Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That CCP financed the initial development of EVE Online by publishing a board game called Hættuspil ("Danger Game")?

Author Topic: Re: Sending a message about Incarna and the future of EVE  (Read 786 times)

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran

This whole debacle and how players have reacted to it and still keep reacting to it reminds me of very much of a certain pattern that is quite irrational and quite common.

That of an abusive relationship.

Abuse happens.
The abused threatens to leave, packs his/her stuff and goes to a relatives house.
Abuser lies that things will change.
Abused comes up with excuses for abusers behaviour.
Abuser agrees.
Abused goes back into the relationship knowing that the abuser has changed.
The Abuser hasn't, eventually the cycle starts anew.

Why the abused just doesn't leave the relationship behind is puzzling to everyone outside the relationship.
There are a few things that keep the abused in the relationship, memories of good times, hope for a better future than the present, belief that things could be worse, fear of being alone, dependency on the abuser in one way or another, children.
Those outside the whole relationship see that the abused starts to change during the relationship, they become blind to the abuse, give excuses for the abusers behaviour, they start avoiding things that might trigger the abuse, usually some kind of addiction also creeps in, especially if the abuser shares it.

So, what does this have to do with an EVE player?

We all have had golden memories, we still have fun playing the game if we avoid the broken bits, we want to hold on to the community that has gone through the same shit that we have, we know that there is not a single MMO out there that can compete even with a broken EVE, we want to believe when CCP lies to us because we really, really, really want to play EVE.

But lets face it, CCP will not change.

Friendships that you have made in EVE will stay with you if you have built them to last.
You can have fun in a myriad of ways outside of EVE without frustration of a broken game mechanic or abuse from other players or game developers.
Good memories are of the past, live in the present and for a better future.

The stuff I have rambled on about here is just my personal feelings and experiences.
I'm just hoping that this perspective will give something for someone.

FYI, HTFU is exactly what an abuser would say to the abused when they threaten to leave the relationship.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type

FYI, HTFU is exactly what an abuser would say to the abused when they threaten to leave the relationship.

Dude.

Mind blown in the worst way. D:
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Desiderya

I am very sorry to say that, but that's just a not very clever piece of argumentation there. Now, I don't mind using examples that may tread on someones shoes as long as they fit.
I think you're overshooting quite a bit there.

Kohiko Sun

• Duckling
  • Egger

As someone who was in an abusive marriage for years, I can say it doesn't compare anywhere close to corporate ineptitude exploding in a black comedy of errors. Please try to keep some perspective.
Will work for pretty sig.

Vikarion

As someone who was in an abusive marriage for years, I can say it doesn't compare anywhere close to corporate ineptitude exploding in a black comedy of errors. Please try to keep some perspective.

I grew up in an abusive family. I don't really think pay-to-win and MT are quite on the same level as someone punching me, k? Thanks. I see the analogy, but I don't think that's valid either: CCP is a company, not a person, and they have listened to and acted on our concerns at times.
« Last Edit: 27 Jun 2011, 08:27 by Vikarion »

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.

[mod]Insensitive and offensive to many people. Please find a less extreme analogy.[/mod]