Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Blood Raiders are a sect of the Sani Sabik who spend their lives in space hunting down and harvesting non-believers for their blood? Read more here!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Where have the Brits not invaded?  (Read 9661 times)

Lyn Farel

Re: Where have the Brits not invaded?
« Reply #30 on: 10 Dec 2013, 14:37 »

Meh. You have sources for your crap medieval steel ? And how it made arrows suddenly capable or piercing it ? It's not even brought up as an argument in any article I have read, so... That sounds a little bit irrelevant to me...

I found that however :

Archery was described by contemporaries as ineffective against plate armour in the Battle of Neville's Cross (1346), the siege of Bergerac (1345), and the Battle of Poitiers (1356); such armour became available to European knights of fairly modest means by the late 14th century, though never to all soldiers in any army. Strickland and Hardy suggest that "even at a range of 240 yards heavy war arrows shot from bows of poundages in the mid- to upper range possessed by the Mary Rose bows would have been capable of killing or severely wounding men equipped with armour of wrought iron. Higher-quality armour of steel would have given considerably greater protection, which accords well with the experience of Oxford's men against the elite French vanguard at Poitiers in 1356, and des Ursin's statement that the French knights of the first ranks at Agincourt, which included some of the most important (and thus best-equipped) nobles, remained comparatively unhurt by the English arrows."

The crap quality referred to here is not steel quality, but armour quality. Iron armour =/= steel armour. Also, the thickness played a part, though apparently even thin steel plate armours were hardly pierced by those arrows.

I don't believe in the excuse of poor material (especially for plate armours) or gravity suddenly making arrows "piercing" (they will still fly a lot slower than just after when being fired, and are too light to be of any harming effect like a proper rock or mace).

I'll just leave that here even if you probably already have read them all. Make of it what you will...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_longbow

English use of longbows was effective against the French during the Hundred Years' War, particularly at the start of the war in the battles of Sluys (1340), Crécy (1346), and Poitiers (1356), and perhaps most famously at the Battle of Agincourt (1415). They were less successful after this, with longbowmen having their lines broken at the Battle of Verneuil (1424), and being completely routed at the Battle of Patay (1429) when they were charged before they had set up their defensive position

In an early modern test by Saxton Pope, a direct hit from a steel bodkin point penetrated Damascus mail armour.

A 2006 test was made by Matheus Bane using a 75 lbf (330 N) draw (at 28") bow, shooting at 10 yards; according to Bane's calculations, this would be approximately equivalent to a 110 lbf (490 N) bow at 250 yards.[31] Measured against a replica of the thinnest contemporary "Jack coat" armour, a 905 grain needle bodkin and a 935 grain curved broadhead penetrated over 3.5 inches (89 mm). ("Jack coat" armour could be up to twice as thick as the coat tested; in Bane's opinion such a thick coat would have stopped bodkin arrows but not the cutting force of broadhead arrows.) Against "high quality riveted maille", the needle bodkin and curved broadhead penetrated 2.8". Against a coat of plates, the needle bodkin achieved 0.3" penetration. The curved broadhead did not penetrate but caused 0.3" of deformation of the metal. Results against plate armour of "minimum thickness" (1.2mm) were similar to the coat of plates, in that the needle bodkin penetrated to a shallow depth, the other arrows not at all. In Bane's view, the plate armour would have kept out all the arrows if thicker or worn with more padding.

a Primitive Archer test which demonstrated that a longbow could penetrate a plate armour breastplate. However, the Primitive Archer test used a 160 lbf (710 N) longbow at very short range, generating 160 joules (vs. 73 for Bane and 80 for Williams), so probably not representative of battles of the time.

Modern tests and contemporary accounts agree therefore that well-made plate armour could protect against longbows. However this did not necessarily make the longbow ineffective; thousands of longbowmen were deployed in the English victory at Agincourt against plate armoured French knights in 1415. Clifford Rogers has argued that while longbows might not have been able to penetrate steel breastplates at Agincourt they could still penetrate the thinner armour on the limbs. Most of the French knights advanced on foot but, exhausted by walking across wet muddy terrain in heavy armour enduring a "terrifying hail of arrow shot", they were overwhelmed in the melee.
Less heavily armoured soldiers were more vulnerable than knights. For example, enemy crossbowmen were forced to retreat at Crecy when deployed without their protecting pavises. Horses were generally less well protected than the knights themselves; shooting the French knights' horses from the side (where they were less well armoured) is described by contemporary accounts of the Battle of Poitiers, and at Agincourt John Keegan has argued that the main effect of the longbow would have been in injuring the horses of the mounted French knights.

