Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Gradient (GRD) is an independent elite capsuleer unit affiliated with the Minmatar Republic?  Read more here

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: [Character] Gwen Ikiryo (Revised)  (Read 7192 times)

Gwen Ikiryo

• Omelette
Re: [Character] Gwen Ikiryo
« Reply #15 on: 26 Feb 2013, 17:40 »

Thanks for your feedback, Anslo!

The excessive "I" thing was a deliberate choice on my part. I wanted Gwens narrative voice to convey a feeling of consistent doubt and self-analysis - Even when writing in something completely private, she doesn't feel confident in stating her opinions and observations, or even personal feelings, as absolutes. And on the other side of the coin, it's also supposed to reflect a very self obsessed attitude; It's always all about her feelings, her worries, her fears (You can see in entry 7 where she tries to break free of this, but ultimately falls right back in by the end). I imagine she writes the log very much for the purpose of validating herself.

She's also supposed to be a History major, so I tried to make her writing a little dry and direct at times, since that's what she'd be used to.

Though I'm not oblivious to the negatives of this when judging the journal as a work, per se, I ultimately decided that sticking true to the character for something like this would be the better option, considering it isn't just written to entertain, but also as kind of a resource for people interested in the character herself on an OOC level. (And for me, should I ever forget what I'm doing.)

I can certainly change if it's not working, though?
« Last Edit: 26 Feb 2013, 17:44 by Gwen Ikiryo »

Anslol

« Reply #16 on: 27 Feb 2013, 07:38 »

Well if that's what you're going for don't let criticism sway you to do otherwise. I just noticed a lot of I's. But if that's the intended effect then who am I to judge.

Keep on doin' what you're doin' and don't let anyone stop you or tell you otherwise.

Gwen Ikiryo

• Omelette
« Reply #17 on: 27 Feb 2013, 08:31 »

Well if that's what you're going for don't let criticism sway you to do otherwise. I just noticed a lot of I's. But if that's the intended effect then who am I to judge.

Keep on doin' what you're doin' and don't let anyone stop you or tell you otherwise.

Well, alright then. :)

I do appreciate you noting this, though, and hope it isn't too bothersome. I like the style - It feels really natural for the character - But if it's making the thing a displeasure to read and outright turning people off, that rather defeats the point, so if that's the case, I'd rather nip it in the bud.
« Last Edit: 27 Feb 2013, 08:34 by Gwen Ikiryo »

Anslol

« Reply #18 on: 27 Feb 2013, 08:50 »

Well, alright then. :)

I do appreciate you noting this, though, and hope it isn't too bothersome. I like the style - It feels really natural for the character - But if it's making the thing a displeasure to read and outright turning people off, that rather defeats the point, so if that's the case, I'd rather nip it in the bud.

Oh hell no it's not a displeasure to read. MY logs under my character sheet are probably a displeasure but that's just because I have NO idea how else to convey Anslo's story.

But no it works just dandy. It convey's Gwen's feelings well and sort of solidifies Anslo's thoughts about Gwen. She confuses him because he thinks Gwen is so smart, but she's not confident. He thinks she should be much more confident in her dealings. But the journal gives good insight.

Either way, I'd still fluffle Gwen. Flufflable/10, would fluffle gently.

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #19 on: 01 Mar 2013, 17:04 »

I like your background. I like your character! \o/

This

Natalcya Katla

• Captain farkin' Cardboard
  • Omelette
« Reply #20 on: 01 Mar 2013, 21:46 »

I'm having a great time interacting with Gwen.
Ava Starfire > There is evil.
Ava Starfire > Outright evil.
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
« Reply #21 on: 07 Mar 2013, 18:24 »

Interesting...
Gwen is somewhat like a female Caldari version of Ché, some of the internal struggles are very familiar, yet for different reasons or with other factors influencing them. I'm curious to see how she will deal with them and what "thruths" she'll find.
-OOChé

Lyn Farel

« Reply #22 on: 08 Mar 2013, 07:28 »

I have not interacted a lot with Gwen, unfortunately.

It's a nice character.

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #23 on: 08 Mar 2013, 07:44 »

That latest blog post is brilliant :O
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Gwen Ikiryo

• Omelette
« Reply #24 on: 08 Mar 2013, 08:31 »

That latest blog post is brilliant :O

Oh, thanks! I'm glad that you thought so.

I actually spent quite a while considering taking it down and redoing it, heh. Something about the writings pacing didn't sit right with me. But it's good to hear that it works.

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #25 on: 02 Apr 2013, 06:24 »

Gwen, don't be thinking that people aren't reading the blog just because they aren't commenting.  WANT MOAR!
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Natalcya Katla

• Captain farkin' Cardboard
  • Omelette
« Reply #26 on: 02 Apr 2013, 08:35 »

Echoing Tib's sentiment. More Gwen blog please.  :)
Ava Starfire > There is evil.
Ava Starfire > Outright evil.
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!

ArtOfLight

• Retired Combat Pilot
  • Omelette
  • Bright Stars, Clear Horizons
« Reply #27 on: 02 Apr 2013, 08:54 »

Only just finished the blog myself and woah, what a blog! Looking for moar!
"A man's courage can be measured by what he does, his wisdom by what he chooses not to do and his character by the sum of both."

Gwen Ikiryo

• Omelette
« Reply #28 on: 02 Apr 2013, 17:24 »

Ahh, you guys.  :oops: I'm really flattered.

I've been working on another writing project at the moment for easter, which has sapped a bit of my mental energy for the blog, but I should be back to making entries for it soon.

Shintoko Akahoshi

• Red Mom of War(?)
  • Pod Captain
  • Red Mom of War!
« Reply #29 on: 03 Apr 2013, 16:04 »

I really like this a lot! I like the way you address questions of humanity and post-humanity in your blog that most other people tend to take for granted.

I do have a question about Gwen's original background, though. Gwen's father transferred assets to small corporations that he owned, and shifted the corporations to be GalFed-based, correct? Why did he then return to Achura and accept a devastating demotion, instead of simply leaving the State along with the corporations he owned? I think the fact that he didn't do this probably points to some interesting core values on his part.
Pages: 1 [2] 3