Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Ammatars regard themselves as the true rulers of the Minmatars? Read more here.

Author Topic: Soldier's Valor (Arena RP)  (Read 730 times)

Avio Yaken

• .________________________________________.
  • Egger
Soldier's Valor (Arena RP)
« on: 03 Jun 2013, 15:55 »

so after i red all the positive responses from my post about this idea i decided to get to work on making it a thing

the poll is to see what contestants would work better, because i got some mixed responses

another thing

channels will be broken up into 3

lobby (spectators & sometimes a contestant's chat)
locker room (contestant's chat)
Arena (mostly contestant's chat but spectators can cheer & hold conversation in the stands)

this is to be sure text isent mixed around in one giant confusion

anything anyone has a thought about this & care to share?

Laria Raven

• Evil. In a dappy way. Kind of dappy-evil.
  • Wetgraver
    • All Alone In The Night
Re: Soldier's Valor (Arena RP)
« Reply #1 on: 04 Jun 2013, 05:54 »

So, I have some experience at running this kind of thing.

The number one thing you have to worry about is time. If you have people posing each blow, it will take forever to run. What I'd suggest you do is determine the result of each fight before it happens, and then get the participants to pose three or four poses each, perhaps one for "the buildup", one for "early stages", one for "later stages" and one for "aftermath".

Your multi-channel setup seems good, I'd have one for OOCly sorting out mechanics for you and the participants.

As to how you'd determine results - get the opponents to describe their character and skills, if they can agree who wins between them, good, if not, make a judgement (a score out of 10, say) of the likelihood of which of them being a victor - so, for example, you say 4/10 for participant A, 6/10 for participant B (they should add up to 10) and then roll a D10 - 1-4, A wins, 6-10 B wins. 4 vs 6 is pretty close, so you'd probably have a good fight. 2 vs 8, then if 2 wins its a lucky shot, otherwise it's a fairly straightforward victory.

That's how I'd run it anyway. You have to keep it moving or it's going to take hours and hours and hours. I'd expect it to go 4 hours anyway, assuming you get a reasonable number of participants.

Saede Riordan > Yeah and Leopold is the human pond scum. Laria's alright...ish.

Avio Yaken

• .________________________________________.
  • Egger
« Reply #2 on: 04 Jun 2013, 17:13 »

So, I have some experience at running this kind of thing.

The number one thing you have to worry about is time. If you have people posing each blow, it will take forever to run. What I'd suggest you do is determine the result of each fight before it happens, and then get the participants to pose three or four poses each, perhaps one for "the buildup", one for "early stages", one for "later stages" and one for "aftermath".

Your multi-channel setup seems good, I'd have one for OOCly sorting out mechanics for you and the participants.

As to how you'd determine results - get the opponents to describe their character and skills, if they can agree who wins between them, good, if not, make a judgement (a score out of 10, say) of the likelihood of which of them being a victor - so, for example, you say 4/10 for participant A, 6/10 for participant B (they should add up to 10) and then roll a D10 - 1-4, A wins, 6-10 B wins. 4 vs 6 is pretty close, so you'd probably have a good fight. 2 vs 8, then if 2 wins its a lucky shot, otherwise it's a fairly straightforward victory.

That's how I'd run it anyway. You have to keep it moving or it's going to take hours and hours and hours. I'd expect it to go 4 hours anyway, assuming you get a reasonable number of participants.
great stuff! thanks friend! :-)

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
« Reply #3 on: 04 Jun 2013, 17:13 »

I voted for capsuleers, mainly because I think New Eden would love to see those demi-gods beaten to a pulp. But of course, they can be pitted against a duster. :twisted: I merely think there should be at least one egger in each fight.
Hmm, I guess I answered the question in a IC way of "How do I get the best holoreel sales numbers". That might not have been what you ment with "What works best?", but I am strangely uncapable of answering this question in any other way.
-OOChé