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arc_long_anglais (sorry if this one is not in english but it's a stared article)

En fonction de l’effet recherché, l’archer a le choix entre plusieurs types de flèches. Les plus fréquemment utilisées sont les bodkin pointues de section carrée, particulièrement perforantes et faciles à produire. Les flèches ayant une énergie cinétique modérée (comparativement à celle du projectile d’une arme à feu), elles ne génèrent ni effet de choc, ni effet de cavitation. En revanche, du fait de leur grande longueur, elles ont une bonne densité sectionnelle et donc un grand pouvoir perforant15. Dès lors, ce type de flèche est utilisé à courte distance contre l’infanterie lourde ou la cavalerie. Ces flèches, très efficaces contre les cottes de mailles, peuvent cependant ricocher sur les armures de plates si elles n’arrivent pas perpendiculairement à la surface15. Pour un tir à moins de 60 mètres, elles peuvent s’enfoncer de plusieurs centimètres, causant des blessures plus ou moins graves15.

Most frequently used : spiked and squared bodkins, with extreme piercing properties and easy to produce. They have a moderate kinetic energy (compared to a firearm) and generate NO shock effect (so nothing from gravity or similar physical effects) and no cavitation effect (english sp?). Big lenght and small head means high cutting density (translation ?). Was used at short range against heavy infantry or heavy cavalry. Very effective against mail, will bounce off on plate armours if they do not come at 90°. If shot at less than 60m, they CAN (not WILL) pierce through several centimeters, causing more or less severe injuries.

C’est particulièrement à la tête qu’une pénétration de profondeur limitée est dévastatrice. Cette partie du corps est cependant bien protégée par le profil des bassinets de l’époque, étudiés pour dévier les lances. Les autres points vulnérables du combattant sont le cou et les membres, où passent des troncs artériels susceptibles d’êtres sectionnés. Pour cette raison, les armures des chevaliers ont progressivement évolué au cours de la guerre de Cent Ans, recourant de plus en plus à l'usage de plaques. Les capacités de perforation peuvent être améliorées par lubrification des pointes à la cire, ce procédé permettant aussi de limiter l’oxydation de l’acier (l’utilisation de ce procédé par les archers anglais est probable mais non vérifiée)16.
Contre l’infanterie peu blindée ou les chevaux, les flèches à pointe large ou à barbillon sont largement plus dévastatrices, même à longue distance.

Very effective on the head, but that part of the body is well protected by bascinets, designed to deflect lances. Other vulnerable parts are the neck and arms, where arteries can be severed. With that in mind armours of knights have evolved during the 100y war, using more and more plates. Perforating power can be upgraded by lubricating the head with wax (but its us is not verified). Against weaker armour or horses, non piercing arrows were used (like barbed heads) since they were dramatically lethal even at long range.

La portée de l’arc long (efficace sur les combattants faiblement protégés ou les chevaux à 300 mètres), oblige l’adversaire à attaquer. Cela permet de l’attirer en terrain défavorable et de le contraindre à attaquer une position fortifiée au préalable : à Crécy l’armée anglaise se retranche sur un monticule, à Poitiers derrière des haies, à Azincourt derrière un terrain embourbé. Les archers disposent des pieux devant leurs lignes de manière à briser les assauts. Leurs arrières ou leurs flancs sont couverts par des chariots22 ou des obstacles quasi infranchissables pour de la cavalerie lourde (rivières, forêts, …).

Range of longbows forces the adversary to attack. This allows to attract him into unfavorable terrain and force him to assault fortified positions : at Crécy the english army is entrenched on a mound, at Poitiers behind hedges, at Azincourt behind a muddy/swampy terrain. Pikes are erected in front of archers to break charges, and flanks are protected by chariots or natural obstacles for heavy cavalry (rivers, forests...).

