Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

the Serpentis stole a Federation Navy Nyx, here is the  news item

Author Topic: DUSTIES and Capsuleers  (Read 1263 times)

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
DUSTIES and Capsuleers
« on: 11 Sep 2012, 14:29 »

Does anyone have a line on the relationship between capsuleer tech and dusties as far as insta-cloining?  IE.... How PF is it going to be for us capsuleers to strap on dust implants and start lol-suiciding in RP formats ala 'the broker?'

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
Re: DUSTIES and Capsuleers
« Reply #1 on: 11 Sep 2012, 14:36 »

Does anyone have a line on the relationship between capsuleer tech and dusties as far as insta-cloining?  IE.... How PF is it going to be for us capsuleers to strap on dust implants and start lol-suiciding in RP formats ala 'the broker?'

Dust soldiers are using specially-designed clones that have implants replacing entire portions of the brainstem, rather than neural jacks that 'hook' into parts of the brain's sensory I/O.

Odds of compatibility are infinitesimally small, if I've understood CCP's position correctly, and even if compatibility were possible, you wouldn't be doing it with the same clone. You would have capsule-capable clones, and Rambo clones, but not Rambo clones that can fly starships.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #2 on: 11 Sep 2012, 14:43 »

It seemed to me, that anyone could be a dustie with proper clone engineering, it didn't require the specific genetics of a pod pilot.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #3 on: 11 Sep 2012, 15:22 »

Which also make me wonder why the capsuleer cloning tech is not evolving from this clumsy, archaic way of brainscan when the capsule is breached. Why not using dust tech now mh ?

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #4 on: 11 Sep 2012, 15:23 »

Dust soldiers are using specially-designed clones that have implants replacing entire portions of the brainstem, rather than neural jacks that 'hook' into parts of the brain's sensory I/O.

Odds of compatibility are infinitesimally small, if I've understood CCP's position correctly, and even if compatibility were possible, you wouldn't be doing it with the same clone. You would have capsule-capable clones, and Rambo clones, but not Rambo clones that can fly starships.

That makes sense, but I'm asking more for RP permutations and repercussions.  An achilles heel of capsuleers is that outside of the pod they don't have continuity of consciousness. This would seem to remove that....

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #5 on: 11 Sep 2012, 16:15 »

Well, as I understood it as well one of the major differences between DUSTies and capsuleers is that while capsuleers are capable of purchasing a clone contract for themselves, DUSTies are entirely reliant on their employers to provide spare clones - no work, no backup bodies.

Of course, this raises the question of how exactly the Arkombine function - I would presume they purchase DUST clones on the black market, though if they can a capsuleer almost certainly could as well.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #6 on: 11 Sep 2012, 16:57 »

Seems reasonable to think if there was an emerging supersoldier rebellion in New Eden it wouldn't be hard to step in and give them the same rights they give capsuleers as a way to diffuse the situation.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #7 on: 11 Sep 2012, 20:19 »

Actually, that'd be the last thing I'd want to do as a national leader - after years of CCP sticking it in our faces how completely out-of-control, merciless, and nutty capsuleers are, would you really want to set off the same kind of situation on a planet, right next to all of your people?
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #8 on: 12 Sep 2012, 04:19 »

Of course, this raises the question of how exactly the Arkombine function - I would presume they purchase DUST clones on the black market, though if they can a capsuleer almost certainly could as well.

Probably because the Arkombine has the power of any respectable megacorporation. And thus if you are a rogue dust merc, your only choice is probably to work for them as well.

Ollie

• Egger
« Reply #9 on: 12 Sep 2012, 22:04 »

Seems reasonable to think if there was an emerging supersoldier rebellion in New Eden it wouldn't be hard to step in and give them the same rights they give capsuleers as a way to diffuse the situation.

As the corp or faction owning the clones it would be even easier to flick a switch and turn them all off simultaneously, then arrange for some lackey to send in the salvage drones to recover some of your investment. I think that approach is supported in one of the DUST chronicles.