Burning Life p. 75)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Motivations  (Read 2735 times)

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
Motivations
« on: 27 Mar 2011, 09:27 »

So I'm realizing a major issue in my RP is that my character (much like me in real life) is horrendously unmotivated to do anything. Everything she's been doing has basically been because she enjoys it, for the hell of it, which while providing a rather interesting character dynamic, is not one that really leads to interesting RP. I've realized that in order to have more fun in the RP, I need to give her motivations and drive to do things she would normally be disinclined to do.

Which brings me to the question:
What are your character's motivations? Why do they get up in the morning and do whatever it is they do? What drives them forward in the story? What is it that makes them willing to commit genocide on a daily basis?
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Lyn Farel

Re: Motivations
« Reply #1 on: 27 Mar 2011, 09:33 »

Interesting.

Well, without entering in the details of her RP motivations, Lyn is always deeply curious about almost everything (like a bookworm cliché). And more than that she has always acted with ideals in mind : science on one hand, and heideran/concord ideology on another (thus, peace). It keeps her fighting for a purpose and decides of a line of action and policies/behavior for the latter, while her curiosity can help me ooc to make her speak with a lot of people or at least avoid that my RP ends in stagnation without nothing new.

Bong-cha Jones

• New Jin Mei
  • Egger
« Reply #2 on: 27 Mar 2011, 09:37 »

Get rich.  Meet interesting people.  Keep the Intaki in the Federation.  Protect his people.
Formerly Simon Coal.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #3 on: 27 Mar 2011, 12:54 »

You might enjoy the Storyboard column on Massively, specifically the biweekly articles on archetypes.

Valdezi

• Pod Captain
    • Stories by me
« Reply #4 on: 27 Mar 2011, 13:19 »

Protect the Intaki, Become an Idama, Destroy the Serpentis, Romance a fine lady.

Laerise [PIE]

• Definetly not a Khanid !
  • Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums
« Reply #5 on: 27 Mar 2011, 13:24 »

Faith and family.

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #6 on: 27 Mar 2011, 14:48 »

Aodha Khan

« Reply #7 on: 28 Mar 2011, 08:42 »

Big explosions.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #8 on: 01 Apr 2011, 14:46 »

Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #9 on: 01 Apr 2011, 16:09 »

Glad to be of service.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #10 on: 01 Apr 2011, 21:36 »

Miz: The desire to end slavery. First of her own people, then that of others. On an extremely close second is the desire for vengeance. To burn the Empire down around the 'faithful' who allowed this to happen in the first place. Why? Well... a former slave herself, she's seen the result of indoctrination and oppression first-hand, along with the erasing of a cultural identity she can feel in her blood but not truly know after the upbringing. She knows the horrors of the Empire and thus is compelled to end it, by any means necessary.

Katashi: Finding a purpose. He doesn't really have one, and it's eating away at him. He makes jokes about Electronic Engineers being 'his people' and that his place and purpose in the world is to be the cigar smoking crooked smile wearing fellow who gets the nutshots and girders to the back of the head. And perpetually blueballed, for that matter. But beneath the surface, there's a hunger for purpose and a position in the world.

I've got a few others, but they're not really someone I've put a deep drive behind.

Vieve

« Reply #11 on: 02 Apr 2011, 03:34 »

In a word: necessity.  The criteria for 'what is necessary' of course varies wildly between characters. At one extreme, Celeste has her List of What Must Be Corrected.  At the other, Vieve has to make dinner for Jake every night (he makes breakfast every morning). 

Cmdr Baxter

• "The Old Man"
  • Egger
    • The Synenose Accord
« Reply #12 on: 06 Apr 2011, 23:15 »

CMDR Baxter provides something of a counterpoint to the OP - instead of doing everything for the hell of it, he does everything because he feels an obligation to - which is a conclusion I guess I've been gravitating (slowly) towards for the last few weeks. Duty, honor, service may be great ideals but they do not make for great RP. I'm going to have to look in more depth at Greyson's link and see what I can brainstorm for Baxter. Thanks for posting this thread. 8)
« Last Edit: 06 Apr 2011, 23:27 by Cmdr Baxter »

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #13 on: 07 Apr 2011, 05:23 »

Graelyn used to have motivations: Reforming the Empire while keeping it safe, forging a path to eventual peace with the Matari, that sort of thing.

Then the Elders attacked and Sarum came to power. Now he just gets drunk a lot while killing Minmatar.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #14 on: 07 Apr 2011, 10:03 »

Kal doesn't have any, which is why I'm not playing at the moment. :P
Pages: [1] 2