À longue distance (de 100 à 300 mètres), on utilise des flèches à empennage court et à pointe plate ou « en barbillon », plus dévastatrices sur les combattants peu protégés. Les archers sont utilisés par centaines, voire par milliers (6 000 à Crécy ou Verneuil, 7 000 à Azincourt23). Cela permet de faire pleuvoir des nuées de flèches sur l’adversaire (72 flèches à la minute par mètre carré17) et compense l’imprécision du tir à pareille distance. Ceci est rendu possible grâce à l’extraordinaire cadence de tir de l’arc long (les arbalètes, qui ont un pouvoir perforant supérieur sur les armures de plates mais une cadence bien inférieure, ne peuvent produire une telle pluie de flèches). À Crécy les 6 000 arbalétriers génois engagés par les Français doivent ainsi se replier rapidement24. D’autre part, une telle pluie de traits désorganise considérablement les charges de cavalerie en blessant les chevaux (non protégés au début de la guerre de Cent Ans) qui peuvent chuter, s’emballer ou désarçonner leur cavalier (la chute du cavalier étant aggravée par le poids de l’armure)25. La densité de flèches plantées dans le sol est par ailleurs telle qu’elle gêne la progression des assauts (à la Bataille de Nájera, il est impossible de marcher au travers du champ de flèches17). Les cadavres de chevaliers et surtout de leurs chevaux sont des obstacles qui gênent la progression des lignes d’assaut, tout comme les chevaux emballés qui fuient en sens inverse et désorganisent les charges26. Pour obtenir un tir continu, les archers sont déployés sur trois doubles rangées qui vont alternativement se ravitailler en flèches17.
À plus courte distance, le tir se fait de façon moins parabolique, avec des projectiles plus perforants (pointe bodkin) et plus précis (empennage long). Les archers sont placés sur les ailes afin que leur tirs ne ricochent pas sur les armures de plates des cavaliers profilées pour dévier les flèches et lances venant de face. Ils sont disposés en V ou en croissant plutôt qu’en ligne, toujours pour obtenir un feu croisé plus efficace contre les armures de plates27.
Lorsque la charge de cavalerie arrive au contact, les montures viennent s’empaler dans les pieux disposés devant les archers (calthops). Ces derniers sont de plus en plus polyvalents au fur et à mesure de la guerre de Cent Ans et sont équipés d’épées ou de haches, pour achever les chevaliers désarçonnés, engoncés dans leurs lourdes armures28.

Too lazy to translate, but again it's mostly about doctrines and tactics allowed by the longbow rather than the power of the longbow itself.

I'm also too lazy to quote all the additional material that can be found on various battles of that time...

Vic Van Meter

• Omelette
« Reply #31 on: 10 Dec 2013, 15:49 »

Since the era of machine warfare essentially started when the English used their archers to defeat French cavalry.

Not really... It's definitely not the longbow that allowed that, especially since any bow was properly unable to penetrate any plate armour worn at that time by all the french knights and nobles. The only instance where it was capable of it was when the arrow was fired properly straight frontal (90°) and then was able to pierce something like 1 cm... Far from lethal. Knights also used to protect themselves with bascinets which properly negated most projectiles hitting the head. Thus, to actually kill a knight, they had to dismount them and kill them on the ground.

What made the longbow successful at the beginning of the hundred year war was poor doctrines where knights laughed at Henry V army almost exclusively composed of longbowmen. With their previous experiences against archers in mind, they considered them like mosquito bites, with reason. The first major battle at Crécy was lost not because of the longbow, but because Philip did not even wait for his army to be ready to attack, and also due to the fact that they used crossbows trying to outrange longbows... Agincourt was not better since all the knights just ran into a corridor circled by longbows, happily firing at them while they were unable to do anything. Technically, the english army was not better, but poorer. Doctrines and morale wise, though, it was the contrary.

One just has to look how knights charges just slaughtered longbowmen lines in the following battles when the tide turned.

What signed the death of knights was probably more the invention of the crossbow, and especially the arquebus and gunpowder. Though it would be more accurate to say that it caused the end of heavy cavalry in plate armour. Knights (or chivalry) which was before all an ideal and a warrior code came to an end with the arrival of moral relativism and humanism.

Before I go on, you're taking sources that were contemporary to the 15th century, well after the era of machine warfare started.  Before I start going into changes in the processes of warfare during that time and steel production advances, are you sure you aren't just confused about the dates and the definition of machine warfare?

Essentially, the idea that the Hundred Years War was won by a technological advantage and not soldiers at arms meant that knights lost their unique status as combatants on the battlefield and the idea of common soldiery being more important than the knights in armor is essentially what ended the age of chivalry.  That was all done by the late 14th century.  The 15th was completely different.  Hell, that's when they started effectively using cannons.

