Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Ammatars regard themselves as the true rulers of the Minmatars? Read more here.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The Lost.  (Read 3560 times)

Kopenhagen

• Wetgraver
    • Bitter Vet's Social Club
The Lost.
« on: 06 Feb 2014, 15:58 »

Not sure if this has been covered before. Just had this idea while I was doing some corporate writing.

The Crows is very much an RP corp, with a decent balance between channel RP and actual flying. As has been said many times, nothing says you are a fearsome combat pilot that actually being a fearsome combat pilot.

Anyway, I started thinking how Jude would define non-rpers. Sure, we all pretend to be pilots, so can all be said to RP. Then I realised, through pilot dementia, or simply having been a ship for so long, they might actually not be able to function in any other way.

That means that there are whole colonies of "Lost" ones out there.

This is not really covered by PF, and is actually not all that amazing since Jude pretty much chats to everyone.

Just some late night mental ramblings.

A man who does not test his shaving cream for poison each morning has lost the will to live.

Jace

• Veteran
Re: The Lost.
« Reply #1 on: 06 Feb 2014, 16:13 »

Yeah, people usually roll with "they've gone insane". The largest problem with that ICly are the RPers that are members of those alliances. So, what? You just went and voluntarily joined a group of mentally insane people? It's the biggest immersion-breaking thing for the game, obviously.

Vendrin

• Clonejack
« Reply #2 on: 07 Feb 2014, 04:09 »

Yeah, people usually roll with "they've gone insane". The largest problem with that ICly are the RPers that are members of those alliances. So, what? You just went and voluntarily joined a group of mentally insane people?

They are insane in the frighteningly competent sociopathic way which any intelligent capsuleer would do all they can to profit from, instead of tying themselves to the old hidebound empires. And if the insanity "spreads", well then maybe that's just the next step of capsuleer evolution. After all, we aren't human anymore, why try to stick to what humans consider sane?

Desiderya

« Reply #3 on: 07 Feb 2014, 04:57 »

Most of the time it's not a real problem?
I mean, talking smack is 99% of interaction in public settings, and people don't have to be insane just because they don't act like a grand admiral. They're freelancers after all. And oog talks can essentially be ignored.
I think voiding any credibility of non rpers in the game is not a healthy way to try and approach the issues.

PracticalTechnicality

« Reply #4 on: 07 Feb 2014, 05:08 »

I think painting vast swathes of the demographic as 'lesser than us' is not only unfair, but counter productive.  Their public presence may be obnoxious, but i am more than willing to assume that these capsuleers are clannish, have little time for their non-alliance peers and act accordingly.  Yes they are immature and childish, but the very success of such groups is an indicator to their efficacy in game, and thus, to my mind, in character. 

I am a fairly big proponent of Pf > in game activities > everything else with regards to how relevant it is to the fabric of my rp.  To write off these capsuleers as insane doesn't do the evident success they revel in any justice - not that I am suggesting we kowtow to that :)

Kopenhagen

• Wetgraver
    • Bitter Vet's Social Club
« Reply #5 on: 07 Feb 2014, 05:51 »

Aye, I do not discount anyone. I will happily interact with RPers and non RPers. It all fits into my view of the game and world.

My thought were more along the lines of having this little secret, among the capsuleers. They might not be more insane than any of us, they are just further down the path of what might be considered human. Less than us for that? Evidence would suggest otherwise.

A man who does not test his shaving cream for poison each morning has lost the will to live.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #6 on: 07 Feb 2014, 07:37 »

Interesting.

V. Gesakaarin

« Reply #7 on: 07 Feb 2014, 08:07 »

I've felt most of those considered "insane non-roleplayers" as in fact being far better at roleplaying the natural consequence, impacts, and motivations of actually being a capsuleer in New Eden than those that call themselves roleplayers. They're so good at roleplaying a capsuleer, that I don't think they even notice it themselves.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #8 on: 07 Feb 2014, 08:49 »

Heh, that's probably true. But if roleplaying a capsuleer implies that, it's rather rubbish.

Gaven Lok ri

• Omelette
« Reply #9 on: 07 Feb 2014, 09:40 »

Gaven mostly refers to the null types as the Barbarian Satrapies.

Rather than considering them insane, he considers them uncivilized, and assumes that there is some inherant curse in capsule technology that produces so many capsuleers that go wild.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #10 on: 07 Feb 2014, 09:48 »

[...] there is some inherant curse in capsule technology that produces so many capsuleers that go wild.

I'm not sure why, but this was the first thing that came to mind.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

V. Gesakaarin

« Reply #11 on: 07 Feb 2014, 10:02 »

Heh, that's probably true. But if roleplaying a capsuleer implies that, it's rather rubbish.

I suppose you can refer me to the sterling track record humanity has for not pursuing motivations like wealth, power, greed, or violence towards each other?

Gaven Lok ri

• Omelette
« Reply #12 on: 07 Feb 2014, 10:12 »

My favorite depressing human constant is militarism for its own sake.

Gaven is in part a study of that one :)

V. Gesakaarin

« Reply #13 on: 07 Feb 2014, 10:39 »

My favorite depressing human constant is militarism for its own sake.

Gaven is in part a study of that one :)

I think all the factions are an introspection in some of the best and worst humanity can offer, but the capsuleer is an introspection in human behaviour when it's divorced of any real consequence (even death).

Karmilla Strife

• Omelette
« Reply #14 on: 07 Feb 2014, 12:08 »

I think the antics that RPer characters involve themselves in argue that we're the insane ones. We're the one's constantly fretting about loyalties, npc standings, who's dating who, and showing off how crazy/edgy/intoxicated (or humble in Amarrian cases) we are on public channels.

The rest of the capsuleers (greater than 99.9%) shut up and get to work doing capsuleer stuff.
Pages: [1] 2 3