Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That light pits, used to hold ships in place, are filled with complex electronic equipment, have no safety boundaries, and are lit with a dim blue light when not in use? (The Burning Life p. 77)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Where do I Fit in At??  (Read 3471 times)

Ashlar Maidstone

• Clonejack
  • OHAI!! Yes this is little ol' Me!!
Where do I Fit in At??
« on: 02 Apr 2011, 18:05 »

Well, it seems to me as I sit in Mani VII Moon 10 station due to a war dec, I been spending some time thinking about my character and what it means to me. I hadn't really thought much about my place as far as any RP is concerned, but rather where do I fit into the scheme of things. So, where do I fit in at or where can I go as far as what my RP should consist of??

Being an Amarr Liberal Holder should given me a better idea and understanding of what my position in the Amarr Empire should be is without a doubt, daughting to say the least, and to better understand where I fit into the lore of Eve. Currently working as an industrialist mining and building stuff really suits me better than combat and even tho the countless threads on the EveO forums are less than desirable with all the whining that goes on, sure makes it difficult to really understand where I should be.

So, I guess the question is, where do I fit in?? The floor is open for discussion.

Thanks.

Ashar Kor-Azor

• Banned
  • Pod Captain
  • Banned
Re: Where do I Fit in At??
« Reply #1 on: 02 Apr 2011, 18:11 »

Since I was looking at this forum-board in a little scrap of spare time:

You belong with friends. That's the first rule of finding corps or alliances or groupies.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #2 on: 02 Apr 2011, 18:13 »

By posting a thoughtful request for advice, you've taken your first steps into a much larger world...

I'd say that no one else can possibly tell you what your RP "should" include. Assuming you want to hew to the Liberal Holder line, I'd suggest the following:

> Read as much as you can about the Amarr Empire. Probably other repositories exist, most notably from other Amarr roleplayers and RP corporations.
> Make friends with RPers who have similar interests. (This board is one place to start, though of course other places exist as well.)
> Decide whether you want your RP to focus primarily on in-game actions reflecting your character's beliefs, conversation and debate, some mix of the two, or something else entirely.
> Ignore the whining threads and the endless rehashing of "DIE SLAVER SCUM" -> "You need God's light, my child" -> "YOU NEED MY AUTOCANNONS" -> "You pathetic tribal" etc etc. Not to say that interesting Amarrian/Minmatar discussions and RP don't exist, but you'll need to quickly determine which threads have value and which do not.

On preview: Basically, what Ashar said. :)

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #3 on: 02 Apr 2011, 19:10 »

As an extension of the "belonging with friends" bit, there are a lot of Amarr-themed/-centric/-related IC channels you can drop your character in to start an interaction with other Amarr characters. Mercy's Keep, the Basilica, and the Sisterhood Arbor come to mind.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #4 on: 02 Apr 2011, 19:49 »

Well, as an Amarrian Holder, you do belong at the business end of a decent row of autocannons from an IC point of view, but yeah. From what I can tell, most liberal Amarr RPers these days gravitate towards KotMC or some smaller corps than that. Ashar here can probably toss you an invite to a few channels for Liberal Amarrian RP and there's probably all kinds of fun to be had.

As for where you lorewise fit... well.. it's hard to say. Seeing as most Amarrian RPers seem to gravitate towards liberalism these days, I'm having a hard time getting a grasp on the Amarr Empire RP in general.

Mathra Hiede

• Omelette
« Reply #5 on: 03 Apr 2011, 19:11 »

I beg to differ.

Amarrian RP has seen the rise of liberalist RP over the last few months to a year or so, but between PIE, KP-V and even CVA there remains a firm block of 'hardcore' RP Amarrians who are your good old favourite "Bow or be enslaved!" People.

That being said, if your interested in the liberal side of Amarrian RP, the Knighthood of the Merciful Crown is perhaps the most well known corp around, despite their ongoing... disagreement, with the other people I mentioned before.

Innocence prooves nothing - Solen Sean

IzzyChan

• Omelette
  • 20% cooler in 10 seconds flat
    • IzzyBlog
« Reply #6 on: 03 Apr 2011, 19:16 »

Overthink it and you'll never have fun. Just wing it. D:

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #7 on: 03 Apr 2011, 19:25 »

See, NOW you're blessed for success. Izzeh has posted in yer thread!

IzzyChan

• Omelette
  • 20% cooler in 10 seconds flat
    • IzzyBlog
« Reply #8 on: 03 Apr 2011, 19:27 »

See, NOW you're blessed for success. Izzeh has posted in yer thread!