I can describe either period and why chivalry ended then, including why steel was crap (not iron, steel) in the 14th century.  Once you're into the 15th, you're in another reality of warfare.  Either way, I can tell you what you don't understand.

I actually looked into that 2006 study, though, for your benefit.  It definitely stated that they calculated primarily steel thickness, not steel quality.  I can definitely tell you all about why steel quality is far more important than steel quantity, especially back then, and what technology they had.  But I want to make sure I know what you're confused about before I start off on a tangent explaining something.  You may just be confused about the dates.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #32 on: 10 Dec 2013, 17:20 »

You know what ? Don't bother.  :bash:

Just give me your sources and i'll read them since all my 81 references are obviously a vogue of the nineties...

Vic Van Meter

• Omelette
« Reply #33 on: 10 Dec 2013, 17:47 »

Just give me your sources and i'll read them since all my 81 references are obviously a vogue of the nineties...

There's no need to get touchy, I'm asking a legitimate question and I'm really not being patronizing.  If you're talking about the 15th century, you're talking about the era where blast furnaces were developed, pauldrons were worn, and the French used cannons to fight the Brits.  If you look through the references you just put up, you'll see that all of them talked about the longbow becoming less effective in the mid-1400s, which is the middle of the 15th century.  And you wouldn't be the first person who thought the 15th century began in the 1500s.

The reason I'm asking is that a lot of my sources are my college textbooks and accumulated journals on various subjects, not all of which are on pretty medieval battle texts.  To explain why arrows work better fired in a parabollic arc rather than a straight line in a volley, I'll have to start sending you links to ballistics and physics texts.  To talk about steel and ferrous metallurgy, we're talking about my structural steel histories and manuals.  If you want social histories of Europe, I've got a few shelves of those.

But if you're just mixing up the era of machine warfare with the era of chivalric warfare, there's no need to send you bibliographical information on my entire bookshelf.  Especially since I don't think you'll want to read all of them.

Trust me, I've seen people get pissed and fly off the hinge before.  Your own sources are telling you that they were a devastatingly effective weapon straight into the beginning of the 15th century.  If you want to know why, I can tell you or send you the information.  I'm not sure why you're arguing since you essentially bolstered my point with most of them.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #34 on: 10 Dec 2013, 21:18 »

According to contemporary sources, arrows were also very effective against lightly armored joints...

Vic Van Meter

• Omelette
« Reply #35 on: 10 Dec 2013, 21:46 »

According to contemporary sources, arrows were also very effective against lightly armored joints...

:lol:

Seriously though, longbows were crazy.  They can generally tell which skeletons they dig up were commoners from the 13th and 14th centuries.  Their spines are literally twisted from pulling those bows repeatedly.

But the most awesome era of warfare were the giant pike formations of the late 15th and early 16th centuries, the Swiss and German Landsknechte.  If the longbow was the weapon that began the end of chivalric warfare, the pike formation was the final nail in the coffin.  It was essentially impervious to anything mounted or on foot save for an archery line and, later, a firing line.

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #36 on: 10 Dec 2013, 22:26 »

Didn't it used to be that when you field your massed longbow formation, you aren't trying to actually kill the knight, you are trying to cripple the horses?

That way the poor guys in the steel shell will trip the other steel-shelled guys behind them and force them to slog through the open field while being pelted by large numbers of arrows repeatedly. At this point, RNG is on the longbowmen side.
« Last Edit: 10 Dec 2013, 22:28 by Elmund Egivand »
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Caellach Marellus

• CONCORD Poster Boy.
  • Omelette
  • Beware of Geeks bearing GIFs.
    • The Goblin's Cave
« Reply #37 on: 10 Dec 2013, 23:03 »

I always thought the point of longbow vs the Knight charge was to kill the steed, unhorse the rider and take advantage of bulk and weight of his armour trying to get up (assuming the fall didn't break his neck, arms or legs in which case free kill) by being able to wail on him in melee.

That said, the British Empire didn't really kick in till the gunpowder era. Years of fighting people who threw spears and shot bows taught us how to beat them. Unfortunately as said people had also developed gunpowder, we decided to take our advanced technology and beat on people still using such antiquated methods instead. It was a perfectly flawless plan that NEVER WENT WRONG.
"I blame society for anything I've said that you disagree with."

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #38 on: 11 Dec 2013, 01:35 »

I always thought the point of longbow vs the Knight charge was to kill the steed, unhorse the rider and take advantage of bulk and weight of his armour trying to get up (assuming the fall didn't break his neck, arms or legs in which case free kill) by being able to wail on him in melee.

