EVE-Online RP Discussion and Resources > EVE Corporation and Alliance Development

Corp organization models

(1/5) > >>

Casiella:
As an offshoot from the discussion in the Summit thread: Wanoah asserted that "a corp genuinely can't function as a corp given the game mechanics". I don't know what specific mechanics prevent this, frankly. The corp UI definitely sucks -- even CCP recognizes this, even if they can't be assed right now to fix it -- but lots of corps do so, including investors, share apportionment, dividends, etc.

Then Mebrithiel has "been wanting to do wage based forever", but personally I think it's as a terrible idea IG as it is IRL. Why we would want to emulate that model, I don't think I understand.

Thoughts on corp models and setup?

Arvo Katsuya:
I think LDIS comes as close as they come to that sort of model described. We've been doing it the whole time. :)

Isobel Mitar:

--- Quote from: Casiella on 11 Jul 2010, 10:33 ---Then Mebrithiel has "been wanting to do wage based forever", but personally I think it's as a terrible idea IG as it is IRL. Why we would want to emulate that model, I don't think I understand.

--- End quote ---

I'm curious why you think wage-based is a bad idea? What does "wage-based corp in Eve" mean for you, and how it differs from profit sharing?

Isobel's corp Gradient has wages, and I like the system. I wonder how my and your mental image of "wage-based" differs.

Tomahawk Bliss:
there are many, many, many, many, many, many, many different types of corp models in Real Life. 

My current corporate masters are a company named AIMCO and they are a RIET (Real Estate Investment Trust) with several subsidiaries and third party corporations that are L.P.(Limited Partnership). 

My Previous employers were a non-profit corporation named OCCU which is a Co-Op; specifically a financial co-op (Credit Union)

I've worked for HMT which is an Ltd. but is currently consolidated so is…I don’t know, likely a post office box, a junk storage bin and one glass substrate manufacturing plant in Tiawan.

I've worked for a Mills Manufacturing, which was a Sole Proprietorship that became Incorporated.

I could go on and on.

the only uniform guideline for a corporation is that it is an institution recognized as a separate legal entity by charter and even that is not absolute.

Pay structure, job contract, stocks, law status, management, contractors and every other aspect of what a corporation is can be more or less unique to each company.

I believe CCP is privately held?

Good luck finding out their structure >_<

I imagine that since they have 500+ employees they do not “vend” or “contract” very much of their work but most of the techie companies here do run by contract so there isn’t even a wage type structure.

I am curious if their various games are held by subsidiary corporations and limited partnerships or if they are all part of the same profit reporting mothership ^_^

orange:

--- Quote from: Tomahawk Bliss ---same profit reporting
--- End quote ---
The in-game entity (corp or alliance) has to be run with the intention of having a net increase in isk value.   This drives different decisions on the part of an organization's leadership.

--- Quote from: Arvo Katsuya on 11 Jul 2010, 11:17 ---I think LDIS comes as close as they come to that sort of model described. We've been doing it the whole time. :)

--- End quote ---
We also have been making adjustments as we go.  Initially implementing a system and then tweaking it as we learn.  Initial we did more of a profit sharing system, this however made it difficult for account managers to do basic budgeting.  There is a constant in and out flow of isk, but whenever payday hits, it is nice to have liquid isk around to pay folks.  A wage system of some kind provides for that.

In the end, a corp needs to offer the characters (and players) something they can not just do on their own in an NPC corp/corp of 1.  To be for-profit, the corp has to consider a much larger picture in terms of what they do.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version