Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

blueprints are required for manufacture of everything from shuttles to dreadnoughts because of strict anti-copyright infringement laws enforced by the SCC.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: [Collaboration - IC] Origin Tour  (Read 14643 times)

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
Re: [Collaboration - IC] Origin Tour
« Reply #45 on: 04 Mar 2016, 08:45 »

Aria breezes through the first district, pausing on occasion to check an alley for interesting or telling graffiti. Her onboard system dutifully tracks patterns in the design, cut, quality, and frequency of various outfits worn by passersby, while expert systems pick them apart for likely interpretations. Explicit or implicit markers of rank, political affiliation, and social status are particular subjects of interest.

Barring any abrupt discovery of a fascinating pattern, though, Aria heads more or less straight on through to sections of the city not so obviously linked to rank and power.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #46 on: 04 Mar 2016, 11:56 »

Utari:
Saede shrugs again. "Honestly, even if its not seen as a great and terrible thing in the Empire, that doesn't change the fact that its pretty damn awful for the people being reclaimed. I mean sure, you can point to the Udorians or the Ni-kunni as success stories of various degrees, and even the Ammatar. But the fact is that the act of reclaiming someone against their will causes a tremendous amount of suffering. Its not something I can stand behind. If people want to worship the Amarr god, or even proselytize about him, that's fine, but...well, religion is a lot like a penis. Its fine to have one, and its fine to be proud of it, but most people don't appreciate having it forced down their throats."

Aria:
In the First District, even the alleyways and side streets are clean, and in many cases the walls in even these secluded places is covered in crawling AR artwork. The art is varied, though in the First District it is almost always somewhat civic: spaceships flying, forests swaying in the breeze, wind blowing off the ocean onto sand dunes while children play in the surf, and occasionally abstract swirls of chaotic color and light.

The clothing of the locals bears its own unique aesthetic, owing to the local manufacture of clothing, and the eclectic mix of ethnicity of the settlers. Robes are common, as are cloaks and capes, though they are often part of an outfit that would otherwise not look out of place in a Caldari boardroom. The professional attire gives way to a more varied look as Aria migrates outward towards the rest of Foundation City. People are about wearing everything from professional business suits, to t-shirts and cargo pants, to those transparent plastic dresses worn in the Federation. Everyone seems rather uniformly affluent, though those in professional attire tend to stand out the most.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Utari Onzo

« Reply #47 on: 04 Mar 2016, 14:47 »

Utari takes Saede's reply stoicly aside from narrowing his eyes ever so slightly, almost in a flinch, at the blunt analogy.

"I don't doubt the historical Reclaimation has been.. Contentious. Awful for those that experienced and continue to experiance it. But then again, no state has been innocent in this Cluster. All have done some things that'd make the common man balk. Still, things are already moving in the Empire. Between halting of new enslavement, outside of POWs and criminals, and the release of the 9th generation slaves by Empress Jamyl, we might yet see the end of that particular practice sooner then later."

He pauses once more for a drag.

"By that, I mean most of the 9th generation were adults, likely with families released with them. There's only so many 6th, 7th and 8th generation and such that'd likely be of the age to have children, considering the CONCORD agreement's been in place for over 100 years and also the time line of when the Minmatar were Reclaimed. It's basic mathematics, even considering the one time nature of the release. I can't see the slave population staying stable with such conditions, so it's inevitable we'll move to a greater dependance on a free labour pool. Once certain business minded Holders see the economical benefits of it, you'll see a snow ball effect."

"Let's also consider that under the CONCORD agreements, Reclaimation is currently only possible via faith missions and other pro-active voluntary processes. As those become more of the norm and sink in to the modus operandi of the priesthood, that too will change the Empire. Progress is coming, so long as those conditions remain as is. The Empire might be slow to evolve, but it must so long as we remain CONCORD signatories."
« Last Edit: 04 Mar 2016, 14:50 by Utari Onzo »

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #48 on: 04 Mar 2016, 15:16 »

Finding nothing particularly arresting, though many things of at least passing interest, Aria proceeds on through, barely breaking stride (though in her case it's more of a light trot).

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
« Reply #49 on: 04 Mar 2016, 17:05 »

A small drone (created by the SeeBee corporation, which, if someone were to dig deep enough (which is not all that deep for someone like Aria), turns out to be owned by Ché Biko), looking like an indigenous bee species, circles in front of Aria, seemingly trying to get her attention. Once succesful, it flies of towards a nearby wall, on which an AR tag, one about a year old, is placed:

The symbol is (hyper)linked to The Decentralizers, an group wanting to terminate or bypass closed centralized institutions. Tary Lacote and Ché Biko are some of the more well-known members. Underneath the symbol is written "Who observes the observer?"
The drone lands on the questionmark's dot, but will follow Aria if she continues on her way to wherever.
-OOChé

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #50 on: 06 Mar 2016, 09:01 »

The drone definitely picks up Aria's attention. Data flickers into her field of view as her onboard expert systems identify the device, then more as she directs those systems to look further.

