Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That many tattoos in EVE are nano-tattoos created with microchips implanted in the skin, programmed to react to the wearer's emotional state? Read more here.

Author Topic: Oserik Illard and his extended family  (Read 855 times)

Oserik Illard

• Clonejack
Oserik Illard and his extended family
« on: 18 Jun 2012, 22:32 »

I'm going to do my best to split this bio into two sections.

The first section is information on Oserik, and the second is information on the Illard family and Eifrald Clan. These sections are subdivided into "public information" (e.g. stuff that would come up via Google, or could be obtained by calling up a friendly diplomat, journalist, or intelligence officer), and "privileged information" (stuff that only especially wealthy or connected capsuleers would be able to find out).

I've been thinking about this stuff for awhile, so it's pretty detailed. I have not included information visible on my in-game profile (e.g. what's in my bio, employment history, etc.).

Let me know if there are any incongruities, or if any of my invented Scandinavian-sounding names are actually swear words or unintentionally funny/stupid.

Oserik Illard

D.O.B.: YC89/03/10
Place of Birth: Hjalur City, Trytedald III
Height: 176cm
Weight: 76kg
Hair Color: Dark Brown
Eye Color: Green/Gray- known to have an Odin ocular implant installed on clones

Immediate Family:

Torvar Illard, father; Deputy General Counsel at The Leisure Group.

Dr. Lisbet Illard, mother; Vice President, Pharmaceutical Division, Eifyr and Co.

Savvi Illard, sister, graduate student, University of Caille, Bourynes.

Education: Until he was a teenager, Oserik received an informal education from Clan elders on the grounds of their Trytedald compound. He was then sent to Eram Academy, a prestigious Gallente-style boarding school on Eram II. He graduated from Republic University with a degree in law before entering its capsuleer program. Academic records indicate that Oserik was a good, although not exemplary, student.

Activities as a Capsuleer, Public Info:

Oserik has done little of note since becoming a capsuleer. He has developed a strong relationship with Matari organizations like The Leisure Group and Republic Fleet, and has also done extensive work for the Sisters of Eve. Strangely, Oserik has spent a lot of time and money cultivating relationships in the Caldari State, particularly with the State and Region Bank.

His corporation, Concordant Sciences (ticker "XSCI"), currently manufactures both legal and illegal neural boosters. XSCI maintains a small network of planetary and orbital facilities, employing about 1,000 workers of mostly Matari origin.

Privileged Info:

Oserik's corporation, Concordant Sciences, received the bulk of its start-up capital from planetary sources both within and outside the Republic. It is widely suspected that most of this money is of dubious origin.

Rumor-mongers claim that XSCI has retained the services of a former Mercantile Club Handmaiden. Highly cultivated and skilled in the arts of business and war, every four years each Megacorp nominates 25 young girls to serve as "Handmaidens" at the Mercantile Club. During their four year tenures they act as impartial intermediaries, advisors, and servants to Club members. Their skills, along with the personal connections they cultivate during their time at the Club, make them highly sought-after employees for any Caldari executive worth their salt. They are not often employed outside the State.

Rumors have begun to circulate that the Eifrald, fearing future unrest in the Republic, as well as political backlash for their staunch support of Karin Midular, have started moving their assets offshore. Oserik's relationship with the State and Region Bank may be some indication that there's truth to these rumors, although how and why the aristocratic Caldari bank would do business with a Sebiestor clan remains a mystery for now.

_______

The Illard and Eifrald

Public Info:

Eifrald Clan members tend to be employed in high-stress, creative positions throughout the Republic. Many work at The Leisure Group, Eifyr and Co., and Urban Management.

Joren Illard, Oserik's Great-Uncle and the patriarch of the Illard family, is Senior Vice President for Strategy and Business Development at Urban Management. A former Republic diplomat who served in the Caldari State, Joren is both admired and feared in corporate circles throughout the Republic. He is a frequent guest commentator on the Matari business and foreign affairs programs "Rens Today!" and "Focus On: The Forge."  Joren sports the "Spyglass" Voluval mark around his left eye, an extremely rare and highly-regarded mark.

While the wealth of Matari clans and families is difficult to trace and quantify, the Eifrald hold about a dozen lucrative SCC-recognized patents, as well as vast tracts of real estate in Heimatar and Molden Heath.

Privileged Info

Although they have always been considered prosperous, the clan's fortunes increased exponentially during the Midular administration. Sources point to government corruption and tolerance of the Clan's brutal "business practices" as the cause of its increased fortunes. The Eifrald have yet to be ostracized or publicly shamed by the new Traditionalist bloc in the Republic, but tensions are simmering. Several clan members are known to have "disappeared" shortly after the Elders' return.

The Eifrald are connected with several of the Republic's most powerful criminal syndicates. While some of these groups are connected to the Angel Cartel, the Clan itself has a rocky relationship with the Cartel. In YC101, Cartel boss Oregg Alun's charred remains were found in the swimming pool of his estate on Aeddin III. At the time, RSS informants indicated that Alun had a dispute with Clan members over real estate on the planet. The case remains unsolved.

HIGHLY Classified RSS documents show that, from YC104-YC108, RSS used the Clan and its criminal associates to launder money and provide smuggled goods to Ammatar nobles. RSS agents would then blackmail these nobles and force them to spy for the Republic.

More to come!

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
Re: Oserik Illard and his extended family
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jun 2012, 01:54 »

The one thing I'm going to comment on is that if you're going for a geisha vibe with the Caldari Handmaidens you'll need to factor in the apparent lack of (or much reduced) gender role distinction in Caldari society. Either make them a group of gifted young Companions of whatever sex, or play up what little gendering we're given by making the Mercantile Club have actual wood-lined club rooms with a strong Heart-of-the-Forest theme.

As for Matari stuff, there's lots of space for doing things in different ways. This background makes Oserik quite interestingly connected in ways which it can be hard to play in-game: let's see what you come up with for that.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 19 Jun 2012, 10:00 »

Interesting stuff.  Thanks for sharing.
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Oserik Illard

• Clonejack
« Reply #3 on: 19 Jun 2012, 20:18 »

Good points Matariki, the geisha vibe wasn't my initial intention, but it is plain as day now that you point it out. I'd never seen that Heart of the Forest thing, it's very interesting! I had always seen the Mercantile Club as sort of an "old" Caldari institution, and thought a rotating neutral class of servants/advisors/etc. fit nicely with what we know about it. Caldari culture does tend to be very egalitarian (with respect to gender, at least that's my impression), so sticking with the single-sex theme probably isn't for the best.

In terms of acting this stuff out in game, I'm not sure how far it'll go either. I think it makes for interesting background fodder, but once I take the bar exam (and train up a couple million more SP ) I'll have a lot more time to play and can explore this stuff a little more. This would be a tough road to hoe if I thought I could really play all these angles, I think the point is that it's impossible-- I'm going to have to pick. Where I end up, who knows?

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #4 on: 23 Jun 2012, 19:14 »

State and Region Bank, best bank.