Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Kaalakiota, or KK, is the largest of the Caldari megacorporations, and was run by Tibus Heth.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: What movies are you watching?  (Read 6110 times)

Ursa Dropsus

• Clonejack
Re: What movies are you watching?
« Reply #15 on: 30 Jul 2014, 10:52 »

I've seen some good sci-fi recently, so wanted to share.

Highly recommend Snowpiercer, which was just released. Crazy French feel to the world and storytelling style (reminds me of Jean Pierre Jeunet, the dude behind Amelie, A Very Long Engagement, Delicatessen, and other great flicks).

And an old one I discovered recently is Black Mirror: 15 Million Credits. Black Mirror is a short film series in the UK that features stories with a focus on tech/sci-fi, looking ahead into the future at how they might change our world. 15 Million Credits is so on point with regards to social media and advertising it hurts. "The Commodification of Resistance" best sums up the closing thesis, which is fucking brutal to watch unfold. Brilliant film. Also it has Sybil from Downtown Abbey (Jessica Brown Findlay) and she's an awesome actor. You can find it online to stream with a little poking around.

I thought Transcendence was kinda fun too. My wife kept asking "What? How is that possible?" and being able to scram "NANITES, BABY. YEAH!" is always a plus in my book.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #16 on: 30 Jul 2014, 12:40 »

Ok, now I don't know how I missed Snowpiercer. Add a korean director and a highly acclaimed 1984 comics and i'm sold. :hipster:
And apparently it met a really good reception too, which is awesome. I'll try to watch it asap.

I heard of Black Mirror and totally forgot about that a year ago. I must watch that, thanks for the reminder !
UK tv channels seem to feature nice series these days, I'm totally in awe enjoying Utopia (best damn series I have ever seen to that date).

For Transcendence I saw that movie pictured everywhere on the adds a while ago, but I heard almost only negative feedback about it... Is it really good ?

I also heard about "Her", if anyone has seen it ? Was hesitating to go watch it and then forgot about it...
« Last Edit: 30 Jul 2014, 12:43 by Lyn Farel »

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #17 on: 30 Jul 2014, 15:41 »

Just watched The Raid 2 recently. Good martial arts movie. Not for children, though.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #18 on: 30 Jul 2014, 16:04 »

Just watched The Raid 2 recently. Good martial arts movie. Not for children, though.

Having seen the first one a few times, I imagine that is something of an understatement  :lol:

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Kala

• Egger
« Reply #19 on: 30 Jul 2014, 16:29 »

And an old one I discovered recently is Black Mirror: 15 Million Credits. Black Mirror is a short film series in the UK that features stories with a focus on tech/sci-fi, looking ahead into the future at how they might change our world. 15 Million Credits is so on point with regards to social media and advertising it hurts. "The Commodification of Resistance" best sums up the closing thesis, which is fucking brutal to watch unfold.

I heard of Black Mirror and totally forgot about that a year ago. I must watch that, thanks for the reminder !

Black Mirror series was amazeballs. 

And yes, 15 Million Credits was the one that stood out most in my mind.  It's sort of like The X-Factor meets Requiem for a Dream. Er. Sort of.

White Bear was also a great one.

edit: also, for more weird and wonderful things that've come out of my country, Misfits was surprisingly good.
« Last Edit: 30 Jul 2014, 16:49 by Kala »

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #20 on: 30 Jul 2014, 17:00 »

Having seen the first one a few times, I imagine that is something of an understatement  :lol:

You got me. I admit: It's a really great, very entertaining and cinematically intriguing martial arts & action movie.

Ursa Dropsus

• Clonejack
« Reply #21 on: 30 Jul 2014, 22:29 »

And yes, 15 Million Credits was the one that stood out most in my mind.  It's sort of like The X-Factor meets Requiem for a Dream. Er. Sort of. White Bear was also a great one.

That's an excellent description. I totally got that Requiem vibe from its ending. I'll have to check out White Bear. And Misfits (never heard of it).

For Transcendence I saw that movie pictured everywhere on the adds a while ago, but I heard almost only negative feedback about it... Is it really good ?

