Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Dam-Torsad is the Amarr Imperial City and capital? Read the chron!

Author Topic: Colonial regions vs industrialized regions (highsec/lowsec) and the State  (Read 1299 times)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV

Checking the regions of the State, I notice that there is very little lowsec except for Black Rise. With the Citadel being the "most fortified region in the cluster", it makes me see the State as a highly industrialized "fortress nation". There is no "frontier" per se except BR (I thought Lonetrek might be but even that's mostly highsec) which sort of makes sense...if 90% of everything is controlled by monolithic megacorporations, it sounds like everything would be highly developed with the concept of "colonies" not being remote backwaters unlike elsewhere. Kinda like a futuristic Japan...small, fortified and advanced.

This is why I imagine Black Rise is such a big deal for the Caldari, because it is truly a "new frontier", completely untouched by the mass industrialization of the other three regions. I do believe the Forge, Citadel and Lonetrek are referred to as the First, Second and Third Districts, correct? Might not be in that order, but if the three regions of the State are referred to as 'Districts', then it plays to the idea that the State has little areas that are underdeveloped.

In general the idea I have is that planets in highsec are, well, "worlds", and planets in lowsec are "colonies"...so for the Federation, the 'core' industrialized regions are Everyshore, Essence and Sinq (the third being a border lynchpin), and the colonial regions are Placid, "the Verge" and Solitude...

For the Republic it's Molden Heath....one of the Amarr's colonial region would be Aridia etc.

(Given, despite Lonetrek mostly being highsec, it might still be the 'outer region' of the State, given its only borders are other State regions and nullsec...and the line from Jita 4-4

Usually their first time here from some outer-regional post, Lonetrek or something like that.
)

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.

For Molden Heath in particular, this makes sense. The region description says:

The common ground of the Heath, away from the bustling crowds of Heimatar and Metropolis, was in the days of the Elders committed as neutral ground between the Matari Tribes, to be claimed by none and developed by all.

Its scarcity of resources, proximity to the untamed reaches of Great Wildlands and the hated space of the turncoat Ammatar have all diminished its value in the eyes of modern Minmatar society. This coupled with barriers imposed by bordering singularities and voids has created a region with an unsettled history and an uncertain future.

Today, as legitimate claimant to the title of "center of the cluster", and as the site of the Golgothan Fields, the region still evokes great national pride, but despite this remains mostly undeveloped. Indeed, in recent years the outcast Thukker Tribe have been making in-roads, which does little to enhance its already tarnished image.

This is a little out of date in some respects, particularly with regard to the Thukker tribe (at least politically, if not culturally). And with the recent news about refugee camps on Rens and so forth, the obvious question as to why the Republic hasn't started planning to use MH for the returned Starkmanir and Nefantar.