"Hallo, Ché," she murmurs as the drone alights (making several not-baseless assumptions, but assumptions nevertheless), "... hm."

She examines the tag as her Ewar systems start delivering preliminary analysis of the drone's control and communication protocols. As of yet, she does not attempt to wrest control of the poor little thing from its owner.

"... Well ... apparently you do. You could have just sent a note," she adds with the faintest hint of a smile. "Did you fall out with Saede or something?"

"Anyway, you've got my attention if you want it. Where to?"

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
« Reply #51 on: 06 Mar 2016, 11:49 »

Utari:
"I can only hope that's true, though I fear you may have an overly optimistic view of your countrymen." Saede takes a long drag of her cigarette. "There's still a lot of people in the Empire calling for another reclaiming. Can they really be entrusted to uphold their agreements with CONCORD forever?"

She shakes her head and wanders up the steps of the Nexus Building, tossing out her cigarette in an ashtray before entering. "I hope for the best, but we don't even know who's going to become Emperor yet. What if King Khanid wins somehow?"

Utari Onzo

« Reply #52 on: 06 Mar 2016, 14:58 »

"Oh, you haven't been following the news? It's on the IGS you know... There won't be a Khanid on the Throne. We'll be seeing a final trial between the Champions of Tash-Murkon and Kor-Azor."

He stubs his own cigarette out like Saede, and looks up at the Nexus Building for a moment.

"You might say optimistic, sure, I say brutal reality. It's an outdated model. Adapt or die, Saede.... Now, enough about where I've come from, I'm here to see where I've come to. I assume this is the main Government Chamber?"

Ché Biko

• Veteran
« Reply #53 on: 06 Mar 2016, 16:30 »

Preliminary analysis of the drone:

Designed to operate autonomously, in coordination with other drones in a network, but remote manual control is possible. As you might expect, manual control is restricted to authorized users (SeeBee corp, in this case). Security seems decent enough to discourage most from even trying to get control, but there seem to be no harmful consequences for trying.
Communication capabilities are mostly focused around transmitting location data to the drone network and surveillance data to a central hub. This particular drone does not appear to be designed with 2-way communication in mind, at least not by audio or visual means.

As such, the drone hovers in front of Aria for a bit, seemingly not sure what to do, until it moves within a few inches of Aria's eyes and extends it's "stinger", which is a Universal Serial Port connector.

Upon connecting with this connector, the drone requests a pretty harmless and basic textual interface.
Upon acceptance, the following text is gradually recieved:

Hey Aria.
Yes, it's Ché. Good guess.
Yeah, it's me observing you now, although that was not what that tag was about, Originally. It was referring to the Office of Central Reconaissance (Origin's equivalent of the Federal Intelligence Office), which no longer exists. Or so I was told.
I would have sent you a note, or actually, I would have welcomed you at the starport if I knew you were coming, but I didn't know. Things between me and Saede are pretty much like they were the last time we talked about that, but I haven't activated my Neocom much the past months, and thus I missed the corporate mail discussing you and Onzo's visit.
Pity...you are one of the decreasing number of things in New Eden I still care about, even though my...behaviour may not make that obvious. Anyway, I welcome you and Onzo to Origin. It's good to see you both...together, no less.
Anyway, I would come say hi in person, but I'm a little busy at the moment. I'll see what I can do about that though...

I already pointed out the thing I wanted to point out though...the Decentralizers tag. Maybe more will come to mind later. If you don't mind, I'll have this little bugger tag along with you. I'll keep an eye on this one, feel free to ask questions.
Also, don't mention this to Saede (although she probably knows anyway) or anyone else, but most likely, you're being watched by at least one of my drones even if this one does not tag along.

So uhm...you go on exploring my current home, I'll tend to my business and try to see if I can free myself from it so I can say "Hello" proper.
Enjoy your stay, little perigrans.
« Last Edit: 06 Mar 2016, 16:36 by Ché Biko »
-OOChé

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
« Reply #54 on: 07 Mar 2016, 09:46 »

Saede nods to Utari. "Alright then, welcome to The Nexus." She pulls the glass door open with a flourish, revealing a wide atrium with water flowing down through glassed in fountains. The attrium is made entirely of glass, stone, and metal, creating an industrial high tech feeling space, one that could be found as easily on a planet as in a station.

"The government of Origin has five branches, the board of Coordinators form the executive branch, and The Nexus is the place we meet. We do all the day to day running of Origin and manage all of the general things required of a growing colony."

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #55 on: 07 Mar 2016, 12:53 »

"... It didn't take ... too much to guess, once I saw who manufactured this little thing. That, and the cause seemed like something that would interest you....

"Oh. ... yeah. I can see how something ... at all similar to the ... FIO would be pretty worrying."

She smiles a little.

