Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The True Slaves are loyal, implant controlled slave troops of Sansha Kuvakei? Moar here.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Eurogamer interviews CCP Hellmar  (Read 3504 times)

Sakura Imoru

• Wetgraver
Eurogamer interviews CCP Hellmar
« on: 21 Oct 2011, 06:03 »

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-10-21-eurogamer-interviews-ccps-hilmar-petursson-interview

Very interesting interview, it seems he really learned his lesson. Also (finally) confirming that that leaked e-mail of his is legit.

But most interesting is his statement regarding the CSM:

Quote from: CCP Hellmar
The CSM has been under constant evolution based on what's going on in the current environment, what's going on with CCP and Eve, who's on the Council and all that. The CSM has helped greatly through the years in getting feedback for aspects of the game.

But some of my concerns right now relate to whether the CSM is maybe focused on a particular aspect of the game and I'm starting to get feedback from players that they worry the CSM is too pre-occupied by a certain playstyle. That might mean we may need to change the structure, but definitely the CSM has worked as a feedback tool greatly throughout the years. We will have them over at the end of the year, after everything that's gone on, and we will have a chance to talk about that. We'll just see where we are and take it from there.

So, what do you think about that?

Kiki Truzhari

• Dirty little space witch
  • Wetgraver
  • No Light! No Light!
Re: Eurogamer interviews CCP Hellmar
« Reply #1 on: 21 Oct 2011, 06:24 »

I continue to be cautiously optimistic. Its getting really hard not to throw caution into the wind whenever I look at that picture with the new engines and the new nebula and the ship skin though. I know putting all this out there is damage control, but, I mean, its really good damage control.
Prohasar man opre pirende - sa muro djiben semas opre chengende

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #2 on: 21 Oct 2011, 06:32 »

Reviewing the CSM and/or the mechanism it is selected can be good or bad depending on how it's done. Some way to "enforce a quota" for specific play styles, for example, could backfire. If they keep the selection process demographic, then block voting means that in order to get thru, you either need a good organization (alliance) behind you or quite a bit of e-celebrity. (Assuming the alliances stay interested of playing with the CSM.) Alternatively, there needs to be some benefit (say, a six pack of Quafe Zero or something) for voting in the CSM election to get the crowds moving.

On the whole, it's a really good interview.
« Last Edit: 21 Oct 2011, 06:34 by Mithfindel »

Jade Constantine

• Anarchist Adventurer
  • Omelette
  • Nothing ever burns down by itself
    • The Star Fraction Communications Portal
« Reply #3 on: 21 Oct 2011, 06:38 »

I'm beginning to think the Jita Protests might just have saved Eve :)

There are some arenas so corrupt that the only clean acts possible are nihilistic

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #4 on: 21 Oct 2011, 06:55 »

Oh, snap. Did he just say "Fuck Incarna"? After all these years? Hot damn...

We'll be going through some pains, I think, dropped player count, all that. But it looks as if it might be worth it in the long run.

Helen Ohmiras

« Reply #5 on: 21 Oct 2011, 07:43 »

Oh, snap. Did he just say "Fuck Incarna"? After all these years? Hot damn...
They've got the tech, it'll be there when they can devote the right resources to it.

Eurogamer: So you're back in the spaceship business?

Hilmar Pétursson: We are back in the spaceship business.
Best.  Quote.  Ever!

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #6 on: 21 Oct 2011, 07:53 »

Validating my addiction again aren't we CCP? Maybe I can switch to Alpo dinners to keep up my subscription...

Myrhial Arkenath

• Omelette
  • One does not simply walk into Curse.
    • Diary of a Pod Pilot
« Reply #7 on: 21 Oct 2011, 08:04 »

Interesting read. I just hope that for the next few months things run smoothly, because this whole emotional rollercoaster than has been the last few months is grating on me hard. Yes, we are getting shinies now, which were only possible due to the numbers of staff before, I'll stop being bitter when we get decent additions per patch with the new team numbers and the layoffs turn out to have been the last bump in the road. Which also means doing something about that horribad idea of PI, because that sticks out like a sore thumb amongst engine trails and nebulae and new ships >_< Can we, for once, have two steps forward without one step back, please?
« Last Edit: 21 Oct 2011, 08:05 by Myrhial Arkenath »

CEO of Ghost Festival :: Executor of Naraka.
Diary of a Pod Pilot

Helen Ohmiras

« Reply #8 on: 21 Oct 2011, 08:20 »

Can we, for once, have two steps forward without one step back, please?
I'd rather have one step forward and no steps back, because once they're able to do that, they should be able to take bigger steps and eventually more of them.

Gotta walk before you can run, as they say.  ;)

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #9 on: 21 Oct 2011, 15:51 »

I'm beginning to think the Jita Protests might just have saved Eve :)

Ain't that somethin?  8)

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #10 on: 21 Oct 2011, 17:10 »

I was under the impression that it was the mass unsubs, unless you're considering them the same event. I don't see a bunch of people shooting a monument for a day meaning much.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #11 on: 21 Oct 2011, 17:42 »

Mass Protests + "Watch what they do, not what they say" = Mass Unsubs

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Helen Ohmiras

« Reply #12 on: 21 Oct 2011, 18:03 »

The funny thing is it's definitely had an effect outside of EVE.  Developers working for Cryptic no longer say, "if you don't like it, you can vote with your wallets," on a daily basis on the STO forums.  8)

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #13 on: 21 Oct 2011, 18:40 »

The funny thing is it's definitely had an effect outside of EVE.  Developers working for Cryptic no longer say, "if you don't like it, you can vote with your wallets," on a daily basis on the STO forums.  8)
You mean they figured out that at some point the customer has other things they can spend money on?

Jade Constantine

• Anarchist Adventurer
  • Omelette
  • Nothing ever burns down by itself
    • The Star Fraction Communications Portal
« Reply #14 on: 21 Oct 2011, 19:23 »

I was under the impression that it was the mass unsubs, unless you're considering them the same event. I don't see a bunch of people shooting a monument for a day meaning much.

Yeah its the same thing really. Monoclegate/jita protests/mass unsubs/summer of discontent stuff. The people shooting the monument (of which I was proud to be one!) just made a nice news story for many sites to focus the wider issue.

There are some arenas so corrupt that the only clean acts possible are nihilistic
Pages: [1] 2