EVE-Online RP Discussion and Resources > EVE OOC Summit

Voluval as truth, especially bad marks.

<< < (12/13) > >>

Saede Riordan:

--- Quote from: Casiella on 11 Aug 2012, 19:00 ---
--- Quote from: Saede Riordan on 11 Aug 2012, 17:18 ---I went with the assumption that the voluval is a Jovian thingie
--- End quote ---

[citation needed]

--- End quote ---

Quite honestly, this thread. Its obviously all heresy, but I felt like it would be interesting to have s seemingly evil character with a benign mark, and thus obviously, Jovians Did It.

lallara zhuul:
Why would the voluval goop be benign or passive in nature?

It could have even more active than just passively doing eugenics on the whole population, it could be actively changing the genome of the Matari.

There is just a few things that I think have been disregarded in this thread.

The fact that during the enslavement bit it was not given as a ritual to the population, even now 60%(?) of the Minnie population is enslaved. So actually in the terms of the whole race it is actually a minority that gets the ritual done.

If it would be a Jovian thingamabob, then Jovians would be actively working towards getting the whole Minmatar population under the umbrella of the ritual.

I think one thing speaks highly against the uber high tech nature of the voluval.

It's production.

I seriously doubt that the shamans of the have sekrit artifact that they milk for the voluval goop.

For one primary reason, logistics.

Getting the goop from one location to the people pre-Day of Darkness would not have been that hard, but now it would be very much so. Especially since the whole logistics chain would have to be a secret as well, otherwise the invaders (Amarr) would have found the sekrit voluval Slurm milking plant.

Matariki Rain:

--- Quote from: lallara zhuul on 12 Aug 2012, 13:41 ---Why would the voluval goop be benign or passive in nature?

--- End quote ---

Didn't claim it was. Talking about that in too much detail, though, blurs the boundaries between IC public knowledge, IC secrets (which might or might not be "true"), and OOC suppositions.

(I can't resist saying, though, that Mata uses the phrase "infection or inoculation" to describe it.)

Makkal:

--- Quote from: Casiella on 21 Jun 2011, 20:34 ---But what's it measuring?
--- End quote ---
Your 'totally not worthy of society' gene.

Reyd Karris:

--- Quote from: Makkal on 12 Aug 2012, 18:26 ---
--- Quote from: Casiella on 21 Jun 2011, 20:34 ---But what's it measuring?
--- End quote ---
Your 'totally not worthy of society' gene.

--- End quote ---
Genetic predisposition (key markers for mood disorders, late childhood/early adulthood onset genetic disorders, psychosis, etc.), neurology (serotonin and melatonin levels), drugs and toxins, etc.

Lots of little things can be detected, and a combination of these "markers" determine the mark. While there may not be a set interpretation, these marks could be used along with oral and written tradition to cross-reference what kind of person they may be.

In short; a really nifty way to pass down genetic testing and integrate eugenics principles into a tribal society in a culturally acceptable way, without telling them exactly what's going on.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version