It's pretty pulpy. The subject matter is right up my alley, which probably blinded me to a lot of its flaws. I quite liked it, though. I felt like they pushed things to an interesting closing act and conclusion (but that's where most critics think it all fell apart). There were a few holes in the overall logic, and some suspension of belief required, but to me it was a fun sci-fi flick.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #22 on: 30 Jul 2014, 23:06 »

Black Mirror - White Bear is absolutely chilling. 100% worth the watch.

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Lunarisse Aspenstar

« Reply #23 on: 08 Aug 2014, 13:44 »

Took the boys to see Guardians of the Galaxy.  A good and enjoyable movie (with a lot of in jokes for those who grew up or remember the 80s).

Zenariae

« Reply #24 on: 09 Aug 2014, 03:50 »

Not a recent film but one I hired a few nights ago called "Lost in Translation" with Bill Murray and Scarlett Johansson. A film highlighting the connection between two people and their feelings of displacement at an obvious level being lost in a different culture but also personally with their relationships. Quite slowly paced and romantic even if disillusioned in the end but well worth watching if you enjoy "grown up" themes.  I hired it on iTunes and the description there is misleading and I definitely wouldn't class it as "comedy". It has its amusing moments but its a serious film with some quite melancholic and thoughtful scenes.
« Last Edit: 09 Aug 2014, 04:40 by Zenariae »

Lyn Farel

« Reply #25 on: 13 Aug 2014, 04:20 »

So I watched Snowpiercer and that thing is the most amazing movie I have seen in years. Hands down. Total blast.

Also watched Black mirror mini series as suggested above, it's a really good show. But for me my personal preference didn't go to White Bear or 15M Merits, which are awesome dystopian futures, but I was more touched by the Waldo Moment episode. It's closer to our world, and a lot more subtle about it. It also goes rather deep into problems around democracy/populism in itself.

Watched Transcendence, and I found it to be a very decent movie, even good on some points. Even with a bit of a stretch sometimes (how the hell do you introduce a digital virus into a living being before uploading her lol ?), I was pleasantly surprised by the conclusion, which is, for once in a while in american cinema and blockbusters (or video games while we are at it), not a bland criticism of apocalypse brought by new, evil technologies. Good to see that the film is ambiguous enough until the end.

Watched Noah too. It's not an extremely good movie per se due to, I think, a subject that is a bit lacking and overly too much crocodile tears, but the themes brought up and overall the screen direction being Aronofsky's are rather good. Entertaining in any case.

Also watched Utopia season 2, that show is still freaking awesomesauce. Best series.

« Last Edit: 13 Aug 2014, 04:21 by Lyn Farel »

Anyanka Funk

« Reply #26 on: 13 Aug 2014, 07:05 »

The last movie I watched was Zero Charisma ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5YOJ7I-Jfk ). I was flipping through free you-tube movies a few months ago and it was actually available for free. It is about a tabletop role-playing game master that takes his game too seriously and how shitty his real life is.

The first time I watched it, I shut it off half way through because it seemed to be a horribly depressing movie. I read somewhere that they are actually going to be screening this movie at a local theater in a few months. I thought maybe I didn't give it a chance, maybe there is something towards the end of the movie that made it worth paying money for. So I watched it again, all the way through, and it's still a horribly depressing movie.  :bash:

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #27 on: 13 Aug 2014, 19:43 »

Just watch Contagion, which is a fairly realist portrayal of the troubles brought by a highly lethal contact-spread virus, and how scientists race against the disease and people taking advantage of innocents to provide a cure. Very good movie in its own right, as it avoids some of the worst cliches about the genre (the evil megacorporation, the misunderstood low-level lab tech, the heroic reporter revealing the truth about the situation) for a far more realistic look at what would happen. Also fairly chilling in light of the ongoing Ebola epidemic.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #28 on: 14 Aug 2014, 11:14 »

That 'Rover' looks fantastic.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Kala

• Egger
« Reply #29 on: 15 Aug 2014, 11:30 »

Also watched Utopia season 2, that show is still freaking awesomesauce. Best series.

I'm a bit behind, just finished season 1 and really enjoyed it. Apart from...

[spoiler]

...the eye torture.  I'm not usually very squeamish, but I just cannot cope with eyes.

Chillis? Sand? Bleach? Spoon?

NO. Nonononono. Noooooooooooooooo.

That is not ok. NOT OK.
 :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: [/spoiler]
Pages: 1 [2] 3