That said, the British Empire didn't really kick in till the gunpowder era. Years of fighting people who threw spears and shot bows taught us how to beat them. Unfortunately as said people had also developed gunpowder, we decided to take our advanced technology and beat on people still using such antiquated methods instead. It was a perfectly flawless plan that NEVER WENT WRONG.

And this is why repeater firearms are invented.
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Vic Van Meter

• Omelette
« Reply #39 on: 11 Dec 2013, 07:27 »

And this is why repeater firearms are invented.

In a way it is, but people were also armoring horses by that point.  That said, horse armor failed just the same as human armor did.  Until the invention of processes in the 15th century that made carbonizing steel a LOT more efficient, the longbow could drill right through a steel plate.

If you look at where a bullet hits modern steel, you'll see that it isn't strong because steel itself is unbreakable (in fact, there are a lot of harder metals out there) but because it bends.  The dents you see in the plate is the steel being bent.  When it is, instead of simply using raw strength to maintain its integrity it deflects and disperses the energy over a longer period.  The longer the dent without being penetrated, the better the steel disperses the energy.  Medieval steel didn't exactly have our modern, newfangled methods of forming near-perfect carbon crystal structures in steel.  It didn't deflect nearly as much before it gave, more cracker than taffy.  That was why the weapon was so effective during the Hundred Years War.

After Agincourt, the French regained their holdings with larger amounts of better steel, better armor covering their joints, and the introduction of cannon as effective weaponry.  It was really the Hundred Years War that killed the idea of a landholding knight as a main battle tank of its day, since at that point we entered an arms race of weapon and armor production instead of martial skill training as the main reason battles could be won.  Knights could be killed en masse by average men-at-arms and peasants with new weapons.

By the 16th century, we were completely into early small arms and pike formations.  The horse-mounted knight was reduced to just another piece of a larger, more foot-centric army of mercenaries.

But before the idea of the longbow volley, knights were almost unstoppable by common people.  It's harder than it looks to bring down an armored rider on an armored horse in single combat.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #40 on: 11 Dec 2013, 07:43 »

There's no need to get touchy, I'm asking a legitimate question and I'm really not being patronizing.  If you're talking about the 15th century, you're talking about the era where blast furnaces were developed, pauldrons were worn, and the French used cannons to fight the Brits.  If you look through the references you just put up, you'll see that all of them talked about the longbow becoming less effective in the mid-1400s, which is the middle of the 15th century.  And you wouldn't be the first person who thought the 15th century began in the 1500s.

The reason I'm asking is that a lot of my sources are my college textbooks and accumulated journals on various subjects, not all of which are on pretty medieval battle texts.  To explain why arrows work better fired in a parabollic arc rather than a straight line in a volley, I'll have to start sending you links to ballistics and physics texts.  To talk about steel and ferrous metallurgy, we're talking about my structural steel histories and manuals.  If you want social histories of Europe, I've got a few shelves of those.

But if you're just mixing up the era of machine warfare with the era of chivalric warfare, there's no need to send you bibliographical information on my entire bookshelf.  Especially since I don't think you'll want to read all of them.

Trust me, I've seen people get pissed and fly off the hinge before.  Your own sources are telling you that they were a devastatingly effective weapon straight into the beginning of the 15th century.  If you want to know why, I can tell you or send you the information.  I'm not sure why you're arguing since you essentially bolstered my point with most of them.

Well it sure sounds patronizing, but whatever.

The problem is not that I disagree with everything you say, the problem is that you do not want to acknowledge facts that I clearly exposed and that played a major role in the issue. I understand your position better now, but obviously you are just assuming that I am a retard that missed basic school education.

Vic Van Meter

• Omelette
« Reply #41 on: 11 Dec 2013, 08:27 »

Well it sure sounds patronizing, but whatever.

The problem is not that I disagree with everything you say, the problem is that you do not want to acknowledge facts that I clearly exposed and that played a major role in the issue. I understand your position better now, but obviously you are just assuming that I am a retard that missed basic school education.

No, believe me, I'm not.  I don't have time to be patronizing and, if I really thought you were an idiot, I wouldn't try to explain it and see what you mean.  If I'd thought you were really a retard, I wouldn't even begin to explain what you wanted to know.

