Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Kiaor was a notable Minmatar historical figure attributed with saying, "Those whom you hate so fervently, you must have once loved so deeply."

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: What movies are you watching?  (Read 6107 times)

Lunarisse Aspenstar

What movies are you watching?
« on: 14 Nov 2013, 16:12 »

What movies are you watching in the theatres (if you even still go to theatres) when you are not on Eve?

Right now, we recently saw Free Birds and Willy Wonka (original) in a double feature,  before that we saw Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2, Ghostbusters, Despicable Me2, Monsters University, Smurfs2 (save me - horrible movie!), Percy Jackson Sea of Monsters, Epic, Planes, Escape from Earth, the Croods, all in double features at the drive in. *trails off....  :oops:*  The best was probably Despicable Me2 and Planes was a feel good movie.

Sigh. Looking at this I am painfully aware of the demographic these are aimed at. :bash:

Theone grown up movie was Star Trek into the Darkness on date night which was sort of fun if you didn't think too hard about the numerous plot holes and excruciatingly painful for a long time trek fan to watch.

So.. any good movies for grown ups this year?
« Last Edit: 14 Nov 2013, 16:18 by Lunarisse Aspenstar »

Lyn Farel

Re: What movies are you watching?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Nov 2013, 16:24 »

The last one I saw recently was Gravity, and this was a total blast. Awesome.

I think the one I saw before that was The Hobbit in last December...

I don't go a lot to cinema, it's damn expensive. It has to be worth it.

Safai

• Toast &
  • Omelette
  • "Phantom Spaceman is a big fat jerk!"
« Reply #2 on: 14 Nov 2013, 16:36 »

I saw Ender's Game last weekend.

It was ... eh, pretty good. Not great, certainly left some things to be desired—primarily in its poor explanation of early events, and how the whole plot felt crammed into a time frame of a couple weeks or months instead of the couple years (I think?) that the novel was spread over—but the visuals were very engaging, especially the space battles, and the cast was decent enough I guess. Some scenes were really able to achieve some great feeling and emotion, I thought the scenes with Bonzo and Ender were pretty great, and the post-battle stuff at the end too. But most of the movie fell short of doing anything but (briefly) explaining what happens next, and that's just a shame.

All in all? I don't think it's a classic, but it's not a debacle either and I suppose that's relief.
« Last Edit: 14 Nov 2013, 16:38 by Safai »

Natalcya Katla

• Captain farkin' Cardboard
  • Omelette
« Reply #3 on: 14 Nov 2013, 21:40 »

I'll be skipping Ender's Game. Pity too, I remember I did enjoy the books when I read them, years ago.
Ava Starfire > There is evil.
Ava Starfire > Outright evil.
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!

Vic Van Meter

• Omelette
« Reply #4 on: 14 Nov 2013, 22:08 »

I saw Ender's Game last weekend.

It was ... eh, pretty good. Not great, certainly left some things to be desired—primarily in its poor explanation of early events, and how the whole plot felt crammed into a time frame of a couple weeks or months instead of the couple years (I think?) that the novel was spread over—but the visuals were very engaging, especially the space battles, and the cast was decent enough I guess. Some scenes were really able to achieve some great feeling and emotion, I thought the scenes with Bonzo and Ender were pretty great, and the post-battle stuff at the end too. But most of the movie fell short of doing anything but (briefly) explaining what happens next, and that's just a shame.

All in all? I don't think it's a classic, but it's not a debacle either and I suppose that's relief.

Lucky you.  I had to go see the John Carter Disney made a few years back.

That's the closest I've ever come to planning a violent murder spree.  I think Disney owes Burroughs money for the rape of his franchise's soul.

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
« Reply #5 on: 23 Nov 2013, 01:09 »

Recently got into the X-Files and progressed onto the movie after watching series 5.

Surprisingly good, would reccomend
The very model of a British Minmatarian

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
« Reply #6 on: 24 Nov 2013, 18:48 »

Last movie I saw in theatre was The Hobbit, and likely I'll go see the next part as well.
Other than that, there aren't that many movies that I really have to see on the big screen these days.
-OOChé

Kohiko Sun

• Duckling
  • Egger
« Reply #7 on: 26 Nov 2013, 07:00 »

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire is worth seeing. You don't need to have read or seen the first one, but it would help a lot if you have (Netflix night!). The ending leads into Mockingjay (which starts next year), so it's full of "to be continued~".
Will work for pretty sig.

Lunarisse Aspenstar

« Reply #8 on: 30 Jun 2014, 17:40 »

How to Train Your Dragon 2.  Hopefully it won't succumb to the usual issues with sequels.  Still, the kids have a pretty low threshold to be satisfied so I am sure they will enjoy it :)

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 01 Jul 2014, 01:54 »

Just watched Rush.  Good movie.
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #10 on: 01 Jul 2014, 12:18 »

Haven't seen anything in theaters for ages, but I regularly borrow stuff from the local library system (it's pretty amazing, tbh).

Latest features include "White Heat" (James Cagney playing a slimeball like a boss), "NO" (about the effort to oust Augusto Pinochet), and "Wreck-It Ralph" (video game silliness galore).
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #11 on: 01 Jul 2014, 12:43 »

Just caught the absolutely brutal "The Rover" with Guy Pierce.

Post apocalyptic and bleak.  One far will someone go who has absolutely nothing left to lose?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChM2icbWo9w

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #12 on: 29 Jul 2014, 20:18 »

Akrasjel Lanate

• Omelette

Dessau

« Reply #14 on: 30 Jul 2014, 10:36 »

NEW MAD MAX TRAILER.

I kept thinking, "who is the girl with the bionic commando arm? She looks really familiar, I've seen her in something."

Then I saw the cast, and there was a weak but audible implosion inside my skull.
Pages: [1] 2 3