Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That, even on non-capsuleer vessels, ship command sections are designed to be sheared off and function as an escape capsule? (The Burning Life p. 85)

Author Topic: Zeitgeist: Moving Forward  (Read 1329 times)

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
Zeitgeist: Moving Forward
« on: 14 Aug 2012, 06:15 »

Link

A full length documentary exploring the structural problems with the global monetary system, predicting the slow slide of the whole planet into bankruptcy, and discussing how a new, monieless, resource based economy could fix the failing system.

Its two hours long, but its very very good, and I'm curious what others think about it.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
Re: Zeitgeist: Moving Forward
« Reply #1 on: 14 Aug 2012, 06:20 »

If its anything like its predecessor it is an unenlightened mishmash of bad economic ideas, misconceptions, and conspiracy theories.
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
« Reply #2 on: 14 Aug 2012, 06:24 »

If its anything like its predecessor it is an unenlightened mishmash of bad economic ideas, misconceptions, and conspiracy theories.

Care to actually elucidate upon that statement? Cause, I didn't really think that at all.

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #3 on: 14 Aug 2012, 06:32 »

The original film asserts several things that are provably wrong.  The Fed doesnt work the way it claims, which pretty much takes apart the entire third part of the movie.  The second part of the movie is intimately linked with the 9/11 Truth movement, which pretty much thoroughly invalidates that, and the first part of the movie doesnt slot in the rest of the movie and sounds like it came straight out of a Dan Brown book.
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
« Reply #4 on: 14 Aug 2012, 06:52 »

The original film asserts several things that are provably wrong.  The Fed doesnt work the way it claims, which pretty much takes apart the entire third part of the movie.  The second part of the movie is intimately linked with the 9/11 Truth movement, which pretty much thoroughly invalidates that, and the first part of the movie doesnt slot in the rest of the movie and sounds like it came straight out of a Dan Brown book.

Well, this movie didn't talk about 9/11 at all, they didn't spend that much time talking about the government itself at all, and just went about trying to address the structural problems with the current system.

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #5 on: 14 Aug 2012, 06:57 »

The problems which they talked about in Zeigeist: the Movie and Zeitgeist: Addendum and which are provably false?

This film was created in order to push something called the "Venus Institute", which I suggest you look up.  You can take a look at them and see if you like what they do, but they themselves have backed away from the Zeitgeist dudes.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
« Reply #6 on: 14 Aug 2012, 07:10 »

The problems which they talked about in Zeigeist: the Movie and Zeitgeist: Addendum and which are provably false?

This film was created in order to push something called the "Venus Institute", which I suggest you look up.  You can take a look at them and see if you like what they do, but they themselves have backed away from the Zeitgeist dudes.

I did look it up, and I quite agreed with a lot of the things it postulates, obviously, there are holes in them, quite large ones in fact, this video addresses a lot of them, but I don't really agree with that poster entirely either. Overall though, the movie has a lot of good ideas, and ones that really do deserve to be explored more thoroughly, do I suggest blindly following what they say? of course not, but its worthy of exploration.
« Last Edit: 14 Aug 2012, 07:12 by Saede Riordan »

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #7 on: 14 Aug 2012, 07:43 »

Is it directed by Michael Bay? It should have been. Needs more exploding swimming pools and stuff.

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #8 on: 14 Aug 2012, 10:55 »

There will never be a non-money based global economic system unless we somehow hit post-scarcity. (At which point, all bets on anything are off anyways.) As soon as you have a chicken farmer who wants peanuts and a peanut farmer who doesn't want chickens, they'll invent money. It's just too useful to society.
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 14 Aug 2012, 11:12 »

There will never be a non-money based global economic system unless we somehow hit post-scarcity. (At which point, all bets on anything are off anyways.) As soon as you have a chicken farmer who wants peanuts and a peanut farmer who doesn't want chickens, they'll invent money. It's just too useful to society.

Also, there may come a point where a particular item/material (preferably one with little practical value) moves from being an item traded for other items to one that acts as money - precious metal/stone coinage.

It was only recently that we moved away from pegging currency against precious metals.

I am not suggesting we return to it, just that coinage arises as bartering becomes more complicated.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #10 on: 14 Aug 2012, 12:55 »

Seems legit.

Akrasjel Lanate

• Omelette
« Reply #11 on: 15 Aug 2012, 01:58 »

Saw it some time ago.

Syylara/Yaansu

• Egger
« Reply #12 on: 16 Aug 2012, 18:43 »

I've seen all 3 and generally have found more agreement with them with each iteration.

However, it is mostly in the sense of the broader themes discussed such as the socially and environmentally corrosive practices that are taking place and the fact that we can do something about it, but are generally discouraged from doing so through various coercive means.

What we are doing now clearly does not work for a variety of reasons.  Whether we will address that problem and move into a more sustainable societal structure before conditions worsen to the point of that transition being horribly painful for a majority of our species (an energy collapse, for example) is an entirely different matter.