Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

In YC110 Mixed Metaphor corporation declared war to stop distribution of the NHB Ultra Happy Chip™? It didn't work out.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The Lost.  (Read 3559 times)

Lyn Farel

Re: The Lost.
« Reply #15 on: 07 Feb 2014, 12:54 »

Heh, that's probably true. But if roleplaying a capsuleer implies that, it's rather rubbish.

I suppose you can refer me to the sterling track record humanity has for not pursuing motivations like wealth, power, greed, or violence towards each other?

Oh but I was not referring to that.

More the way they act, talk, speak, smack... I hear and read immature players, not characters.

V. Gesakaarin

« Reply #16 on: 07 Feb 2014, 18:39 »

Heh, that's probably true. But if roleplaying a capsuleer implies that, it's rather rubbish.

I suppose you can refer me to the sterling track record humanity has for not pursuing motivations like wealth, power, greed, or violence towards each other?

Oh but I was not referring to that.

More the way they act, talk, speak, smack... I hear and read immature players, not characters.

I guess you can just turn local blink off and never tab into it. Or petition CCP for a "block all" function.

I find it pretty easy to either ignore stuff like that myself, and accept that there's probably very little between Roman graffiti saying, "Nero likes to touch the buttocks of men" and a capsuleer saying, "lel you're so ghey". Politeness is a social convention and it's not like a capsuleer has to be polite.

Desiderya

« Reply #17 on: 07 Feb 2014, 19:01 »

Welp, I don't think people acting immature, especially on emotional highs (or butthurt downs!) is something that is odd, because I'm pretty sure there's a lot of smacktalk involved when shit hits the fan even in our times. Imagine local smack in early 20th century trench warfare! ( additional historical source: clicky! )
Treat people like they are. Some people in local are even able to communicate in a mature and decent manner, you'd be surprised.
As far as a hypothetical "Spaceship captains are probably disciplined enough to not draw dicks on each others faces at the first opportunity"-argument goes I'd agree, but also would like to point out that people tend to act pretty derpy with their characters sometimes, and score equally low on the intelligence/discipline chart. Also most of the necessary decorum is usually forced upon someone by a rank structure and organisation - and as freelance capsuleers any obligation not outlined by CONCORD stuffs is entirely deliberate. Also we're all playing basically special unique snowflakes. ;)

Lyn Farel

« Reply #18 on: 08 Feb 2014, 04:04 »

Not, I wouldn't be really surprised as some nice capsuleer contacts I got were done purely out of a hazardous meeting with people in local. "Oh you too fight against pirates here ?" "Do you want to be part of our local intel channel ? We are a small group of industrial peeps trying to live in that high sec pocket in nullsec..."

As much as I can expect one or two dicks in every setting, or even a bit more considering they are all supposed to be afflicted by dementia, seeing that level everywhere is just plain immersion breaking to me. But that's not the most important. Block them, block them not, the true immersion killer are the simple names of their alliances, corps, or worse at times. The main issue is when comparing those with what we have in the lore, it is just rubbish as hell. Ridiculous. And if that is what capsuleers are supposed to be, looking like pre pubescent children insulting each other in the schoolyard and fighting like apes, well, that's not really engaging.

At least, it is true that the sheer level of organization and operational planning we see besides, either in null or not, tends to do a bit of damage control.

V. Gesakaarin

« Reply #19 on: 08 Feb 2014, 04:21 »

Sometimes when I watch my elected representatives in parliament I at times wonder if they really are pubescent children in the schoolyard insulting each other and fighting like apes.

As for the whole "capsuleer dementia" thing what exactly is being forgotten there?

Lyn Farel

« Reply #20 on: 08 Feb 2014, 04:57 »

Those parliament members don't spend their time doing that, and also don't spend their time walking in the street doing that.

I wil always find more genuine a portrayal of a politician done by someone like Alain Octirant / Hand Nardieu / Thiesant / whoever else than your average retarded joe capsuleer.
« Last Edit: 08 Feb 2014, 04:59 by Lyn Farel »

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #21 on: 08 Feb 2014, 05:17 »

As much as I can expect one or two dicks ...

Reading this thread at 6am. This is all I noticed. +1 to you Lyn, even though that isn't what you were talking about.

Dicks are awesome!!! wooo

Lyn Farel

« Reply #22 on: 08 Feb 2014, 05:26 »

Now I don't expect them anymore >.>

V. Gesakaarin

« Reply #23 on: 08 Feb 2014, 06:34 »

Those parliament members don't spend their time doing that, and also don't spend their time walking in the street doing that.

I wil always find more genuine a portrayal of a politician done by someone like Alain Octirant / Hand Nardieu / Thiesant / whoever else than your average retarded joe capsuleer.

The point is, there are some things in life as in Eve you just learn to shrug off.

I mean seriously, if you're complaining about loss of immersion because not 100% of people playing an MMO aren't roleplayers is like trying to push water up a hill. You either develop coping mechanisms or don't and if you don't then how is that the problem of other people?

That, and well, Eve isn't real.

Desiderya

« Reply #24 on: 08 Feb 2014, 06:54 »

On the other hand, dicks are real.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #25 on: 08 Feb 2014, 07:24 »

That, and well, Eve isn't real.

Zomg this shit is so real, like wow real.  :cowbell:

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #26 on: 08 Feb 2014, 07:41 »

Frankly, EVE has far less issues of OOCers breaking immersion than basically any other MMO out there, since at least in EVE OOCers can be rationalized ICly. And the way chat channels work limits their ability to grief you in RP (aside from by nonconsensual ship violence, but that's IC).

If you want immersion breaking, then try to RP in WoW or another avatar game while a bunch of OOCers are dancing naked on top of your character model, while spamming about how lame you are. EVE is nothing in comparison to that.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #27 on: 08 Feb 2014, 07:54 »

Agreed. The fact that random PvP violence is IC helps a great deal.

Desiderya

« Reply #28 on: 08 Feb 2014, 09:19 »

contemporary/Sci-Fi is generally a bit easier on immersion, as not every fantasy setting allows something simple as a chat system, or in in-game terms: Instant long-range communication. Additionally we're more at home with contemporary language and that dude posting ascii dicks in local is far less an anomaly than someone shouting ascii dicks while sieging your lord's castle.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #29 on: 08 Feb 2014, 10:49 »

Additionally we're more at home with contemporary language and that dude posting ascii dicks in local is far less an anomaly than someone shouting ascii dicks while sieging your lord's castle.

Ah ? It doesn't disturb you ? Personally I don't see much difference.

But yes, at least, it can be rationalized because it's Eve.

Frankly, EVE has far less issues of OOCers breaking immersion than basically any other MMO out there, since at least in EVE OOCers can be rationalized ICly. And the way chat channels work limits their ability to grief you in RP (aside from by nonconsensual ship violence, but that's IC).

If you want immersion breaking, then try to RP in WoW or another avatar game while a bunch of OOCers are dancing naked on top of your character model, while spamming about how lame you are. EVE is nothing in comparison to that.

That.
« Last Edit: 08 Feb 2014, 10:51 by Lyn Farel »
Pages: 1 [2] 3