Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That 'Ancestors choke!' is a Caldari expression of disbelief or astonishment?

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Working abroad  (Read 2032 times)

Lyn Farel

Re: Working abroad
« Reply #15 on: 26 Aug 2014, 13:07 »

Tbh if there wasn't that language thing I would come right away to Scandinavia.

Heh, now I want to go back to see Norway again. :/

Natalcya Katla

• Captain farkin' Cardboard
  • Omelette
« Reply #16 on: 26 Aug 2014, 18:01 »

If you do visit (and visit Bergen specifically), let me know.  If you don't mind sleeping on the couch of a small apartment, you're welcome to crash at my place, too. Should shave quite a bit off the cost of the stay. :)

By the way, I wouldn't worry too much about the language thing, not right away at any rate. If you speak English half as well as you write it, you'll be able to make yourself understood well enough.
Ava Starfire > There is evil.
Ava Starfire > Outright evil.
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!

Lyn Farel

« Reply #17 on: 27 Aug 2014, 06:01 »

Ah Bergen was a nice little city !

Quintrala

• Speed Fairy
  • Wetgraver
  • Summer is coming
    • Speed Fairy Blog
« Reply #18 on: 27 Aug 2014, 21:02 »

Heya!

I would like to give another perspective... I do not know if it is your case but if you have a spouse/partner, moving sometimes becomes a different issue for you both. Tagging along while you are on assignment is not actually a job for her (him) and it may be the case she has left quite a bit of her life back home. It is wonderful when you help her complete the new one!

Me, I have given up job, family and my own business to follow. I have found myself in a new country with different language and customs, with people that can be aggressive as often as they are friendly. The most difficult part was the beginning: THERE WAS FREAKING NOTHING TO DO, no work permit, no friends, no income, no idea.  :bash: Having a hand in choosing our place (read, choosing) was critical in keeping myself sane for the first aeon or two: something I felt comfortable with and acted as my own home office, easy access to my people & places and in short, gave me a short-term sense of purpose. My place.

Then, making friends is important. In my experience, the local expat community can be a huge win - most of my early friends were from abroad, had gone through similar experiences and could advise or help; they also became the root of my social network. Also, one of the activities that does help with purpose and friends is taking classes (which one should consider when unemployed anyway). In my case language lessons, then some professional certifications -keep in mind that your spouse's professional situation may not be as settled as yours is.

Eventually friends were made and routines settled; I was able to work legally after a couple of years and now am a few months into setting my own business; I can curse like the locals. I am happy. But I am aware that this is so only because my husband and I planned the move together. :cube:

One of the resources I have used in the past is the awesome Expatica guide - there is not one for every country, but some of the articles are general enough to help plan for anywhere.

Stop trailing in your spouse's wake
Six job-search tips for expatriate spouses

Anyway, even if you are moving by yourself I hope that is a good read. Take care and have fun!

Q

Lyn Farel

« Reply #19 on: 28 Aug 2014, 10:01 »

Yeah that helps a lot.

How do you make contact with local expat communities ? Are they so close knit so that there is one obvious to meet ?

Quintrala

• Speed Fairy
  • Wetgraver
  • Summer is coming
    • Speed Fairy Blog
« Reply #20 on: 01 Sep 2014, 21:14 »

Getting in touch with the local expats (doh)? It depends...

The job expat. Some come from your expat job as diplo or corporate. Or guerilla. They are all in the same boat and come from all different places.

The school expat. School or classes - especially language lessons for those learning the local speak, these are full of expats. International schools if you have a kid or know someone who does.

The expat homie. Some expats are from back home: like when your cousin back there knows someone who moved over here years ago and is yearning for anyone, ANYONE to talk to in her own language and accent. (By the way, this is where you get the best tips for adapting, someone with the same background as you, and has seen the same things you are about to face. These, in time, become your honorary family.)

The expat watering hole. If you are lucky you may end at a place that crawls with expats. Like a city with 30% outsider population. Or the local Irish pub. Or a genuine ethnic restaurant. I mean, "where do you come from" is a frequent question but in these places it is two-way.

The expat link. Yes, there are expat groups in Linkedin, like "English in New York" or so. Very convenient. Depends on how the group is run...

The Mother of All Expats. You may want to try your own Embassy or Consulate, they always send you useful information and there are benefits to registering (get invited to the parties, dahling). Or if you feel daring, go to someone else's Consulate and ask :P You can always pretend you want to travel there!

Bonne chance,

Q

Pages: 1 [2]