"Thanks, Ché. I've ... kind of been missing seeing you about. Maybe we'll see you later. I'd ... like to, if it's possible.... Take care, okay? "

She unplugs from the little drone and waves to it before looking around to get her bearings and continuing on.

Utari Onzo

« Reply #56 on: 07 Mar 2016, 13:17 »

Utari takes a while to look around the interior as they walk in. He notes the make up and design of the attrium, before scanning his vision for any note worthy details. Signs of rank or uniform, Security Services, stand out pieces of artwork and the like.

"I see. And what are the other branches,  who runs them?"

Ché Biko

• Veteran
« Reply #57 on: 07 Mar 2016, 17:01 »

Things our visitors may have noticed:

More people than you would expect walk around barefoot. This is partly because of the relatively clean streets, but mainly because the use of glass is restricted. For example, it is not allowed to carry around drinks in glass bottles. (This is aproximately what I remember from what Saede told me, she may add to or correct this.)

The populace of Origin is remeniscent of the Federation's when it comes to diversity, although the composition of the mix is different. For one thing, you won't find AGI's ( artificial agents in humanoid bodies, with a human level of intelligence) walking around in the Fed (as that violates CONCORD Directive Omega 1-5), but you may have already spotted one of several thousand living in Origin. You may have also spotted Multiples (people like Saede who have multiple active clones) or Networkers (individuals who are linked together in a Pseudo-hivemind). You may also encounter a Techno-Psychologist enthusiasticly talking about one of Origin's other experimental cultures/societies.
-OOChé

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
« Reply #58 on: 10 Mar 2016, 14:03 »

Utari:
There are no guards in the Nexus building, in fact, visible security seems nonexistent, a strange thought in what should be one of the most secure structures in the system. There wasn't even a visible body scanner as they entered.

There are also no regular uniforms. The coordinators all wear whatever they want, and there's a great deal of variety just among the few people hurrying through the two story lobby to get to a meeting or wherever it is they're headed. The coordinators aids are interesting to see because some of the coordinators have uniforms for their specific aids. For instance, if Utari were to use the Origin localnet to identify one of the outfits of a passing secretary, he would discover that the matte black uniform marks the secretary as an aid to Traffic Control Coordinator Argus Mosakani, and the outfit is a stripped down version of the uniforms worn by the traffic control and customs officers that patrol local space in Origin alongside the more heavily armed capsuleer defense forces.

"The other four branches are the Digital Council, the Scientific Conclave, the Judicial Convention, and the Sentient Equilibrium. All the branches provide checks on the other branches, so no one branch gains too much power. The Digital council is a cellular democracy based partly on Gallentean democratic models and partly on tribal models, and they make the majority of the laws and legislation in place across Origin. The board of coordinators on the other hand handles most of the day to day operations in running the system. The Board isn't technically a democratic institution, so Origin isn't exactly a democracy, I'm just not entirely sold on the functionality of a pure democracy in practice. It takes a 90% majority vote to get anything done on the Board, and all our members are mindlinked into a network so we can argue with each other all the time." She chuckles at that, crossing the wide atrium towards a bank of escalators going up to the balcony that wraps around the ground floor atrium.

She points out people as they go along. "Thats Constance Rue, the Resurrection Coordinator." She points to a dark skinned and dark haired Intaki women with intensely green eyes and a dress of swirling greyscale patterns.

"And that's Indigo City Station Coordinator Althas Ananzine." She pointed to a late middle aged Gallente man with a receding grey hairline and long loose fitting robes in flamboyantly bright reds, oranges, and greens.

They near the top of the escalator and head across the wider second floor atrium for the elevator bank. "That's Emilia Kane, the Coordinator for Satyria, the largest city on Arboria." She points to a small Caldari woman of indeterminate age, with white hair, grey eyes, and a severely cut business suit.

Aria
As Che mentioned, there are many more people barefoot, undressed, or even outright naked, then one might expect from a similarly sized city. The dominant Gallentean liberal values are incredibly apparent, though the initial population mix resulted in a different result as compared to the Federation. There are more Matari then any other population group, so their culture is laid over the Gallentean morals in a fascinating way. Tribal leathers are popular clothing, as well as the more out there matari outfits that reveal large areas of the skin where tattoos have been placed. Even heading out into the Second District there is little sign of poverty, and there don't appear to be any beggers. There are however, various people standing at clipboards with datapads trying to convince people to chip in to help finance their various scientific, cultural, or economic schemes.
"Hey there!" A black haired man in a suit jacket and jeans says as Aria walks down the block towards him. He waves enthusiastically, gesturing to his datapad as he calls out "Do you have a moment to help support astronomy and space exploration?"

Utari Onzo

« Reply #59 on: 10 Mar 2016, 14:09 »

Utari frowns a little as he takes in the details. "I don't notice any security here, no guards, no police.... What do you do about law enforcement? I assume that's all covered by the Judicial Convention? How do the other two branches operate?"

He takes the time to note the individuals pointed out, for the most part passively following as Saede guides him along through the building.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7