Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You fly your ship from inside a pod, not from a bridge?

Author Topic: Wonders of the Solar System  (Read 1380 times)

Mebrithiel

• My main is my falcon alt ♥
  • Egger
  • A wild Meb approaches!
    • Blood Inquisition
Wonders of the Solar System
« on: 14 Apr 2011, 13:46 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00rf172/Wonders_of_the_Solar_System_Original_Series_Empire_of_the_Sun/

Just start there and keep watching.

I personally have loved the few times I've caught Professor Cox's previous shows, though I really wanna go back and watch the rest (Wonders of the Earth, and Wonders of the Universe).

The guy wasn't content enough to be in D:ream lol...  :P

Kybernetes Moros

Re: Wonders of the Solar System
« Reply #1 on: 14 Apr 2011, 13:51 »

Aha.

I've been meaning to watch these for ages, now. I downloaded Wonders of the Solar System months ago, watched the first two, then got blindsided by not being able to access the HDD I had them on and forgot all about them. Now that I can get back on said HDD...

Will have to go and, er, procure Wonders of the Universe sometime, if it's as interesting as it looks -- but :physicsteacher:, so that could just be me. :p The only downside is Brian Cox; brilliantly intelligent guy, and yet he manages to subtly, albeit constantly, annoy me in everything he presents. :x

Wanoah

• Omelette
  • Sweating spinal fluid
    • Hello!
« Reply #2 on: 14 Apr 2011, 15:30 »

Going to this next month:

Quite looking forward to it.

The only downside is Brian Cox; brilliantly intelligent guy, and yet he manages to subtly, albeit constantly, annoy me in everything he presents. :x

That's a shame. I find him pretty engaging, personally. If I had had a physics teacher with anything like that sort of enthusiasm when I was at school, I would have made some different choices for sure. I dropped physics at the first opportunity because it was so damn boring. >.<

Or perhaps, like me, you chafe at the trend for modern documentaries to spend 30 minutes repeating themselves while displaying some flash graphics on the screen. :/ It's even worse when you watch a documentary on a commercial channel:

Intro spends 5 minutes telling us what it is going to tell us
<Commercials>
2 minutes spent recapping the introduction.
Introduce first point
Talking heads waffle on about first point without ever saying anything salient
<Commercials>
Recap of what was said in the previous segment
[...]
Ad nauseam

Anything I see in a 30 minute slot will have no content that couldn't have been better present in a paragraph of text with a graph. Anything that takes an hour slot will probably be frustratingly slow to get to the point. :bash:

Nothing worth saying is inoffensive to everyone

Blog | Fiction

Misan

• Shady Thukker & Ninja Admin
  • Pod Captain
    • Serious Thukking Business - Blog
« Reply #3 on: 14 Apr 2011, 15:34 »

Not available in my region. :(

[mod]Moved into The Speakeasy[/mod]
EVE Blog and Project Status: on hold -- busy being Thukker-esque IRL.
Twitter
What I'm busy with, if you're curious.

Kybernetes Moros

« Reply #4 on: 14 Apr 2011, 16:34 »

That's a shame. I find him pretty engaging, personally. If I had had a physics teacher with anything like that sort of enthusiasm when I was at school, I would have made some different choices for sure. I dropped physics at the first opportunity because it was so damn boring. >.<

I'd like to think that I at least make an effort to have my enthusiasm for the field come through when I teach, heh: it's an amazing thing, and TBH that so many teachers just focus on the exams rather than the enjoyment of the subject is kinda upsetting.

Of course, my students may disagree. :p

Or perhaps, like me, you chafe at the trend for modern documentaries to spend 30 minutes repeating themselves while displaying some flash graphics on the screen. :/ It's even worse when you watch a documentary on a commercial channel.

Anything I see in a 30 minute slot will have no content that couldn't have been better present in a paragraph of text with a graph. Anything that takes an hour slot will probably be frustratingly slow to get to the point. :bash:

That's also part of it, yeah, but not the guy's fault at all; I've actively studied physics, whereas I would hazard a guess that most who watch it have a GCSE or A-level in it, at the most (to use the UK examination system). Don't get me wrong, that he makes these documentaries is fantastic, and I hope he continues to do so -- but that grin... >>

Lyn Farel

« Reply #5 on: 14 Apr 2011, 16:40 »

Not available in my area. Damn you BBC.

Akrasjel Lanate

• Omelette
« Reply #6 on: 15 Apr 2011, 00:02 »

Not available in your area.

Tried few sites and ****  :bash: