Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Vherokior tribe is a splinter tribe from the Starkmanir tribe? For more, read here.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: What other games are you playing?  (Read 6849 times)

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
Re: What other games are you playing?
« Reply #15 on: 14 Sep 2014, 10:48 »

Kerbal Space Program!

And 40k & WFB a bit more.

Nissui

« Reply #16 on: 14 Sep 2014, 11:11 »

...Skyrim, still. I finished my Dunmer playthrough around level 41, then uninstalled and reinstalled to get a realism/survival playthrough going with a Bosmer.

There has been... significantly more quicksaving and reloading.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #17 on: 14 Sep 2014, 11:42 »

Civ V, XCOM, Banner Saga, Bioshock Infinite, Really Big Sky, Skyrim, KotOR and DoW:II

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Lyn Farel

« Reply #18 on: 14 Sep 2014, 13:22 »

I wish I had a copy of Alpha Centauri that would play on my desktop. Still my favorite game ever.

http://www.gog.com/game/sid_meiers_alpha_centauri

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #19 on: 14 Sep 2014, 13:27 »

Or just wait for Civ: Beyond Earth. It looks bloody gorgeous at this stage.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #20 on: 14 Sep 2014, 14:07 »

Yeah, it is looking good. I am trying not to get my hopes up, but it is looking nice.

Vizage

• Egger
« Reply #21 on: 14 Sep 2014, 14:13 »

Neopets.

Utsukushi Shi

• Achur Temptress
  • Egger
  • Chuku Dansei
« Reply #22 on: 14 Sep 2014, 14:54 »

Damn that's pretty sweet Lyn. Thanks. And yeah the new Civ maybe when it comes out.
Sometimes one wants to get caught...

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #23 on: 14 Sep 2014, 15:01 »

I just need to restate my love for Metro: Last Light Redux. Massive upgrade from Metro 2033 and that was one of my favorite FPS games of all time (even if it had serious flaws, yes).

Bloody hell they've gone to great lengths to provide a seriously atmospheric experience. From skulking around on the surface, avoiding packs of horrors through taking out a Red station rambostyle, then creeping around terrified of spider creatures that are damn near impossible to kill if you can't get them on their backs or repel them with your light, all the while enveloped in a thick green fog of fuck knows what limiting your view and breaking out the lighter to burn off some cobwebs and OGOD THEY CAN RUN ON THE CEILING FUCK FUCK FUCK I CAN'T RELOAD WITHOUT BOTH HANDS FUCK THAT COBWEB IS SLOWING ME DOOOOOHGOD THERE'S THREE OF THEM where'd the other two go I can't see with all this mess on my gasmask HAHA RELOADED HAVE SOME OF THAT oh they hid in the holes again I hate this game so much please just let me get to the generator without needing a new pair of pants please... oh, good. The filter is running out and I don't have a spare.

The game has flaws, there's no denying that, but god I love it. I don't even mind the linear nature of the game, as I still have a lot to explore and keep finding myself back where I started as I've gotten turned around and gone back through an alternate route. No hand-holding or waypoints, just a minor note scribbled on your notepad and everything else is up to you.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #24 on: 14 Sep 2014, 16:10 »

It is... different.

Even more than how Civ 3 is different from Civ 5, at the very least.

Tbh i'm not sold yet on Beyond Earth. Compared to a giant like SMAC, they will have a hard time to even match it, but I think that's not their goal to begin with. They just went for something different and much more accessible.

But there is a lot of things I either don't really like or just can't think anything about in Beyond Earth. It's too... gimmicky/casual. One of the flaws of Firaxis in all their recent titles imo.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #25 on: 14 Sep 2014, 16:13 »

It is... different.

Even more than how Civ 3 is different from Civ 5, at the very least.

Tbh i'm not sold yet on Beyond Earth. Compared to a giant like SMAC, they will have a hard time to even match it, but I think that's not their goal to begin with. They just went for something different and much more accessible.

But there is a lot of things I either don't really like or just can't think anything about in Beyond Earth. It's too... gimmicky/casual. One of the flaws of Firaxis in all their recent titles imo.

SMAC is so old they do not even have to think about it. It is not a giant, it is a fossil.

Edit: In addition, despite its critical success SMAC was sold the least out of all of the Civilization games. So in the sense of a legacy, also not a problem. If they named the new game after it, then perhaps a comparison would be in order. But as it is, they do not have to be worried.
« Last Edit: 14 Sep 2014, 16:19 by Jace »

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #26 on: 14 Sep 2014, 16:38 »

Yeah, the nostalgia goggles, dey do nahthing. It was an amazing game for its time, but tried it recently and it's frankly not all that good anymore. The UI is so dated and fiddly it's not even funny. I'll take this spiritual successor any day of the week, from what I've seen.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #27 on: 14 Sep 2014, 16:46 »

Yeah, the nostalgia goggles, dey do nahthing. It was an amazing game for its time, but tried it recently and it's frankly not all that good anymore. The UI is so dated and fiddly it's not even funny. I'll take this spiritual successor any day of the week, from what I've seen.

One of the nice things about the new one is that the devs are not lying to everyone and claiming it is something it is not. They have said in all the interviews that yes, the mechanics and themes are very similar to the other recent Civ games - hell, it has 'Civilization:' in the title. The setting switch allows for different tech mechanics and different starting mechanics, etc. They are not trying to claim anything revolutionary here. If you enjoy Civ and want more meaningful options when you start the game, a different fun setting, and a non-linear tech system - then it will interest you.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #28 on: 14 Sep 2014, 17:07 »

Exactly. I think this'll scratch all my "just one more turn" itches, while retaining far more re-playability than the other Civ games. And of course, OMFG SPAES!

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #29 on: 14 Sep 2014, 17:13 »

Saaaaaaaaapce.

Edits: Actually, talking about all these 4X games makes me think some of us should swap Steamy friendships and possibly 4X each other in the face.
« Last Edit: 14 Sep 2014, 18:03 by Jace »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5