Hence the date thing.  Machine warfare was in full swing by the 15th century and that was well after most historians recognize the age of chivalry to have ended.  The problem is that I've heard a lot of people say that longbows weren't able to pierce period plate armor from that age, which simply isn't true.  That was based on a lot of people using modern steel to run backyard experiments in the 90s and early aughts.  When you use guild techniques from the time, you're not talking about the same kind of steel.  It's not even the same kind of steel they were using in 1450.  The longbow volley touched off a massive arms race that essentially killed chivalry as the world knew it.  The British essentially cheated.

Believe me, I write these posts in about 10-15 minutes at work and while I'm doing other things.  I really don't have the time to score internet points and I honestly don't care much about them.  That's probably why I never did get into the PVP thing as much.  If you think I'm being insulting, you've probably not really understood my mindset.

I don't bother talking to people I don't like or value the opinions of, and I don't tend to comment on things I'm not interested in.  I have an economy of concentration to maintain.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #42 on: 11 Dec 2013, 14:00 »

Ok. You keep talking about steel quality, steel quality, steel quality and steel quality, and I believe you that it probably played a role since you seem to be knowledgeable on the matter of steel carbonizing. You seem to assume that I said it is irrelevant. I'm ready to admit that it played a role, much like doctrines, tactics, and everything else induced by the emergence of the longbow played a role. All sources and documentation are rather clear on this, good steel or bad steel. Even in the hypothesis of bad steel in the early war (14th), longbows were not the best weapons to use against plate armour. Crossbows - pure products of your machine warfare - were a lot more efficient, but they suffered from other cons.

In any case, as the war progressed, counters were progressively found, like better steel, better protection either on limbs or horses, changing tactics, doctrines, and finally gunpowder. That's honestly all I had to say besides addressing the point and you continue to think that steel quality = everything...

If you are not interested in replying to my points as well, I don't really see why I should continue in all honesty... Or just say right now that all these sources and common History are de facto wrong... Longbow was certainly not an unstoppable killer at the beginning despite what it seemed to be, and was neither a useless weapon at the end.

Anyway, the real point was that the longbow brought chivalry to and end. Which I find rather fallacious. To begin with, chivalry is a code of honour and conduct, not a weapon. Chivalry was put to an end by the emergence of humanism and rationalism during the Renaissance. Unless you contest those sources too of course...

Knights (heavy plated cavalry) and late heavy infantry were more or less brought to and end by weapons, yes, though I think it is rather illogical to think that the longbow was such a weapon, since they were able to protect themselves better and better over the years, making the longbow less and less effective. Why would they have stopped using heavy plated armour if it eventually worked ?

What brought them to a stop was the appearance of firearms and the heavy use of more modern pikemen (like at Marignan).

Vic Van Meter

• Omelette
« Reply #43 on: 11 Dec 2013, 16:32 »

Ok. You keep talking about steel quality, steel quality, steel quality and steel quality, and I believe you that it probably played a role since you seem to be knowledgeable on the matter of steel carbonizing. You seem to assume that I said it is irrelevant. I'm ready to admit that it played a role, much like doctrines, tactics, and everything else induced by the emergence of the longbow played a role. All sources and documentation are rather clear on this, good steel or bad steel. Even in the hypothesis of bad steel in the early war (14th), longbows were not the best weapons to use against plate armour. Crossbows - pure products of your machine warfare - were a lot more efficient, but they suffered from other cons.

In any case, as the war progressed, counters were progressively found, like better steel, better protection either on limbs or horses, changing tactics, doctrines, and finally gunpowder. That's honestly all I had to say besides addressing the point and you continue to think that steel quality = everything...

If you are not interested in replying to my points as well, I don't really see why I should continue in all honesty... Or just say right now that all these sources and common History are de facto wrong... Longbow was certainly not an unstoppable killer at the beginning despite what it seemed to be, and was neither a useless weapon at the end.

Anyway, the real point was that the longbow brought chivalry to and end. Which I find rather fallacious. To begin with, chivalry is a code of honour and conduct, not a weapon. Chivalry was put to an end by the emergence of humanism and rationalism during the Renaissance. Unless you contest those sources too of course...

Knights (heavy plated cavalry) and late heavy infantry were more or less brought to and end by weapons, yes, though I think it is rather illogical to think that the longbow was such a weapon, since they were able to protect themselves better and better over the years, making the longbow less and less effective. Why would they have stopped using heavy plated armour if it eventually worked ?