I been misplacing my luck for ages, so that's where it runs to. :|

Raphael Saint

• I should really go back to mining
  • Wetgraver
    • Miner Inconvienences [Blog]
« Reply #9 on: 04 Apr 2011, 06:29 »

That being said, if your interested in the liberal side of Amarrian RP, the Knighthood of the Merciful Crown is perhaps the most well known corp around, because of their ongoing... disagreement, with the other people I mentioned before.

Fixed it for you. ;)

I don't think KotMC would be too well known if it was just another conservative Amarrian corp.

However, playing a conservative in the Knighthood give plenty of chances for good RP inside the corp itself as we're not all just sitting around agreeing with eachother.

Raphael Saint

• I should really go back to mining
  • Wetgraver
    • Miner Inconvienences [Blog]
« Reply #10 on: 04 Apr 2011, 15:18 »

*Momentarily removed while under review.*
« Last Edit: 04 Apr 2011, 16:27 by Raphael Saint »

Ashar Kor-Azor

• Banned
  • Pod Captain
  • Banned
« Reply #11 on: 05 Apr 2011, 01:21 »

I beg to differ.

Amarrian RP has seen the rise of liberalist RP over the last few months to a year or so, but between PIE, KP-V and even CVA there remains a firm block of 'hardcore' RP Amarrians who are your good old favourite "Bow or be enslaved!" People.

That being said, if your interested in the liberal side of Amarrian RP, the Knighthood of the Merciful Crown is perhaps the most well known corp around, despite their ongoing... disagreement, with the other people I mentioned before.
PIE is centrist at its most conservative. Gaven made it that way and it stuck, as far as I can tell. The only issue it sticks to on a fixedly conservative basis is the racial one, and that's become a miniscule thing in recent years.
CVA is so blandly liberal it hurts. Changing its reputation from this would require quite serious work in terms of PR.
KP-V is the closest thing to an old-time conservative corporation that we have, as far as I can tell, but it falls quite short, thankfully. Conservative hardliner roleplay is overly simplistic and tends to become so formulaic as to bore all its proponents after only a year or two.

The rise of liberal roleplay among the playerbase has been an ongoing process from beta as far as I can tell - though it happened in spurts and was arrested in its development more than once - and has only recently become fleshed out ideologically to a point that might allow it to have the lead over the possibility space of Amarrian politics. The dribs and drabs of formative clumping of all the little thoughts that got scraped together started with Oberon Incorporated in pre-GNW days and moved on, after some interruptions, to many other groups and thinkers.

It's just finally gotten to the point where the popularity of the old bloc-style roleplay's fallen away because of certain groups disintegrating, so the liberals started to look like the only game in town and there they were in the spotlight.

Mathra Hiede

• Omelette
« Reply #12 on: 05 Apr 2011, 06:11 »

I beg to differ.

PIE is centrist at its most conservative. Gaven made it that way and it stuck, as far as I can tell. The only issue it sticks to on a fixedly conservative basis is the racial one, and that's become a miniscule thing in recent years.
CVA is so blandly liberal it hurts. Changing its reputation from this would require quite serious work in terms of PR.
KP-V is the closest thing to an old-time conservative corporation that we have, as far as I can tell, but it falls quite short, thankfully. Conservative hardliner roleplay is overly simplistic and tends to become so formulaic as to bore all its proponents after only a year or two.

The rise of liberal roleplay among the playerbase has been an ongoing process from beta as far as I can tell - though it happened in spurts and was arrested in its development more than once - and has only recently become fleshed out ideologically to a point that might allow it to have the lead over the possibility space of Amarrian politics. The dribs and drabs of formative clumping of all the little thoughts that got scraped together started with Oberon Incorporated in pre-GNW days and moved on, after some interruptions, to many other groups and thinkers.

It's just finally gotten to the point where the popularity of the old bloc-style roleplay's fallen away because of certain groups disintegrating, so the liberals started to look like the only game in town and there they were in the spotlight.

This discussion probably deserves a thread of its own - the development of the Amarrian RP scene and how each of the various corporations have changed etc etc etc, we could all go on for ages - but its quite off topic.

The best way to judge where you fit in (in my mind) is just to explore and develop as you go.
You like the way militant liberal Amarrians are today? Go try it.
Wasn't your thing? Want to be an Amarrian trader on par with the Caldari? Go try it.
Wasn't your thing? etc etc.

You get my drift I hope  ;)

Innocence prooves nothing - Solen Sean

Punx Evangeline

• Clonejack
« Reply #13 on: 05 Apr 2011, 09:51 »

Just jump in feet first and see where it takes you.  Join some IC channels and meet people.  :D

-Punx

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #14 on: 05 Apr 2011, 12:46 »

Just jump in feet first and see where it takes you.  Join some IC channels and meet people.  :D

-Punx

This honestly. You can keep posing by the pool all you want, but if you want to have fun, you've got to get your feet wet sooner or later.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.
Pages: [1] 2