Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Lonetrek dialect of the Caldari language is sometimes called the "throat infection" dialect?

Author Topic: Hey there.  (Read 1661 times)

Xiaohui

• Clonejack
Hey there.
« on: 23 Dec 2014, 18:12 »

I was directed here by a kind user named Gwen Ikiryo. I wrote an RP post on IGS, but I made the mistake of writing more than 1 paragraph of pure dialogue, so my post was deemed a "story" and moved out of IGS, and I was flamed by EVE users over "OOC knowledge" even though everything I posted was IC knowledge as per the EVE wiki itself.

So now here I am. It's a little disappointing because I was looking forward to interacting with the EVE storyline that's emerging, but apparently you have to "earn it" according to some of the posters who got on my case. Since I have no idea how to "earn it", and since I like to write more than a paragraph of dialogue, I guess I won't be participating in the EVE storyline at all and will just have to write about my "fiction" and ideas here.

So, hi everyone.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
Re: Hey there.
« Reply #1 on: 23 Dec 2014, 19:07 »

The IGS is just a forum for capsuleers, nothing more. You post as a person posts, or in some cases as a video/audio feed. The other end of the conversation comes from other characters.

Interacting with the Eve storyline comes through interacting with other characters, not with yourself.

Xiaohui

• Clonejack
« Reply #2 on: 23 Dec 2014, 19:33 »

My post wasn't closed to participation, though. And I see I'm having the same argument here that I was having there. Sigh.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #3 on: 23 Dec 2014, 19:51 »

Tbh, bitches gonna bitch. Everyone has their own preferred way of interacting with Eve's storyline and there's plenty of room for diversity. Unfortunately "Earth" is a somewhat touchy subject, both IC and OOC. I understand what you're trying to do, but you're going to have difficulty getting others to accept it, unless CCP gives ironclad IC proof of Earth's existence.... which they will never do.

Anyway.

Welcome to Backstage.

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Xiaohui

• Clonejack
« Reply #4 on: 24 Dec 2014, 05:30 »

Tbh, bitches gonna bitch. Everyone has their own preferred way of interacting with Eve's storyline and there's plenty of room for diversity. Unfortunately "Earth" is a somewhat touchy subject, both IC and OOC. I understand what you're trying to do, but you're going to have difficulty getting others to accept it, unless CCP gives ironclad IC proof of Earth's existence.... which they will never do.

Anyway.

Welcome to Backstage.

It wasn't even really about Earth itself, just the idea that humans all come from the same place; "Single-Point Theory".

Using 20th century genetic and archaeological techniques (dating), it would be pretty easy for a civilization as advanced as the empires are to come to the same conclusion.

The problem here is that we as players have no clearly defined boundaries are rules. There is no list of what's restricted from RP/exploration, so how can you yell at someone for writing about it?

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #5 on: 24 Dec 2014, 05:51 »

It's RP. You can write "the" and get yelled at. It's one of the charms of the place.

Gwen Ikiryo

• Omelette
« Reply #6 on: 24 Dec 2014, 05:55 »

You probably shouldn't take that one guy who told you you "weren't entitled to know that" too seriously. Eve Roleplay is, like I already said, kinda weird, but he seemed just like a jerk.

That being said, you probably should try to be a bit more polite about the differences between what Eve players consider normal roleplay and what you do. You come across as sort of prickly about it.

Ollie

• Egger
« Reply #7 on: 24 Dec 2014, 07:03 »

For what it's worth I think the stuff you're doing right now on both your short-fiction blog and the IGS is creative and interesting. You've clearly checked up on the lore in the areas you're focussing on and that's worth acknowledging.

You've also made one of the more unique 'Hello' posts in the last few years. So kudos for that too and welcome to Backstage.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #8 on: 24 Dec 2014, 07:08 »

I was directed here by a kind user named Gwen Ikiryo. I wrote an RP post on IGS, but I made the mistake of writing more than 1 paragraph of pure dialogue, so my post was deemed a "story" and moved out of IGS, and I was flamed by EVE users over "OOC knowledge" even though everything I posted was IC knowledge as per the EVE wiki itself.

