Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that small, portable credit scanners can be used for facilitating personal transactions? (p. 90)

Author Topic: The Best of Sierra  (Read 769 times)

Graanvlokkie

The Best of Sierra
« on: 06 Sep 2010, 12:27 »

I originally posted this elsewhere, but thought I would share it here too.

I read an article about retro games, entitled "The Best of Sierra", which I just had to share. The original article is found here at http://games.news24.com/index.php/retro-friday-the-best-of-sierra/

The list includes some of my all time favourite Sierra games, such as Leisure Suite Larry 1, Police Quest: In Pursuit of the Death Angel, and Phantasmagoria. These are games from a time where immersion wasn’t about epic sound or graphics.

If I had a proper internet connection I would defiantly buy Phantasmagoria. I have never been so intrigued and horrified by a story either before or since, with a truly epic end sequence!

I was pleasantly surprised by the number of the titles I had played, and enjoyed. You just don’t get adventure games like these anymore, do you?

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
Re: The Best of Sierra
« Reply #1 on: 06 Sep 2010, 14:32 »

Quest for Glory series was something that I liked.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #2 on: 06 Sep 2010, 17:18 »

Phantasmagoria was good, but I wouldn't really call it horrifying. The acting was so absolutely abhorrent that I couldn't really be horrified by it. The concept and story were sound, but "THE BED TRIED TO GRAB ME!!!" is really all that sticks in my head.

Was a good game though.

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #3 on: 06 Sep 2010, 18:42 »

Another honorable mention they touch on in there is The Colonel's Bequest.  The other Laura Bow mystery (which I never remember the name of) was terribad, but The Colonel's Bequest was stellar.

Gabriel Knight was also pretty good of a series, honestly. Space Quest, who can forget? Etc etc etc.

Though of the era, the best game made during the time was done by Virgin, so everyone else can suck it. Prior to Virgin making the best game of the period in 1993 (who can guess? C'mon, someone can, I'm sure), it was entirely owned by LucasArts.

You know, back when they hired innovative, talented designers and not people who just try to milk the Star Wars franchise. . .

Benjamin Shepherd

« Reply #4 on: 06 Sep 2010, 21:48 »

Phantasmagoria was good, but I wouldn't really call it horrifying. The acting was so absolutely abhorrent that I couldn't really be horrified by it. The concept and story were sound, but "THE BED TRIED TO GRAB ME!!!" is really all that sticks in my head.

Was a good game though.

Oh my god, I was a young kid when that came out. Played a bit of the game, my grandmother played it in her spare time. Acting was horrific, but the mid 90s pushed FMVs way up there. The effects were awesome, especially if you mess up at the end and the demon rips open the woman's face, just with his hands.