Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The CBD megacorporation is a major importer/exporter in the State?

Author Topic: Dual Maining, Character Progression Outside of EVE, Other Nonsense.  (Read 965 times)

Jace

• Veteran

So I am bored and began thinking about my array of characters and trying to properly index the fiction related to them. How many of you seem to dual-main? Do you have characters that continue to have a life of their own even when you are largely uninvolved in-game with them? Jace has been my so-called 'main' for who knows how long now, but I have other characters older than him. Some of them I have been writing fiction about off and on the entire time I have not been playing them and it seems to give them a depth that can never quite be utilized in-game and with others since none of that story involves other players. The benefit of this being that you can retcon many things since nobody has ever heard them.

Despite my long love affair with Caldari, the waning is beginning to overthrow the waxing and I find myself focusing more and more on my own time with my other, older, more foundationalized (is word, I swear) characters. Despite my usage of Jace over the last couple years, I find myself being more connected with a five year old character that I have been writing or thinking about almost that entire time. Since I have started to write fiction unrelated to video games, it made me realize when I was looking back over the materials for this other character that I could easily rewrite much of it in the form of a novella or perhaps full 60,000 word novel. The depth is far beyond what I have encountered in-game with other players in quite some time, but as I mentioned before it is also not quite utilizable with other players for obvious reasons.

No, this post has no real structure to it.

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain

RPwise -- Jared, Arista and Caldinea are all equals.  But as RP moves at glacial pace, there's been no need to focus or worry about it for me, anyway, especially since a lot of handwaving and 'we do this OK' can go on quickly to keep certain characters in certain 'statuses' in game.

Disjointed thinking is my second language so no worries.

Jace

• Veteran

I think it is that glacial pace that gets old for me after a while and part of what drives me to continue my characters out of game and away from other players.

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread

It would seem that I am incapable of dual-maining, or even main-alting.
Sometimes I catch myself having Ché's thoughts while I walk in the supermarket (not shopping) or something. Once I even dreamed as Ché, and this resulted in me writing Nightmares.
-OOChé

Lyn Farel

In other MMOs, I am able to do so. In Eve, I never was. Maybe too much work and involvement required, which was already gigantic for just one char... Holyhell... spent 310 days of my damn life playing that game.

What would it have required to play 2 characters ?  :eek:

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
  • The Dark Powers Are Always Happy To Help

How many of you seem to dual-main?

Uhm.

Ah.

Eeeeeeeh.

You know, I've sometimes wondered what EVE would have been like if I'd just stuck with two mains.  (Or even the very first character I started out with.)

Jace

• Veteran

How many of you seem to dual-main?

Uhm.

Ah.

Eeeeeeeh.

You know, I've sometimes wondered what EVE would have been like if I'd just stuck with two mains.  (Or even the very first character I started out with.)

If I had stuck with the first character I made back in 2007, I am pretty sure I would have ended up more involved at a sheer doing things level in EVE instead of typically focusing on trade or faction warfare.

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
  • The Dark Powers Are Always Happy To Help

If I had stuck with the first character I made back in 2007, I am pretty sure I would have ended up more involved at a sheer doing things level in EVE instead of typically focusing on trade or faction warfare.

I think my 2005 character would have -- had I also kept with my original plan to stay away from corporations, roleplaying and forums -- would have likely wound up in some forgotten corner of low-sec, quietly building things and occasionally pissing off people.