So now here I am. It's a little disappointing because I was looking forward to interacting with the EVE storyline that's emerging, but apparently you have to "earn it" according to some of the posters who got on my case. Since I have no idea how to "earn it", and since I like to write more than a paragraph of dialogue, I guess I won't be participating in the EVE storyline at all and will just have to write about my "fiction" and ideas here.

So, hi everyone.

Hi and welcome first of all.

Don't get too rebuked by that kind of things, since you might face it a lot, especially as a novice. It tends to stem directly from the game mentality as a general rule of thumbs, which always favors cliques, elitism, and things to prove (epeen, killboards, whatever floats their boats) to get into the right circles and get accepted as anybody else having past the same "trials"...

Well, it sounds all gloom and distateful said like that and please bear in mind that my words are probably a lot exagerated... I just hope you get the picture. Do not really mind such things, that's my only advice.  :)

Anyway.

Welcome to Backstage.

It wasn't even really about Earth itself, just the idea that humans all come from the same place; "Single-Point Theory".

Using 20th century genetic and archaeological techniques (dating), it would be pretty easy for a civilization as advanced as the empires are to come to the same conclusion.

The problem here is that we as players have no clearly defined boundaries are rules. There is no list of what's restricted from RP/exploration, so how can you yell at someone for writing about it?

Also worthy of note according to lore and wiki official sources, that theory is fully backed by the biggest empire, which are the Amarr, and have been enforced by them since the beginning. And even if not, it's a theory that exists, and if people are not happy to hear about it OOCly, just kindly redirect them to the lore in question. ICly, whatever, it's just IC anyway, even if it's always annoying when you perfectly know that someone is pissing on you ICly for fully petty OOC agendas.
« Last Edit: 24 Dec 2014, 07:12 by Lyn Farel »

Xiaohui

• Clonejack
« Reply #9 on: 24 Dec 2014, 07:14 »

Thanks for the warm welcome and the honest critique!

I honestly haven't written fiction in a couple of years (school sucked up all my time), but I hope I can provide more quality content for you guys for as long as I'm able to do so.

Karynn

« Reply #10 on: 24 Dec 2014, 10:08 »

Hiya! o/

I quite liked the piece you did - sometimes I find science-heavy fiction a bit off-putting, but this was nice and easy to read and understand.

In my opinion, the Fiction forum was the best place for it. Your recent IGS post was much better in terms of accessibility for other characters to interact, as the replies to it show.

Have fun with it!  ;)

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
« Reply #11 on: 25 Dec 2014, 16:54 »

First, welcome backstage.
I see I'm having the same argument here that I was having there. Sigh.
Second...uhm...you brought it here?

I was thinking about posting on that thread that it read more like fiction to me as well, but I didn't feel like it would add anything, especially after Gwen's posts.
I will add that my only online RP experience is within EVE, so maybe that helps in understanding why I read it as fiction.
Generally, I'll treat any narrative that contains OOC knowledge (and with this I mean insights to your characters thoughts and doings that my char would not know) as fiction, especially when written in 3rd person.

I will have to echo Gwen's "prickly" comment. No matter how much RP you have under your belt, in EVE, you're the noob, not us.*   :twisted: :P
* Referencing American History X here, but can't find the scene on youtube, sadly.

Also, the earth page on the wiki is probably mostly IC knowledge (have not read it all), but there are bits and pieces on the wiki that are not IC knowledge (quite some chronicles, the fact that the Broker rammed the Wandering Saint into Ishukone HQ instead of Admiral Noir).

About how to "earn it"...I have no clue, and I've been here for years. Don't know what "it" is or if and how I "earned" it. All in all, I don't worry too much about that these days, if I ever did.
-OOChé