Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That there are minmatar who willingly serve the Amarr empire? More here

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Summit RP - does anyone actually care about IC discussions of PF anymore?  (Read 14377 times)

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...

Are you suggesting we can't have nice things?  8)

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/

probably

just petty, petty things, like, someone that was some kind of new blood raider person started saying something about their interpretations of scriptures, and some dude started ranting on and on about how god doesn't exist and so on and so forth, then in the OOC channel started going on about how the blood raider person (who wasn't in ooc channel) should stop doing blood raider stuff, because they had a grudge against Revan and also religious people, because of whatever happened whenever. Which was entirely irrelevant to anything, particularly when the new blood raidery person was doing something different to whatever it was that captain grudgebearer had objections to in the first place.

it's like, the same handful of people go "Oh look, a new player, lets tell them not to RP"
\o/

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind

... The best thing in this situation, is to chuck a mail with some log snippets - from both channels - to several of the moderators. Even if some are online, they might not be paying attention to either channel, and might miss it.

If they are around, say something. If it is something that bothers you, that's enough to merit reporting it to a moderator if you think it is disruptive and counterproductive to RP.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Kemekk

• Amarrian Ultranationalist
  • Wetgraver
  • Dei ta Reshios

However, as with a ton of posts in this thread, the problem with The Summit seems to be that it wasn't what you expected. I should probably remove mentions of politics, debate and the like from the MOTD.

That would probably help with the confusion. I'm not really sure what the Summit is about anymore, since I thought the MOTD was accurate.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran

It is what it's always been: IGS Live.

The front foyer of the madhouse.

For better or for worse.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

scagga

• Everything for Vaari
  • Pod Captain

Are you suggesting we can't have nice things?  8)

“All good things must come to an end, but all bad things can continue forever.”

More on topic.

If a context is set for people to get involved in a discussion, more people will get involved.  I think these are possible reasons for low uptake:

- Insufficient context for character to get involved. e.g. many threads are quite analytical and would therefore attract those willing to spend time thinking about the subject.  There is a lack of purpose behind them, unless it is inherent in a character to answer these questions.  and how, outside of philosophical circles, are such questions relevant?  What proportion of a given player population devotes time away from making isk or killing things to matters of deep cerebral discussion?

I think these are possible ways of increasing uptake:

- IC discussions of PF may be more interesting to characters if there are consequences.  E.g. We will decide whether this faction is good based on our interpretation of the evidence, if they are bad we will go and destroy them together. 

- The matter of PF is relevant to the audience.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child

[spoiler=VULGAR LANGUAGE AHEAD!][/spoiler]

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type

Yes. It's called NEA.

And it's never active for a reason. A shame, too.

Plainly out of curiosity, what would that reason be?
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?

Jovian shenanigans.
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Lyn Farel

Yes. It's called NEA.

Most people are less interested in more serious/politically oriented discussions.

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type

Yes. It's called NEA.

Most people are less interested in more serious/politically oriented discussions.

... so what was the point of the Summit in the first place?

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
Will never happen to you

Kithrus Crases

• Lord of Paradox
  • Clonejack
  • War is lost before it started

Yes. It's called NEA.

I been asking myself that same question a lot lately.

Maybe its just personal bias when a majority of rp'ers act like 0.0 is unimportant or that either FW makes you a monster or something to be dismissed as a an exercise in futility.
Or for that matter since we are not getting any new stories on the EvE site it makes anything as a player I can do feel IC useless and unchanging.

Thats not why I started playing EvE, I play EvE because I can get 50 people working toward something and change a corner of the universe.

Whats weird though is the rp community treats the universe is completely unchanging. Any actions you take is like blowing into the wind.

This is frustrating.  :bash:

My complaints on the attitude of the summit aside I love the place when the above in not the case. There are many spirited conversations and personal plots I like seeing come out. I can't wait to come back and continue working on my major projects again both in and out of character.

I do feel however that the summit could do with some reform. :P

A long time ago someone said something so powerful and so meaningful I lived by it my entire life. Doing this however I forgot what he said and its become second nature to just do it.
Now that I want to share it I can't, I can only hope you keep listening for Wisdom.

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type

Yes. It's called NEA.

I been asking myself that same question a lot lately.

Maybe its just personal bias when a majority of rp'ers act like 0.0 is unimportant or that either FW makes you a monster or something to be dismissed as a an exercise in futility.
Or for that matter since we are not getting any new stories on the EvE site it makes anything as a player I can do feel IC useless and unchanging.

Thats not why I started playing EvE, I play EvE because I can get 50 people working toward something and change a corner of the universe.

Whats weird though is the rp community treats the universe is completely unchanging. Any actions you take is like blowing into the wind.

This is frustrating.  :bash:

My complaints on the attitude of the summit aside I love the place when the above in not the case. There are many spirited conversations and personal plots I like seeing come out. I can't wait to come back and continue working on my major projects again both in and out of character.

I do feel however that the summit could do with some reform. :P

Well, sandbox though it may be, there are plenty of places where EVE is unchanging. FW is one of those areas. It's difficult to RP success when CCP won't allow you to accomplish anything.

As far as political forums, they're a worthy idea, but there is little room for them in-game. Get enough RPers together, there's going to be an argument about whose faction is better than whose. The only way to prevent that downfall is to use moderators or spokespeople, and that gets too complicated. As soon as things are complicated enough to take organizational effort, the players shirk and stop using the channel.

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
Will never happen to you

Kithrus Crases

• Lord of Paradox
  • Clonejack
  • War is lost before it started

I suppose that is fair to say.

Holding space is not an easy thing to do however. Things that take booth skill, teamwork and corp bonds should be praised though. This isn't or shouldn't be limited to null sec.
A long time ago someone said something so powerful and so meaningful I lived by it my entire life. Doing this however I forgot what he said and its become second nature to just do it.
Now that I want to share it I can't, I can only hope you keep listening for Wisdom.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran

As far as political forums, they're a worthy idea, but there is little room for them in-game. Get enough RPers together, there's going to be an argument about whose faction is better than whose. The only way to prevent that downfall is to use moderators or spokespeople, and that gets too complicated. As soon as things are complicated enough to take organizational effort, the players shirk and stop using the channel.

Exactly.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7