Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the expansion name "Incarna" was Stitcher's winning entry in an E-ON magazine competition?

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: The tides of change  (Read 8856 times)

Merahl

• Clonejack
Re: The tides of change
« Reply #75 on: 21 Jun 2011, 17:39 »

I'm arriving late here, since I don't know where you started from, with just a comment based on observation.

Merahl is actually one of those supposedly rare "liberal" Matari. He's very openminded and will give anyone a chance, etc, etc. He was about to speak with Nikita after one of the challenges, but then he saw how she treated the woman she'd competed against and lost interest in getting to know her.

Please be aware that simply telling people your character is changing or trying to change is not enough. Your IC actions influence a lot about how others will respond to her. There is a saying, "Be what you want to seem," and it is very fitting, here.

Shintoko Akahoshi

• Red Mom of War(?)
  • Pod Captain
  • Red Mom of War!
« Reply #76 on: 21 Jun 2011, 20:02 »

Okay so if the Angels are really her people, why the desire for change?

Because she wants to turn the angels into something better then they are, and she wants them to be accepted into the galactic community, which is something that being slavers directly interferes with. Also, keep in mind that while the angels are her people, she still thinks of herself as Matari, and arguing about what it means to be matari is rather what started her down this path in the first place.

I've always maintained (I'm late to the Angel party, but I make up for it with chutzpah) that slavery within the Cartel is a matter of economics. The Cartel engages in slavery largely to sell slaves (and I'm not talking about the underclasses of Cartel society, I'm talking about actual "we have captured you, we are now going to sell you into slavery" slavery), and they do this because their customers want to buy them. If the market for slaves dried up, they'd shift that aspect of their business to black market auto parts, or long limb roe, or bobbly-headed SOE nun dolls, or whatever people want to buy.

So maybe Nikita has a vision of a Cartel that sits equal in status to the other big empires, and she's decided that it's practice of slavery is standing in the way. She could decide to focus on eliminating the market for slaves, figuring that by doing this she'd coax the Cartel away from this practice. There'd surely be opposition within the Cartel - she's working to eliminate a lucrative market for them. At the same time, she could bring other Cartel members to her view by arguing that slavery within the Cartel is a matter of a focus on short term profits blocking a more profitable long term strategy. Likewise, she might forge some ties with, say, the Republic by bringing her organization into the fight against Amarrian slavery.

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
« Reply #77 on: 22 Jun 2011, 00:10 »

Please be aware that simply telling people your character is changing or trying to change is not enough. Your IC actions influence a lot about how others will respond to her. There is a saying, "Be what you want to seem," and it is very fitting, here.

Proving you aren't doing something is always difficult.

In EVE, this is doubly true, the behaviour you claim you won't do might actually not be visible at all.

Even moreso, many admitted slavers might have never trafficked in slaves noticably in-game.

If something does not concern flying your spaceship somewhere and actually shooting at someone, EVE is a very invisible game.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #78 on: 22 Jun 2011, 17:29 »

That's honestly sort of what she's doing, except its not the Tribes that Nikita has any overall disdain for (although there is some of that there) her hatred is mostly aimed at CONCORD and the Big4, who had 'Her People' branded as nothing more then criminals and condemned them to be hunted down as such.

Sounds like a good and solid RP basis.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #79 on: 23 Jun 2011, 02:57 »

That's honestly sort of what she's doing, except its not the Tribes that Nikita has any overall disdain for (although there is some of that there) her hatred is mostly aimed at CONCORD and the Big4, who had 'Her People' branded as nothing more then criminals and condemned them to be hunted down as such.

Sounds like a good and solid RP basis.

If your firmly in league with the Angels, yes. This game is shades-of-grey, and I love it for it. From the Angel POW, CONCORD's treatment of them is unfair and 'evil'. From the POW of their victims, mostly in the Big4, it's entierly justified. This creates a great piece of conflict all on it's own and after this comes all the little details.

Niki, given the advice offered in here and all these things combined I don't think you will have to hard a time figuring out what you want to do. My last advice is simply to pick one option and going with it - half-assing it or dancing on the middle-razor isn't likely to do anything but stress you out of game. And honestly, if you like the Angels this much I fail to see why you should not stick around with them.

After all, even us bitter, hateful loyalists need enemies ;)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]