Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that wooden furniture is very expensive in space? (p. 89)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Warhammer Online shutdown notice  (Read 2102 times)

Repentence Tyrathlion

• Omelette
  • RIP?
Re: Warhammer Online shutdown notice
« Reply #15 on: 24 Sep 2013, 08:06 »

Quote from: Eternal Crusade FAQ
Eternal Crusade's combat is fully action-based, meaning that you hit exactly where you shoot or swing and it's up to your skill whether you pull off a headshot or block that incoming chainsword. In addition, gamepads will be fully supported.

Both ranged and melee weapons have equal emphasis – as in the iconic battles of Warhammer 40,000, combat begins at a distance with guns and heavy vehicle-mounted weaponry before progressing to bloody blade-on-blade action with brutal executions.

Are there quests?

Not in the traditional sense. Instead of looking for quest-givers to give you things to do, you can just head out into the world to find procedurally-generated content in your own or the enemy’s territory.

We’re currently working on short, horde-style firefights and longer dungeon-delving experiences. In both cases, the content will be randomized so it’s new every time, but with parameters and details specific to the locations.

Of course, you can always look to the community channels and your faction leaders to get some direction. In addition, there are mid- and long-term opposed goals for factions that appear on a regular basis as part of the campaigns. More details on this soon!

Do characters have levels?

No! As in the game, you’ll pick what unit class type you want to bring to the battlefield and have access to a huge amount of customization, but since this is a PvP-focused game the progression won’t be primarily about increasing power, but rather gaining access to a wider variety of skills and better specialization.

Certain powerful but limited unlockables will be available to truly dedicated players, however. More details on this soon!

Anja has the right of it.  They're being rather cagey about exact implementations, though, so it could go horribly wrong.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #16 on: 24 Sep 2013, 08:55 »

I think this was at E3 this year.

http://www.eternalcrusade.com/

... WoW ... In Space ...

Seriously.  :roll:  Unless it departs wildly from any existing templates.

I do not think an MMO can do justice to the 40k IP.   Even the core table top game it is written to support has trouble adequately portraying the scale of conflicts that occur.

Weird. I thought that was going to be a Planetside 2-esque game set in the 40k IP... No idea how or where I got that impression, but I remember reading it somewhere  :ugh:

Fair enough, I based my assessment on a quick browsing of their website (and the 4 factions available).  I still doubt it will not do the setting justice.

Repentence Tyrathlion

• Omelette
  • RIP?
« Reply #17 on: 24 Sep 2013, 15:18 »

Fair enough, I based my assessment on a quick browsing of their website (and the 4 factions available).  I still doubt it will not do the setting justice.

In that we agree.  I'll probably still poke at it, but I'm not expecting great things.  Even stuff like the Space Marine game felt like it lacked something.

Anja Suorsa

• Clonejack
  • N00b
« Reply #18 on: 25 Sep 2013, 05:35 »

Even stuff like the Space Marine game felt like it lacked something.

Powerfists and flamers  :cry:

DeT Resprox

• Egger
  • Leader of Ushra'Khan and founding member.
    • evepandora
« Reply #19 on: 25 Sep 2013, 06:00 »

I set up Da Blak Handz, an RP greenskin guild when it first started (i was Gukrog), during a year-long break from EvE.

The grind and monotony broke me and EvE had changed for the better - i handed over command and it kept going right up to the server death :D
DeT Resprox
Leader of the Ushra'Khan and founding member
T.R.I.A.D CEO
Minmatar Militia Fleet Commander
Founding member of the People's Republic of Minmatar

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #20 on: 26 Sep 2013, 02:01 »

I actually played Warhammer Online as a witch hunter and I am sad to see it go. The Old World is a very interesting, very engaging place, with scars of battle and ruins oozing with history and tragedy. It's a sad sad place where everything is trying to kill you, and is inhabited by people who are too hard to kill.

The game really didn't do it enough justice. The implemented system ensures that eventually, the lower levels are going to turn into wastelands, which in turn hurts progression. Best way to level up has always been a mix of PVE AND PVP, and the best way to benefit from PVE is to do it cooperatively. The lack of incentives for players to return to the previous three tiers ensured that you can do PVE...poorly, and hardly do any PVP, slowing progress considerably and turn everything into a chore. The mentorship system and the tokens for free levels are meant to alleviate the tedium, but in all honesty, it simply wasn't enough.

There's also the issue of the cut content. This should be a sign that the game was not released complete, and this impression was, apparently, vindicated when the first siege against the fortresses protecting the capital city (Inevitable City in the server I was in) resulted in not one, but THREE server crashes and a reset in progress in that zone. The warbands, long salivating for the pillage and plundering for the first time, practically raged quit at that point. This was followed by, I think, a slew of various other issues. The game was released prematurely.

And I hear there's been alot of serious balance issues as well. Things like Marauders killing Shadow Warriors in ranged standoffs, Bright Wizards are too OP (we had this complaint since the first year). All that sounded like there simply wasn't enough weight being placed on player feedback.

With all these issues, it is hard to fault GW from withdrawing the license.

And seriously. Altdorf is too safe. There isn't enough horrible things happening in Altdorf. We need a Skaven warband emerging from under your feet every other day and plague zombies hordes cropping up every other week, sometimes coming out of the River Reik, all smelly and with fish bits in their hair and under their armpits. And the bar brawls aren't violent enough. Not enough people are dying. Not enough housewives are stabbing Skaven with kitchen knives. Not enough heretics are burnt, quartered, hung, flogged or flayed. Not enough kangaroo trials in public where every old woman with a wart is charged with witchcraft. Not enough crazy flagellants worshiping chickens with the Twin-Tailed Comet painted on their bum. Needs more of them, man!
« Last Edit: 26 Sep 2013, 02:23 by Elmund Egivand »
Deep sea fish loves you forever
Pages: 1 [2]