What brought them to a stop was the appearance of firearms and the heavy use of more modern pikemen (like at Marignan).

Okay, I think I've figured out where our disagreement is.  The reason I'm not going point by point on you is that, although it seems a lot of the actual debate has been about the weaponry, we aren't really disagreeing about anything there besides practices and procedures, we're simply talking about technology about a hundred years apart.  I was starting to get the idea that we're not really debating what we think we're debating.  It didn't seem like talking about parabolic ballistics was going to answer any of your questions and the reason I kept bringing up the steel is in response to the idea that the longbow wasn't effective against knights in expensive armor of the time.  Even against them, it was a bane because of their steel quality, but that doesn't seem to be a point of real debate either.  Your own sources point that out for the most part, though I'd say you should probably read the research for the Wikipedia article (that 2006 study was sort of a joke).

However, I don't think your problem is with any of that unless you thought I was saying armor was entirely ineffective.  I've been going over steel and steel quality because you said you didn't think longbows could threaten knights in high-end plate armor, and in fact during the era where longbows were most heavily used, they certainly could.  They definitely didn't turn plate armor of the time into butter, if that's what you thought I was saying, but a longbow volley is a lot different just in terms of physics than you firing a crossbow dead ahead at something you've lined up.  Still, any armor is better than no armor, and a mounted knight would have probably fared better than someone in a mail coat.

So why the debate at all?  I mean, if you want me to go over all my reasoning for why the longbow was so effective, I can.  The reason I'm not is because I don't think that's necessarily where you're getting frustrated.  So I started trying to figure out what exactly the confusion was over.  I took a look over your posts and, I think, we might have some different definitions of knights and chivalry, then maybe in how the longbow itself began the decline of both.

I wouldn't define a "knight" as just a guy in heavy armor that rode a horse, but as a noble, politically invested landowner or vassals who followed the code of chivalry.  More importantly, I think you define chivalry as just a code of polite conduct, which is true.  You're probably talking about chivalry as a system of social etiquette, like Confucianism, and so it is.  But that is not what chivalry was.  Chivalry was a martial discipline, more akin to Bushido, and the majority of it was laden with rules about who could fight who, for how long, when, under what circumstances, what was allowed and what was not allowed.  It dealt with gems like how much you could demand in ransom for a captured knight, what weapons you were permitted to duel with, and who or what it was acceptable to kill and die for.  It essentially dictated politics and historical events in Europe for hundreds of years.

That code essentially began to die after Crecy and the longbow, not just because of the weapon itself, but because of who used them.  A longbow volley was lethal to everything beneath it, knight and peasant alike, and was used primarily by conscripted peasants.  While it wasn't technically dishonorable to just dismount your knights and use them to protect peasants while they killed your enemy for you, the fact was that you don't take captives under longbow fire until you start chasing them down.  Peasants simply aimed and fired, untrained in the martial conduct and skills that knights were trained in.  In essence, they were simply using machines to process whatever they wanted to kill.

There was no political maneuver the French had that they could take to stop it or skill they could train for, they simply had to wait for better armor and machinery to fight back.  That's the essence of machine warfare, that it isn't essentially important who you field as much as what equipment you field.  Suddenly, the knights weren't all-powerful combatants anymore and sometimes weren't even the most important element of their own armies (as in the case of the Brits).  That turned them into more social leaders than military leaders, and ended the days when kings essentially conquered and reconquered empires based on that chivalric code.  The code itself was altered as practices became obsolete and were phased out into what we have today.

Either way, I wouldn't call the heavily armored men who fronted pike formations to be knights, as they were almost entirely men-at-arms that were then directed in combat by landowning knights.  Cavalry existed for some time after, but by then, the politically and historically important parts of the chivalric code were long gone.

It didn't necessarily make the idea of someone in a suit of armor obsolete.  If anything, I'd rather be out in a deerskin bodkin than completely naked during an arrow shower, and steel of the time was definitely better than that.  But the Brits essentially ended chivalric warfare in Europe with their longbow combat during the Hundred Years War.

I hope that clears up whatever you weren't getting.  I thought that by going into longbow physics versus steel tolerances of the time, I wouldn't answer any of your questions.

Vic Van Meter

• Omelette
« Reply #44 on: 11 Dec 2013, 18:04 »

I'm kind of hoping I can go over parabolic ballistic performance, but forewarning you all, it's going to be the long kind of post everyone already complains about me writing even when I'm not trying to be detailed.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5